Should I just give in and buy a siren?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Should I just give in and buy a siren?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I've been battling with what my "gross knife" is for a while now, that being what I bring out on bike rides, shorter hikes, just wherever I'm sweating the most and don't want a fixed blade. I've gone through a few natives, and I've experimented with strapping a knife to my pack or elsewhere so I don't need a salt knife but it doesn't work great for me. I do like the native a lot, but I always feel like I could be doing better. I also LOVE the waterway, and figure the siren has to be an extension of that spectacular handle design.

What initially pushed me away from it was it's size, but I've gotten used to using the Caribbean at work so I'm pretty much fine with that now. Now the only thing holding me back is the different closing method and the fact that I've just bought a few new natives to replace the old ones.

Should just cut my losses and get a siren instead?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
VooDooChild

Re: Should I just give in and buy a siren?

Post by VooDooChild »

I feel like spyderco needs to sort out the lock issue on the siren.

Pacific salt?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
fixall

Post by fixall »

I think the Siren would be a great choice. Mine lives in my tackle box and I love it. May I ask, why not another Carribbean for your "yuck" knife? The only reason I ask is because I own the Siren and have been giving some thought to picking up a Carribbean to take on the boat with me (currently have a Salt 2 Wharncliffe with a Spyderedge for that purpose).

Personally, for bike rides, I like to carry the Assist Salt now. On a bike ride, I once had to cut a cat free that was tangled in fishing line and poly straps by the docks. I was carrying my Salt 2 Wharncliffe, and I really would have appreciated the blunt tip of the Assist, so I grabbed one for future use. In my younger days I was a volunteer firefighter and glass breakers and seat belt cutters were often used. I figure car wrecks and trapped animals are the two most severe issues I'm likely to face while riding my bike, so the features of the Assist Salt are perfect.
Last edited by fixall on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fixall

Post by fixall »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 pm

Pacific salt?
Good point.

I've used mine while salmon fishing and have really put it to work. I can't see any danger from the lock, but it is annoying when it feels like it's disengaging in use. I do hope Spyderco gets that figured out soon. I'm pretty confident they will.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

fixall wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:33 pm
I think the Siren would be a great choice. Mine lives in my tackle box and I love it. May I ask, why not another Carribbean for your "yuck" knife? The only reason I ask is because I own the Siren and have been giving some thought to picking up a Carribbean to take on the boat with me (currently have a Salt 2 Wharncliffe with a Spyderedge for that purpose).
I use a Caribbean at work, and love it! But I prefer a lockback or bbl for super active occasions since those locks keep the blade secured when closed better than a detent does.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

VooDooChild wrote:

Pacific salt?
What specifically is wrong with it? Just light spring tension?
Lightly insane.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Pacific salt?
What specifically is wrong with it? Just light spring tension?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88875
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Siren isn't difficult to close:

https://streamable.com/dfnhlj

It's a nice knife. The grip area is a bit smaller than on the Waterway though, just so you know.

Even though mine has the lock issue where the lockbar can pop up when putting a lot of pressure on the cutting edge, the lock-up has always remained secure.

It's one of the better models from Spyderco current line-up IMO.
:unicorn
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I've been carrying my Siren for walking and some light jogging. I also like that the backlock has a better self close and closed blade retention than liner type detents. I've only ever used my Siren to cut soft stuff so far though, so I can't comment on the lockbar when applying pressure to the cutting edge. As for other aspects of the Siren: the LC200N makes for a nice corrosion proof blade, the subtle belly is a joy to cut with, the ergonomics are right up my alley, the lock release is smooth and easy to operate with either hand for me, and it doesn't hurt that the design is easy on the eyes. I love mine.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 pm
Even though mine has the lock issue where the lockbar can pop up when putting a lot of pressure on the cutting edge, the lock-up has always remained secure.
gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 am
I've only ever used my Siren to cut soft stuff so far though, so I can't comment on the lockbar when applying pressure to the cutting edge.
To be entirely honest I rarely if ever use my pocket knife hard enough to cause the problem described. The most extreme thing I had to use my on hand "gross knife" for was cutting up a shirt to make makeshift bandages after a cycling crash, I think the Siren will be able to handle that. I think that's it! I'm selling my Natives and buying a Siren! I'll come back to the Native when more compelling non frn models come around.

Expect to see a few Natives up for sale on the spydie swap in the coming days. :D
Lightly insane.

fixall

Post by fixall »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:36 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 pm
gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 am
I've only ever used my Siren to cut soft stuff so far though, so I can't comment on the lockbar when applying pressure to the cutting edge.
To be entirely honest I rarely if ever use my pocket knife hard enough to cause the problem described. The most extreme thing I had to use my on hand "gross knife" for was cutting up a shirt to make makeshift bandages after a cycling crash, I think the Siren will be able to handle that. I think that's it! I'm selling my Natives and buying a Siren! I'll come back to the Native when more compelling non frn models come around.

Expect to see a few Natives up for sale on the spydie swap in the coming days. :D
When cutting the head off a salmon (sorry), the lockbar on mine does come up a bit. I used to think it was an issue with how I was holding it, but after seeing the thread, I realized it was a bit of an issue. You likely feel a bit of movement even when doing light-medium cutting. At the right angle, it doesn't take much pressure at all to raise the lockbar on mine. Here's the thing though... It in no way effects it's performance (or from what I can see, safety). It's a super minor annoyance but is basically a non-issue in my opinion. I definitely wouldn't let the lockbar hold me back from buying it.

And because this thread needs pictures...

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like so much about this knife except one nagging little detail that I can't compromise on, and that's how far the grip is from the edge. I guess it makes sense for cleaning fish, it keeps your hand out of the yuck, but I've got a really strong preference for having my grip as close to the edge as possible so I have to pass. If I ended up with this knife I would have to grind a finger choil into the front of the handle scales so that space can at least be used for something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don't use folders very hard, so I had to check... but nope. No such issue.
There is a tiny bit of lockrock, but nothing I've noticed before I just now specifically checked for it.

I have to say I like the siren, but I also like the Native salt and use them quite interchangeably.
For some reason I instinctively grab the Native 5 when I'm not sure what I'll be using my knife for. I'm not sure it's actually so, but the design just ooze "generic use". I'm sure the Siren could be just as good as a generic all-round knife, but instead it has become my go-to knife on outings where I expect to be more focused on fishing. If anything, that's what it was meant to do, so both knives is getting to live the life they deserve to in that regard.

I've said it before, but my appreciation for the Native is kind of unexpected. If I just sit down and fiddle with it, it's pretty obvious that it isn't exactly made to fit my hand. It's OK, but certainly not great. That doesn't seem to bother me much in use though, when I'm focused on the actual cutting task, I just appreciate how well it does in a wide range of roles.

The Siren, although being a lager knife, kind of surprisingly fits my small hand better than the Native. So it's ergonomically great, very smooth to operate and even the weight increase over the Native salt isn't very noticeable in pocket.

I'd be hard pressed to choose only one.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:55 am
I like so much about this knife except one nagging little detail that I can't compromise on, and that's how far the grip is from the edge. I guess it makes sense for cleaning fish, it keeps your hand out of the yuck, but I've got a really strong preference for having my grip as close to the edge as possible so I have to pass. If I ended up with this knife I would have to grind a finger choil into the front of the handle scales so that space can at least be used for something.

Since most of my cutting tasks are fairly light I spend a lot of time either way choked up or holding my knife sideways. If I can do detail work with the waterway this’ll do just fine.
Lightly insane.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is a very nice design, hampered only by the lock issues which are more cosmetic than functional. I'm sure Spyderco will CQI it, if they haven't already. Mine has the lock issue, but light thumb pressure on the lock bar is sufficient to keep it down. I'm still undecided on whether or not to call Spyderco about it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In just saying, the potential for an Advocate Salt is there with a little Dremel work and some imagination.
spc247gp$01-spyderco.jpg

Being linerless makes that very easy to do.
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:55 pm
In just saying, the potential for an Advocate Salt is there with a little Dremel work and some imagination. spc247gp$01-spyderco.jpg

It’s funny I was just thinking about doing this to make the ergos more similar to the waterway.
Lightly insane.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 pm
Evil D wrote:
In just saying, the potential for an Advocate Salt is there with a little Dremel work and some imagination. spc247gp$01-spyderco.jpg

It’s funny I was just thinking about doing this to make the ergos more similar to the waterway.

Yeah really. I don't know how I missed that. I had Advocate on the brain. It suddenly makes this model much more attractive to me. Maybe if it gets serrations we'll take a closer look.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:

YMMV, but I've tried holding the Siren like there's an index choil. I don't feel like I gain much control compared to say, a Chief or Millie. Everyone is different, but I've never had a moment while using it that I missed the choil.
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:54 pm
Evil D wrote:

YMMV, but I've tried holding the Siren like there's an index choil. I don't feel like I gain much control compared to say, a Chief or Millie. Everyone is different, but I've never had a moment while using it that I missed the choil.
Agreed.
I have slim fingers and can safely choke up if needed, but I hardly ever feel like that's a preferable grip.