Cat underrated?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Cat underrated?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

It was just a few weeks ago I bought my brother his first Spyderco the Cat. Just like I thought he loves it, especially how easy it is to open. He's an amputee so one handed opening is a necessity and the Cat is fully capable with its ultra smooth action.

Well today marks the first sharpening I'm doing for him. He must not use it much or Bd1n is doing way better than I thought it would. The thing that really stood out was the similarities to the Urban. It's pretty much an Urban with a liner lock.
This makes me wonder why does the Urban get soo much love? Is it the lighter weight Frn? I think the Cat hasn't had any exclusives or sprints so maybe that's it. Or could there be a huge following that I don't know about?
JRinFL

Re: Cat underrated?

Post by JRinFL »

The Cat is a good little knife. I don’t understand why it is so often ignored. I think a different color would help sales and forum chatter.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jdw

Post by jdw »

I will always chime in as a fan of the Cat. It's one of my favorite small Spydies and it always finds some pocket time. I know that it goes against the grain for a 'budget' knife but I would really like to see a run with a steel upgrade and a G10 color change. XHP with brown or green scales sounds good to me. You can't go wrong with the original design though. It's really first class as is.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I am a huge fan of the Cat and also think that it is underrated! At least it doesn't get the amount of "verbal attention" that I think it should. :D Although, it has been brought up a few times on the forums here lately, so maybe it gets more attention than I realize... I still think it's a big time sleeper model. :P

Fortunately, it must sell well because it has been in the lineup for a long time! Has also seen four different steel changes in it's time. The initial model was actually carbon fiber and S30V but was discontinued for quality reasons. I think it would be cool to see a sprint run in carbon fiber and S35VN or S45VN as a sort of redemption run. ;)

I really like BD1N but would love to see the Cat run in a new color G10. Earth tones are hot right now and something like tan or brown would suit the Cat well in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am a very vocal fan of the Cat. It really is one of the best designs and best values in the Spyderco lineup. Not long ago I did a thread on this asking for an upgraded version, not a replacement. I'd like to see SPY27 and an earth tone scale color. This is a great little knife. I actually liked it better than a similar sized model that cost more than three times as much.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't actually like the liner lock. For that reason, I prefer several other small-ish knives to the cat (Chap and Dfly come immediately to mind). If I'm looking for a 'restrictive jurisdiction' knife, I prefer a slip joint, to make it legal in the widest range of places, which is why I like the Urban (and the UKPK and the Pingo) more than the Cat.

I admit that now you're making me want to pick up a Cat and try it.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I know the Cat isn't an expensive knife but mine didn't thrill me much - as it was my first Spyderco I'd expected it to be amazing. The blade was completely off centre, there was nothing comfortable about the handle. Shortly after that I bought a Hap 40 Meerkat which was in a different league altogether - I loved it instantly and still do. So I kept the Meerkat and sold the Meh!Cat.
(I have the K390 Urban which I also love. So blade size isn't the issue.)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:29 pm
I don't actually like the liner lock. For that reason, I prefer several other small-ish knives to the cat (Chap and Dfly come immediately to mind). If I'm looking for a 'restrictive jurisdiction' knife, I prefer a slip joint, to make it legal in the widest range of places, which is why I like the Urban (and the UKPK and the Pingo) more than the Cat.

I admit that now you're making me want to pick up a Cat and try it.
As you know I am not a liner lock fan, either. However, for the money, this is a great design. I got mine in 2011 or so, it is 440C, and has jimping top and bottom on the ramp and choil. It has G10 scales and is set up like a much more expensive knife. It had better fit and finish than my first run Chaparral did that I paid a ton of money for. I got the Cat for a cheap travel knife and was blown away by it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thunderpants wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:16 pm
... So I kept the Meerkat and sold the Meh!Cat.
Meh!Cat...I laughed. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I agree that the Cat is a underrated and is a surprisingly useful little package. I would love to see some different scale colors and super steels offered though, these small blades are where the top end steels (stainless would be my preference) really shine.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Cat is marketed as a “value folder”. Given its capabilities, that, by definition, is an underrating.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
awa54

Post by awa54 »

In concept I really like the Cat, but the reality was underwhelming. Mine was a 440C/no jimping version and suffered from so-so action due to the polymer washers. I made brass washers for it, which improved the action a lot, but was still not happy with the edges I was getting with the 440C, so gifted it to a friend, who had no knife. Just a step up(ish) to BD1 isn't enough to get my interest in a second try, so I'll be sticking with my Urbans and Dragonflies.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Someone is reading my mind, I was looking at Cat like 5 minutes ago, open forum and find this :D

I was wondering if Sal would ever pull the trigger and get some liner/compression, or any other non-ambidextrous locks, which were not from Golden, in the left handed version.

So MANY great designs, makes me frustrated knowing that there is basically no chance of getting a lefty version.

I'll keep trying lobbying anyway :D
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 am
In concept I really like the Cat, but the reality was underwhelming. Mine was a 440C/no jimping version and suffered from so-so action due to the polymer washers. I made brass washers for it, which improved the action a lot, but was still not happy with the edges I was getting with the 440C, so gifted it to a friend, who had no knife. Just a step up(ish) to BD1 isn't enough to get my interest in a second try, so I'll be sticking with my Urbans and Dragonflies.
The Cat has been updated again from BD1 to BD1N, which in my opinion is a very nice change.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am
awa54 wrote:
The Cat has been updated again from BD1 to BD1N, which in my opinion is a very nice change.
Yep and the action on my BD1N is very smooth, the choils could use some jimping though.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Doc Dan wrote: I am a very vocal fan of the Cat. It really is one of the best designs and best values in the Spyderco lineup. Not long ago I did a thread on this asking for an upgraded version, not a replacement. I'd like to see SPY27 and an earth tone scale color. This is a great little knife. I actually liked it better than a similar sized model that cost more than three times as much.
I would be lining up behind you for a coyote Spy27 Cat if becomes a reality. If the demand is there I don't see why it couldn't happen.
Thunderpants wrote: I know the Cat isn't an expensive knife but mine didn't thrill me much - as it was my first Spyderco I'd expected it to be amazing. The blade was completely off centre, there was nothing comfortable about the handle. Shortly after that I bought a Hap 40 Meerkat which was in a different league altogether - I loved it instantly and still do. So I kept the Meerkat and sold the Meh!Cat.
(I have the K390 Urban which I also love. So blade size isn't the issue.)
I would love to see the Cat with a different lock but think the phantom lock would probably hurt its sales. I do like the Meerkat it's an awesome knife but doesn't seem that popular maybe it's another underrated kat.
awa54 wrote:
The little time I did have with it the action was what stood out most. If I get the chance I'll check to see if they upgraded the washers unless someone chimes in first.
pantagana23 wrote: Someone is reading my mind, I was looking at Cat like 5 minutes ago, open forum and find this :D

I was wondering if Sal would ever pull the trigger and get some liner/compression, or any other non-ambidextrous locks, which were not from Golden, in the left handed version.

So MANY great designs, makes me frustrated knowing that there is basically no chance of getting a lefty version.

I'll keep trying lobbying anyway :D
As a fellow lefty don't let a right hand only design stop you from trying a knife. The Manix 2 is the only ambidextrous knife I own, don't have any lefties.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am
awa54 wrote:
Yep and the action on my BD1N is very smooth, the choils could use some jimping though.
Personally, I love the smooth choil and thumb ramp on this knife. :o
awa54

Post by awa54 »

@Mushroom

I agree, BD1N is a solid improvement over the 440C
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 pm
@Mushroom

I agree, BD1N is a solid improvement over the 440C
Is this any different to the 440c? Still has teflon washers but the pivot is on the large side not sure how it compares to previous iterations. Seems like money cold be saved by leaving out that last spacer and set of screws. That might help offset the cost of bronze washers?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hate that some of you have had bad experiences with the Cat. Most people really love the little knife. 440C is not my favorite steel, but it is okay. The overall design and fit and finish are really good, though. If I could get a steel upgrade I'd get another one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050