Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Sharp Guy »

brancron wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm
Is it safe to say that the Slysz Bowie has caused more tear-filled laments, more bitter recriminations, more morbid salivations, and more bank overdrafts than any previous Spyderco model?
LOL hard to say but the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman was probably pretty close

BTW, I think the whole GOAT thing is just plain stupid. If nothing else it's highly subjective
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have zero interest in this one. I'd carry my Endela over this any day of the week! :D Good luck to those trying!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

When (not if) this hits Europe, it will be at least 500-600 Euros. I would sooner buy a PJ Small Sebenza with a nice damascus blade.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:49 am
brancron wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm
Is it safe to say that the Slysz Bowie has caused more tear-filled laments, more bitter recriminations, more morbid salivations, and more bank overdrafts than any previous Spyderco model?
LOL hard to say but the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman was probably pretty close

BTW, I think the whole GOAT thing is just plain stupid. If nothing else it's highly subjective
I have bite my tongue regarding my feelings towards this knife's perceived popularity but I couldn't agree more about calling this knife the GOAT. ;) I want this knife but I personally wouldn't call it the "GOAT."
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:05 pm
I have bite my tongue regarding my feelings towards this knife's perceived popularity
Yeah it seemed to launch a youtube career almost lol i kid
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

Is the Slysz Bowie a comparable build quality to a George VECP?
kobold

Post by kobold »

aquaseafoamshaman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I would also like to know how they stand.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Neatknife

Post by Neatknife »

Sounds like this knife is not for everyone, but this was known with the original release. I hope this sells out quick, so that the next sprint Slysz Bowie will be queued up for future production. I am getting in line for this one. Hyped knife, yes. Bad knife, no. Holy Grail, TBD.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

The classic Bowie was perfect Spyderco, ticked all the boxes for me. And now it’s made in M390 and this sharp looking satin blade! Perfect Spyderco became even more perfect... I absolutely love that look. And steel. Color is nice as well, should age well... for those, who’d be actually using it ;)

BTW, think about us here in Europe. Overseas shipment and 34% of taxes (duty and vat, not added but cascaded, and calculated on price AND shipment together). So a $250 knife purchased in US becomes $400 delivered here. Still love that Bowie and need one in my life :)
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 am
Spyderman91 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 am

Correct me if I'm wrong... But wasn't the original MSRP of the Bowie in the 200s? I've only known the crazy exuberant aftermarket prices.
In 2014 which was a long time ago and before MAP and all the price increases it had about a $280 street price. I think MSRP was $500.

I have handled the Slysz multiple times. The fit and finish was amazing and the action as smooth as glass. For those who like the design it is a great knife. I was critical of it back then and was again in this thread. It’s a great knife, just not for me.
****... You and other folks called it Knifejoy just announced that the Bowie will be blue anodized at an MSRP of 400 bucks....

At that price point I'd rather get my first CRK, or another Hinderer. I love my Spyders but I can't justify that price, even if it for the "coveted" bowie.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wish it had that soft stonewashed finish on the blade. $400 may seem a lot until we start seeing them on eBay for $700-$800 if not more. Good luck to all who really want one!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
brancron

Post by brancron »

aquaseafoamshaman wrote:
Having owned a Les George ESV (which I still have) and a Slysz Bowie (which I traded to @RadioactiveSpyder) (I've also handled a couple VECPs), my opinion is that they're pretty similar in terms of build quality, but I might give the edge to the Les George.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:07 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 am
Spyderman91 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 am

Correct me if I'm wrong... But wasn't the original MSRP of the Bowie in the 200s? I've only known the crazy exuberant aftermarket prices.
In 2014 which was a long time ago and before MAP and all the price increases it had about a $280 street price. I think MSRP was $500.

I have handled the Slysz multiple times. The fit and finish was amazing and the action as smooth as glass. For those who like the design it is a great knife. I was critical of it back then and was again in this thread. It’s a great knife, just not for me.
****... You and other folks called it Knifejoy just announced that the Bowie will be blue anodized at an MSRP of 400 bucks....

At that price point I'd rather get my first CRK, or another Hinderer. I love my Spyders but I can't justify that price, even if it for the "coveted" bowie.
Just to clarify...MAP on this is $400. MSRP is $570.

I do understand the sticker shock, but honestly after buying CRKs and Shiros it hits me a little less hard. That's probably a really bad thing! Anyhow I'm gonna try for one. I'll totally admit it: I want to see what all the hype is about.
Last edited by JuPaul on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

brancron wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:00 pm
aquaseafoamshaman wrote:
Having owned a Les George ESV (which I still have) and a Slysz Bowie (which I traded to @RadioactiveSpyder) (I've also handled a couple VECPs), my opinion is that they're pretty similar in terms of build quality, but I might give the edge to the Les George.
Thanks for the info! Those ESVs are cool.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I paid $280 for the OG. At $400 without that beautiful mirror Stonewash it’s a no way Jose. I was out anyways though lol.
Josh
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:43 pm
Just to clarify...MAP on this is $400. MSRP is $570.

I do understand the sticker shock, but honestly after buying CRKs and Shiros it hits me a little less hard. That's probably a really bad thing! Anyhow I'm gonna try for one. I'll totally admit it: I want to see what all the hype is about.
This. In my case, after buying my first Demko and Hinderer, the sting is a little less... And between the Ano, inflation, change in MAP, etc. I figured this would come in around the $400 mark. I too want to see what the hype is about, so I'm gonna give it a shot me thinks.
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Took this photo more than 6 years ago... would look cool in blue and that sharp-lookin satin m390 :D

eRoc

Post by eRoc »

PiterM wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:02 pm
Took this photo more than 6 years ago... would look cool in blue and that sharp-lookin satin m390 :D
If you still have those two cartridges from 6 years ago, selling them at today's prices might get you a new bowie. :D
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

I'm predicting 37 blue SB's get thrown up on Ebay the very first day.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

St Nicks teasing a dlc 4v SB with either a red g10 slab or red anodized handles in the comments.