High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:05 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 am
And please... keep the pointy tip of the older generation Delicas!
WORD!

For me this depends on how much tapering on the spine is going on... If this model tapers exactly like the current Delica, but has a thin, high hollow grind, the tip would get very fine (fragile?!) anyway. Then the a bit reenforcing drop would be nice to have!

This knife will be about slicing, not about an extremely pointy tip for me...

Just my 2c of course. I don´t like when I have to worry about the tip when having to work fast and can´t take real care.
I never took care of my Delica first gen. In fact i didn't like it at first, it was a classic case of aquired taste :) I was weaned on Buck 110 and Schrade LB7:s and thought the Delica was very Toys-R-Us at first, but that tip never broke in spite of me jabbing it into wooden poles to get both hands free etc.

I believe you!

But still: The excact "first gen Delica tip" but in a thin high hollow... this could get a bit too fragile perhaps - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would very much appreciate if Spyderco would come with more hollow grinds on their knives. Anyone who ever used the GB2 knows what a difference it makes (wenn done as well as on the GB2)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

[/quote]
I never took care of my Delica first gen. In fact i didn't like it at first, it was a classic case of aquired taste :) I was weaned on Buck 110 and Schrade LB7:s and thought the Delica was very Toys-R-Us at first, but that tip never broke in spite of me jabbing it into wooden poles to get both hands free etc.
[/quote]

Enjoy hearing others' journeys and perceptions... I suspect they'd be found adjacent to the Legos? :D

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It will be very cool if they grind them to .010 BTE or thinner. :cool:
PStone

Post by PStone »

Would love to keep the 2.5mm blade stock for pivot/lock strength, but grind that profile down to a 2mm or less spine.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

100% yes. Can't wait to see how they execute this concept. I have no doubt they nail the high hollow grind. The question is how thin behind the edge they will go. If most Spydercos average around .020 bte at 15 dps, will they go .015? .010? I doubt they'd go much thinner, but ten thou would be awesome, less than that would be epic. I'm in almost no matter what
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything but like many here, I'm curious about a few things. I wonder if the blade stock will be different or if it will be the same as it currently is except with a high hollow grind and thinner edge? I also wonder if there will be any other changes, such as using the linerless handles from the SALT series for a weight reduction?

None the less, I'm excited to see where this leads.
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi guys,

Sorry to rain on our parade, but I was just informed that the thin Delica cannot be ground in K390, so we're going to have to settle for VG-10. Which is probably OK for a better comparison with a standard Delica. :o

sal
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 pm
Hi guys,

Sorry to rain on our parade, but I was just informed that the thin Delica cannot be ground in K390, so we're going to have to settle for VG-10. Which is probably OK for a better comparison with a standard Delica. :o

sal
I’m okay with this personally. Vg10 will be easy to maintain and relatively cheap meaning more people will get their hands on it. Plus the cheaper it is the more likely people are to really put it to use.

Excited to see the first stage of this project come to fruition, and even more excited to see where it goes.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

VG-10 in the first iteration of a design seems to be common with other steels coming after, if the sales are there. So this makes sense. But I am curious.

Would this be due to the properties of K390 or the Delica blade shape? I know there are other hollow grind models in XHP (swayback) M4 (Bradley) and I think a 4v (Manix) among others I’m sure. Or is it just wanting to keep cost down?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi guys,

sal

I actually prefer this in this model...in my experience VG10 takes a very fine edge really easy, which is especially nice in such a high performance model and people like me with at best average sharpening skills.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Hi guys,

sal
This is only a minor disappointment. On the one hand everytime I sharpen vg10 I am blown away by how well it takes an edge, and it will serve as a true baseline to test the demand for the performance geometry we are all really talking about here.

On the other hand I am afraid a large portion of people who would have purchased a knife with this concept in an exotic steel will pass now, erroneously reflecting poorly on the enhanced performance concept.

I wish we could have substituted k390 for a different, easier to grind, but still rare steel instead of vg10, something like 52100, but it's ok.

A high hollow ground, thin behind the edge delica will still be an amazing knife, I just hope it is still recognized as such.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I suppose the obvious question is why was HHG K390 not feasible?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm
sal wrote:
This is only a minor disappointment. On the one hand everytime I sharpen vg10 I am blown away by how well it takes an edge, and it will serve as a true baseline to test the demand for the performance geometry we are all really talking about here.

On the other hand I am afraid a large portion of people who would have purchased a knife with this concept in an exotic steel will pass now, erroneously reflecting poorly on the enhanced performance concept.

I wish we could have substituted k390 for a different, easier to grind, but still rare steel instead of vg10, something like 52100, but it's ok.

A high hollow ground, thin behind the edge delica will still be an amazing knife, I just hope it is still recognized as such.

I am afraid you could be right, though this would be really a bit silly of those people, at least should their actual goal be to try out this performance geometry. I think VG10 lays as perfect basis for that! As we both said, the edge it takes is really great and can be achieved really easy, and I think this is what counts here!

As said, in this case for me an easier to sharpen steel is even an advantage over K390, since this makes it easier to play around with different edge angles, repair chips if one goes TOO löw (in angle) and so on. And to try out what such a geometry can take (or not) for me is the interesting thing here and the good thing with VG10 is that it allows people with less skills or just basic sharpening equipment to join the game better :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

VG-10 is fine for a first release, though pending actual use of this knife, I'll likely be watching for an upgraded steel in the future.

Does this mean that I may finally own a "basic black" Sakai made FRN Spydie?!?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm still in for one. I'd like to see how very thin VG-10 performs and maybe it will make me warm up to it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Vg10 is fine. I am still interested.

Wouldn’t Vtoku2 or Super Blue be able to support that thin edge? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:27 am
Vg10 is fine. I am still interested.

Wouldn’t Vtoku2 or Super Blue be able to support that thin edge? :D
A tiny bummer about K390.

I agree that VG10 is good. V- Toku 2 or SB would be awesome. Clad Hap 40 would be cool and easier to grind than K390 if the carbide rich core could support the thin grind.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I think vg10 will be fine.

What color frn do you guys think it will be? I'd rather it not be black.

I think it would be cool if all performance runs were the same color. A shade of red or orange perhaps?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

VG10 has decent characteristics across the board, but none of which I consider high performance. Sorry.