Lil Native Tanto?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Lil Native Tanto

Yes
34%
No
54%
Depends on the lock
11%

Total votes: 35

SG89

Lil Native Tanto?

Post by SG89 »

What say ye?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Re: Lil Native Tanto?

Post by Evil D »

Interested. Still want a tanto Military and Dragonfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

'Twould be cute!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I'm saying yes not because I would use it, not because I think it would sell well, but because I think it would be hilarious to see such an aggressive stabby shape on such a cute little knife. Currently the Pochi (and I would say the matriarch 2 but that does have actual use) is the only slightly comical, light hearted, model in the lineup. I would absolutely love to see this come to fruition just to have more fun in the lineup.

They'd have to go all out though, s110v (because more numbers), integral Ti comp lock, od green micarta front scale. It has to really scream "I will murder you!" as quietly as possible. And if they want to add a voice box that literally says that I'd be fine with that too :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted no. :o

There seems to be a new trend of just taking pre-existing models and slightly modifying them and then "ta-da new knife!" I'm not the biggest fan of this trend. Given the choice, I would much rather be patient and see a brand new model developed.

I don't doubt that something like this would sell though and it's easy enough to design that it's probably worth their time to explore if they see enough interest.

Unfortunately for the backlock only crowd though, I do feel that it would have to be a compression lock to maximize sales.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am
I'm saying yes not because I would use it, not because I think it would sell well, but because I think it would be hilarious to see such an aggressive stabby shape on such a cute little knife. Currently the Pochi (and I would say the matriarch 2 but that does have actual use) is the only slightly comical, light hearted, model in the lineup. I would absolutely love to see this come to fruition just to have more fun in the lineup.

They'd have to go all out though, s110v (because more numbers), integral Ti comp lock, od green micarta front scale. It has to really scream "I will murder you!" as quietly as possible. And if they want to add a voice box that literally says that I'd be fine with that too :D
They could call it the Chihuahua lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I, too, voted “No”, but a soft “No”.

I don’t want to stand in the way of the seeming “Ask and you shall receive” trend toward making Spyderco a custom shop.

This trend does seem to have slowed new in-house designs, but, no matter, all those old designs (collabs included) that JD raves about are out there to be found and enjoyed.

If the new designs were coming at the rate they were earlier in my time here, I would not now possess my recently-arrived and fascinating Turnbull T-Mag.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted "depends on the lock" (backlock for me of course)

I´ll admit that I generally the Lil Native is not my favorite: Heavy for its size, much to thick blade, bulkier package than a Chaparral, but less ( and less slicey) edge
But in a Tanto, as a brutal little hard use beast, it would make sense to me! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:14 pm
Voted "depends on the lock" (backlock for me of course)

I´ll admit that I generally the Lil Native is not my favorite: Heavy for its size, much to thick blade, bulkier package than a Chaparral, but less ( and less slicey) edge
But in a Tanto, as a brutal little hard use beast, it would make sense to me! :)
I also voted for "depends on the lock". In truth I didn't like tantos but Spyderco's PM2 tanto changed that for me.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

No thanks.

I am saving my tanto vote for the only Tanto, I would want.

A Ti frame lock, Lum Tanto.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kobold

Post by kobold »

I voted no. I am just not a tanto guy. There are a few tanto knives out there that are tempting ( https://i.imgur.com/zHpqton.jpg ), but a Native wouldn't do the trick.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted yes. I think the smaller size would greatly compliment the shape of a tanto. One reason I tend to stay away is they’re usually longer blades and I feel I lose the control of the tip and tanto point. The Battlestation is a good example of greater control due its smaller size. I don’t like trailing points either for the same reason. Loss of tip control. But put them together on a smaller package and it just works. So I am definitely in for a Lil’ Native tanto. Preferably the backlock version.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I can actually see this being an extremely useful little utility folder.. but it's not for me. I don't really mind tantos in theory, I've just never quite been able to warm up to them for some reason. Voted no. :(
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted No as well, sorry. I don’t see how a tanto would help the model. I’d much rather see a wharncliffe, especially one with thinner stock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001