Elastic Ceramic

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KKnives_Switzerland

Re: Elastic Ceramic

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

archangel wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:48 am
How is a ceramic blade being produced? I have no idea. But I can imagine that Spyderco would need to invest in different / new machinery maybe in order to be able to produce say a mule with this? :confused:
I/we could do a mule for him, that would be absolutely possible. If Spyderco decided to use the material for production of blades, let's say for a PM2 for example, the entire blade could be manufactured in Switzerland, including the edge. Then shipped to the USA for assembly. Because as OP suggested/assumed, indeed very specialized equipment is neccessary for working the elastic ceramic. So the possibility exists - who knows, maybe it will happen - whether or not projects like these become reality, depends on many more conditions than the question whether it's technically possible or not. Time will tell I guess. Also, quite soon we will see these knives out in the wild and then the people will decide how it develops. Because the first batch of knives will start shipping in about 2-2.5 weeks ETA (Preordering is possible, latest video on my YouTube channel for info; link below.)
https://youtu.be/zhjU2pWO0Ns
Little known fact as a side note: there was a Spyderco knife made in Switzerland in the early 2000s by Klötzli in Bern. Super rare, easily sells for a grand afaik when they pop up. Forgot the name of the model in question, but I'm sure someone here would know and I saw some posts on it a while ago. So it wouldn't be the first time for Spyderco to have something made in Switzerland. :D
KKnives_Switzerland

Senfkarte wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 am
The question for the possibility or impossibility to sharpen this material came into my mind too. I think it may be possible, that it maybe could be possible to sharpen. I imagine that with that elasticity the main problem (micro chips) could be eliminated (see: https://youtu.be/IDoWZ2-2yVk for sharpening ceramic knives) but that is just my guess and I don't know for sure.
Sharpens nicely, I quickly touched on the subject in the latest video I linked in my last post - but I will release a full sharpening tutorial video. There are two or three things to keep in mind when sharpening this stuff, but once you get a hang of it, it's not a big deal. ...not that you will have to sharpen it often anyways, haha.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 pm
Little known fact as a side note: there was a Spyderco knife made in Switzerland in the early 2000s by Klötzli in Bern. Super rare, easily sells for a grand afaik when they pop up. Forgot the name of the model in question, but I'm sure someone here would know and I saw some posts on it a while ago. So it wouldn't be the first time for Spyderco to have something made in Switzerland. :D

C22: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... ael_Walker

Extracted from another post by "sal" on the Spyderco Forum:

"...
HP Klotzli came up with the idea for a Walker/Spyderco collaboration. He also swanted to build it. It was his idea to use carbon fiber and he worked with Michael to develop manufacturing methods. I worked with Michael on the design. Michael is quite a genius.
HP made the knives for Spyderco. We made the ATS-34 blades in Golden and shipped them to Switzerland. He developed the carbon fiber and titanium mfg methods. HP does great work.
We thought about working with HP to make a slightly larger version of the C22 Walker. His wife Beah, had drawn a beautiful larger version by incrementally extending the pattern.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Roman, what is the total cost of the knife that is in pre-order? I assume the pre-order cost is just a deposit to hold a spot?
KKnives_Switzerland

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Roman, what is the total cost of the knife that is in pre-order? I assume the pre-order cost is just a deposit to hold a spot?
Nah, no paid spots. I don't make people paying for spots. The prices on the website are the full price.
KKnives_Switzerland

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 pm

C22: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... ael_Walker

Extracted from another post by "sal" on the Spyderco Forum:

"...
HP Klotzli came up with the idea for a Walker/Spyderco collaboration. He also swanted to build it. It was his idea to use carbon fiber and he worked with Michael to develop manufacturing methods. I worked with Michael on the design. Michael is quite a genius.
HP made the knives for Spyderco. We made the ATS-34 blades in Golden and shipped them to Switzerland. He developed the carbon fiber and titanium mfg methods. HP does great work.
We thought about working with HP to make a slightly larger version of the C22 Walker. His wife Beah, had drawn a beautiful larger version by incrementally extending the pattern.
There we go, thank you! :)
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:49 pm
Sharpens nicely, I quickly touched on the subject in the latest video I linked in my last post - but I will release a full sharpening tutorial video. There are two or three things to keep in mind when sharpening this stuff, but once you get a hang of it, it's not a big deal. ...not that you will have to sharpen it often anyways, haha.
Thanks for the reply. Even if it's not necessary to do often, I always find it very reassuring to know, that is can be done :D
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:36 am
I really like his videos, I do, but I take them with a grain of salt.

He had lc200n ranked above m4 and something else, and that has not been my experience at all.
If I'm not mistaken he (Pete from Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors) tested the same knife model in m4 again. The second time the knife was sent to him by one of his viewers and he got much better results with the second knife. So he concluded, that the heat treatment on his knife could be of.
But with a quick scroll through his videos I was not able to find the video, I remember, so maybe I'm wrong here.
KKnives_Switzerland

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

He had lc200n ranked above m4 and something else, and that has not been my experience at all.
If I'm not mistaken he (Pete from Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors) tested the same knife model in m4 again. The second time the knife was sent to him by one of his viewers and he got much better results with the second knife. So he concluded, that the heat treatment on his knife could be of.
But with a quick scroll through his videos I was not able to find the video, I remember, so maybe I'm wrong here.
Ah you are referring to Pete here, my bad, sorry. I thought you meant me.
KKnives_Switzerland

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

Ah you are referring to Pete here, my bad, sorry. I thought you meant me. Nevermind then! :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:24 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Nah, no paid spots. I don't make people paying for spots. The prices on the website are the full price.
:)

Order placed.
KKnives_Switzerland

Thank you!! :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
How is a ceramic blade being produced? I have no idea. But I can imagine that Spyderco would need to invest in different / new machinery maybe in order to be able to produce say a mule with this? :confused:
I/we could do a mule for him, that would be absolutely possible. If Spyderco decided to use the material for production of blades, let's say for a PM2 for example, the entire blade could be manufactured in Switzerland, including the edge. Then shipped to the USA for assembly. Because as OP suggested/assumed, indeed very specialized equipment is neccessary for working the elastic ceramic. So the possibility exists - who knows, maybe it will happen - whether or not projects like these become reality, depends on many more conditions than the question whether it's technically possible or not. Time will tell I guess. Also, quite soon we will see these knives out in the wild and then the people will decide how it develops. Because the first batch of knives will start shipping in about 2-2.5 weeks ETA (Preordering is possible, latest video on my YouTube channel for info; link below.)
What is the name of this ceramic stuff? I looked on your website, but did not find it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KKnives_Switzerland

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 pm
archangel wrote:
What is the name of this ceramic stuff? I looked on your website, but did not find it.
See, I still didn't get to update the website! We call it "High Impact Ceramic", or short form "HIC".
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

if its flexible, then it wouldnt be sharp
KKnives_Switzerland

mixmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:17 am
if its flexible, then it wouldnt be sharp
I wonder what brings you to this conclusion? (Which is incorrect btw, if you watch both my and Cedric&Ada's videos.) https://youtu.be/CjknZd2u6TQ
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Apart from this being higly interesting... it's such a shame that your last name isn't "Käse", Roman... :rolleyes:
notorious fidgeteer
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm
And didn't Roman say that the material was developed by BU anyway?
Its developed and made to spec by these guys, also a Swiss native manufacturer. https://en.bsq-tech.com/high-impact-ceramic
Seems to be a mixture of Zirconium Oxide and Alumina. The difference in type and size of their specific crystals is what gives it the flex and impact resistance. Interesting how it wasn't thought out before. Furnace technology might be the reason, I can only imagine the temps needed to sinter these ceramic powders in the right structure.