Misadventures with My Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Misadventures with My Military

Post by kennethsime »

Carried my Military for the first time in awhile today, and ran into a couple of hiccups.

The first came when I opened an Amazon package at work. Using what I swore was just the tip, I slit the sides of the packaging tape, then ran it right down the center. *boom* “Whoops,” I thought - wonder what that could be?

Turns out, I sliced right through a can of coffee. “Well, ****,” I thought, having never sliced threw a can before. “Is my edge ok?”

Yup, looks good. I proceeded to cut up 3-4 boxes of cardboard, Military sliced like a dream. After I emptied out the can, I noticed this little plastic insert in the can - any idea what it is?

Well, with work done, I cleaned of the blade and put out my trusty Millitary away. All is well, right? Almost, but not quite.

I noticed the scales of my Military (and maybe other knives, but I tend to carry my Military with these pants) has slowly been wearing a hole in my 5th pocket (or watch pocket), right where it bumps into my AirPods case.

Well, that’s a bummer. But I don’t think this happens with my jeans, so I guess I’ll blame it on my pants. Maybe I should carry the AirPods in the bottom of my pocket, and my Dragonfly in my watch pocket.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Re: Misadventures with My Military

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think at very least that should be a problem for the Apple warranty people....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

🤣Reminds me of the Z-Cut I gifted my friend. She proceeded to open a case of bottled water with it. Before I could get the word 'careful' out she cut through a few bottles.

If Im not mistaken that little insert in the can is where the Nitrogen is stored.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Haha! You split that can right open :) Not sure what that plastic thing is. Is it pressurized?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Yup, looks good. I proceeded to cut up 3-4 boxes of cardboard, Military sliced like a dream. After I emptied out the can, I noticed this little plastic insert in the can - any idea what it is?
I might have to try that nitro-coffee. The little widget in the can is an aerator. You'll notice a couple tiny holes along the outside edge. Keep in mind that the coffee is just like Pepsi or beer in that it contains dissolved gas under pressure. In the case of your coffee, the dissolved gas is nitrogen. The widget also contains the coffee/nitrogen mix. When you pop the top, the gas comes out of suspension, and the mix gets squirted out those tiny holes. The widget starts spinning, just like Hero's aeolipile, agitating the rest of the coffee, and causing more nitrogen to come out of suspension. The result is a delicious foamy drink with tiny nitro bubbles.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like using this grip with larger folders for slicing tape on a box. Lets me control the tip really well and avoid over penetration ;)

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I didn't realize cans of coffee could be so complex. Thanks for the education RustyIron :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm
I think at very least that should be a problem for the Apple warranty people....
Yep, that’s a Apple design fault.

A deep carry clip will sort that mark on your pants out. ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a good reminder to be careful with that long Military blade. I have mine sitting next to me waiting on a package to arrive so I can open it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This happens so much in retail you just wouldn't believe it. It's part of why most stores won't allow people to use pocket knives, because utility knives at least limit how deep the blade can go and even then it still happens.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 am
This happens so much in retail you just wouldn't believe it. It's part of why most stores won't allow people to use pocket knives, because utility knives at least limit how deep the blade can go and even then it still happens.
yes, and this is why I like the Roadie so much.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jefke

Post by Jefke »

When opening any kind of package I always flip the knife upside down, i.e. the spine touches the package and the edge faces away from the package. This way the risk of damaging whatever is inside the package is minimal, unless you use a knife with a straight spine like the the Military/PM2/Para3. With a curved spine you then have much better control of how deep the tip goes, and If you angle the blade right then the spine will hit the contents before the tip does. This post explains how this technique is used by hunters: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89141#p1504357

That's why I think a blade shape like that of e.g. a mantra or a delica is better suited for general EDC. Frankly I don't get it why some people always want a straight spine. If the PM2 had a slight curve to the spine (it doesn't have to be much) then I would be using it a lot more, it might be my favorite knife then (maybe I should modify my PM2 :rolleyes: ).
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pm
I like using this grip with larger folders for slicing tape on a box. Lets me control the tip really well and avoid over penetration ;)

I do something similar when opening packages with the Military or PM2, but I like to pinch both sides of the blade near the tip, leaving the last .5” to 1” or so of the blade exposed. I keep my ring finger partially in the Spydiehole to push the handle side up and hold the knife in the proper position, so the tip points downwards.

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Yeah, I grab the whole blade and put my finger all the way out to the tip of the blade when opening most boxes, if possible of course.

So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pm

Funny enough Vivi, that's precisely what I was doing - only 1/4" or so of the tip was exposed. It just so happens that the can was directly underneath the tape.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That's exactly what happens when it's "just the tip". FUBAR. :D
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Cans of Guinness have similar nito capsules to give them the tiny bubbles.