Is Sal Glesser Irreplaceable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: Is Sal Glesser Irreplaceable?

Post by Cambertree »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:13 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 pm
In past times it was Treason to discuss the demise of the King, and a capital offence. Now it’s just poor taste. Sorry, but honestly ....

I agree.

Jim
Well said Chris.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:38 am
The cemeteries are full of irreplaceable people.
And for example were is Chris Reeve and CRK works without him?
100% CRK isn’t 100% with the captain missing, but I think the spyderco community should be fine under other leadership, we do owe sal a hand for this creation
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I won't be surprised if Sal lives to be over 100 :cool:

Sal and Eric are pretty much the faces / spokespersons for the company (to me).
They have the upmost passion for their products, and the knowledge to back it up.
For all we know the lil red Spyder will still be running around after we're all long gone.
It's a sad fact of mortality that people are temporary, but legacy and legends live forever.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:38 am
The cemeteries are full of irreplaceable people.
This is very true. When death came to my immediate family it was a total mess for 6 months to more than a year, depending on who passed away.

I cannot imagine the tumult that occurs in a business headed up by a single person. For Hinderer and many other small knife companies, it would be the end. Eric seems to be doing a good job. I am not a peer of his in any way and I am not in a position to grade him, but Sal is. Sal should make sure that Spyderco is deep with talent. I am sure that Sal and Eric do.

Sal made Spyderco happen, so yea, 100%, his passing would be felt industry wide.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I was under the impression that Gail does everything behind the scenes while the boys play with their knives. :p
•• Beau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When Sal's time on earth is done I won't shed a tear. Instead, I'll light a candle and send up a pray to God above, thanking Him for giving us such a wonderful inventor and caring person.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This thread makes me angry 😡
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I have to say this, I know I am new here and everyone is very close but I just feel this thread is in poor taste. Even seeing the thread name on the board turns my stomach. I completely respect everyone's opinions stated here but it just feels very wrong.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't like thinking about these things, and usually I don't. Imagine reading something like this about yourself, from people you haven't actually met, even if they are internet friends. Perhaps we could consider it more as how Spyderco would fare IF Sal decides to retire, and enjoy more leisure time after many years of a lot of work, building a great company. I bet he'd be hard to keep away, and still participate often, on the forum, and with ideas and designs.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm
I don't like thinking about these things, and usually I don't. Imagine reading something like this about yourself, from people you haven't actually met, even if they are internet friends. Perhaps we could consider it more as how Spyderco would fare IF Sal decides to retire, and enjoy more leisure time after many years of a lot of work, building a great company. I bet he'd be hard to keep away, and still participate often, on the forum, and with ideas and designs.
That's exactly how I was thinking about it when I made my response earlier. Not in a morbid, creepy way. But in terms of what he's done here and in the industry in general.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm with the "In poor taste" group. All anyone here can do is speculate and I don't see any reason for me to do that. None of us here can possibly have the information needed to make close to realistic predictions.

I'm old and retired but even I have better things to do.

Joe
jdw

Post by jdw »

A question in poor taste. All people are irreplaceable to those who love them.
Last edited by jdw on Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

No one in business is irreplaceable. I’m sure Sal would agree.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Yes. It's pretty obvious and I don't want to be trite, but I think Sal, and his affect on the knife industry is one of a kind. The melty ergonomics, the Spydiehole, the infatuation with blade steel... Sal has been a humble visionary, and there will be a giant void left behind once he is gone.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

M Sea wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:10 am
I have to say this, I know I am new here and everyone is very close but I just feel this thread is in poor taste. Even seeing the thread name on the board turns my stomach. I completely respect everyone's opinions stated here but it just feels very wrong.
I agree, poor taste of words.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
In past times it was Treason to discuss the demise of the King, and a capital offence. Now it’s just poor taste. Sorry, but honestly ....

I've been thinking about this sort of thing every time I see this thread and I do agree, but there's another side to this that keeps coming to mind.

Have you ever lost a loved one? Have you ever had to wonder what the last thing you said to that person was? What would you do to have the opportunity to make sure that person knew how important they were to you and how much you'll miss them?

I think Sal likely knows the impact he's made on all of us, he doesn't have to have an ego to know the difference he's made. Yeah it's a bit uncomfortable to talk about while the guy is right here with us, but I can also tell you that personally I didn't get this opportunity with my mother and I wish I could go back and have one last conversation with her about all the important stuff. Maybe that's where the OP was coming from with this thread? It's a little cliche to say that tomorrow is never promised and this thread could easily apply to any of us but thats the reality of life.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Treason to discuss the demise of the King
Chris, you remember what happened to Dame Eliza Barton (the Holy Maid) in "Bring up the Bodies"?
Head, struck off and spiked at Tyburn, as is the King's pleasure, in great mercy of the usual sentence for women who commit high treason, which is to be put into the fire at Smithfield.

but yeah, this thread is passing strange...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:26 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Treason to discuss the demise of the King
Chris, you remember what happened to Dame Eliza Barton (the Holy Maid) in "Bring up the Bodies"?
Head, struck off and spiked at Tyburn, as is the King's pleasure, in great mercy of the usual sentence for women who commit high treason, which is to be put into the fire at Smithfield.

but yeah, this thread is passing strange...
Hah! Of course! America did well to move on from the power of kings. I am currently reading Peter Ackroyd’s The Tudors. (As an aside, my school was founded by Elizabeth 1 in 1595 - the food tasted like it, too.)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

This has been a question on my mind lately. A lot of the popular knife companies founded in the '80s, or thereabouts, have founders that are getting up in years. Are these companies postured for continued success when their founders are no longer with them?

For example, Lynn Thompson recently sold Cold Steel to GSM Outdoors, and I'm not sure what the future holds. As for Benchmade, Les de Asis passed away last year, but it seems like they had a good transition plan in place.

Spyderco has always impressed me as being a very intelligent company, so I'm inclined to think that they have a well-thought-out plan for the future. It will be different without Sal, no doubt. However, with some smart planning, the next chapter of Spyderco's history has the potential to be just as successful as the current one. I anticipate outstanding Spyderco products for years to come.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:13 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:

I agree.

Jim
Thirded.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020