which model

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
suedeface

which model

Post by suedeface »

Do any of you carry a swiss army knife when you're not carrying your spyderco? Or do you carry a SAK with your spyderco? I tend to carry my spyderco delica 50/50 for work and around home and if I go out to a family outing or on weekends I carry my victorinox sportsman model SAK.This knife has saved me from a few inconveniences and is hair popping sharp.I've used it several times around the yard and for fixing my house.Which swiss army knife do you carry? :)
i.v

Post by i.v »

i have a classic on my keychain, other than that i have a huntsman & a spartan, the spartan sees a lot of use (have had it for over 12 years).
Hannibal Lecter

Always!

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Welcome to the forums!

You will never catch me without a SAK in my back pocket. Ever. It is the last knife I lay down in the evenings prior to retiring to bed.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I carry the "Golfer" model only because it has a corkscrew and bottle opener. I guess I don't really carry it so to speak, but it's always in my truck for easy access.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I used to but don't anymore, since I switched to the Leatherman.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

LM Juice s2 in my left/front pocket, either a LM Crunch or PST on my left hip... and depending on what I have clipped on right/front, I'll have a slipjoint in my left/front too.

who needs a SAK? :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

My SAK Traveller (that's what was on the blister pak when I got from Can. Tire - two blades/bottle opener, can opener, toothpick & tweezers) is always with me. I made a small slip case for it and carry it loose with my Delica. In a "dressy" outing, I may swap out the Delica for something fancier, but I would probably add one of my fancier ones instead. I used to carry a BM Mini Ambush with my SAK, but once I got that Delica......and then I went out and got a BM Mini Griptillian (I actually saw it after I bought my Paramilitary), so most days, the SAK, Delica in my left pocket, Mini-Grip clipped on left. I carry a few more than that normally, but with those 3, I can cover off pretty well my weekday EDC things.

- gord
dialex

Post by dialex »

That's sorta funny. I used to have a SAK with all sort of gizmos (at least I was thinking it's a SAK, according to that guy at the flea market that sold it to me) :rolleyes: till I found it's made in China :mad:
Used it for a while till it's most important part (the corkscrew) broke. Still got some use as a can opener for a while, but now it rusts (yes, it rusts) in peace in a drawer. :o
Anyway, I carry that Delica, so I hardly feel the need for a SAK. Ok, I admit I could use sometimes a pair of tweezers or the scissors... or the corkscrew ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Hannibal Lecter

Corkscrew!

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

[quote="dialex"]...or the corkscrew ]

My Friend,

Like you, I consider a corkscrew non-negotiable. My Wenger SAK that is always in my pocket sports a corkscrew, and I am never without that knife.

I mean, come on now: you just never know when you'll need one... :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

SAK Explorer is a kind of family tradition. My father gave one to my brother and me some 30 years ago and I gave one to my oldest son and will give one to my others sons. I still find it a perfect companion although I couldn't resist buying a SwissTool recently.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I have 2 SAK's. One I brought home from the army(SS) and one I got as a gift from my former boss because our department made the target production. This knife has red scales. Before I started collecting knives this was my EDC(the one with the red scales because it had a toothpick, tweezers and corkscrew) Since I carry spyderco I haven't used the SAK because I think it is overdone to carry another knife next to my usually 2 Spydies. The knife can be convenient though. Maybe I should carry it again since more of you guys do it so it can't be that strange. I have carried a Gerber multitool for a while but I found it too bulky so it moved to my glove department.

I hope Spyderco will make a Multitool again soon( I really like the Spyderwrench, I've only seen it at Ted's site though.)
fret

Post by fret »

Just to see if I needed a SAK, I bought one for a dollar at a dollar store. I haven't needed to use it so far so I guess I won't need a real SAK?
vass

Post by vass »

i carry a black scales sak military , it´s the one with the hole in the blade
for one hand opening, hmmm it opens like a spydie, strange eeh !!! ;)
:spyder: DOG WILL HUNT :spyder:
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Every day, at least 2:

I have an alox classic on my personal keyring.

I carry a Vic Soldier (with keyring) in pocket everyday on duty, where my Mil is the primary blade.

I have an Vic Explorer that I carry a lot off duty. -Another corkscrew fan, plus I like the magnifier. :)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

there are a couple models i have been looking at, and i think i will be settling on a backbacker for now, perhaps a classic as well. both are made by wenger. i am looking for one knife to use for camping and backpacking, and perhaps one for a light duty edc or keychain. i was wondering if you all had any brand prefrence? Wenger or Victorinox?any feed back would be nice. thanks
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i keep a LM squirt on my keychain at all times. it's helped me in many a pinch... and has opened more than its fair share of bottles.

my primary SAK is a victorinox forester... all the basics you need, and nothing you don't need, with a large, ergonomically shaped handle. it's got a locking blade and locking screwdriver/bottle opener... as well as a saw. great, no BS knife. it's coming to africa with me, along with a couple spydies and a fixed blade.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Had a Swiss Army Knife for many years...never got much use out of it...side handles fell off from abuse I guess... had a lot of neat little things like scissors, toothpick corkscrew,and awl... etc etc...but all hurt my fingertips trying to open... screw drivers would fold in when trying to screw anything on...I guess I never really got what all the fuss was about....Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Carried a SAK for years before replacing it with a knife having a hole in a much superior blade plus a VICTORINOX SwissCard in my wallet. No corkscrew though, but that works for me. Just have to remember to remove the SwissCard from my wallet and place it in my luggage before checking in at the gate for my flight. Haven't forgotten yet :D .
To every complex problem, there are numerous, simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

i was looking at a swisscard earlier today online, can someone tell me what there experience with one is, also i was wondering; how thick is it? is it credit card size height width (so it will fit in a credit card slot)? thanks
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder: