My thumb keeps slipping from the hole on my new spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alicia

My thumb keeps slipping from the hole on my new spyderco

Post by Alicia »

My thumb keeps slipping from the whole on the spyderco knife. When my thumb slips it’s going down on the blade and has cut my thumb twice I’m not even sure I will use this new knife has anyone that has used spyderco knives for years that the thumb can come out of the whole as your are completely opening the knives

Thanks
SG89

Re: My thumb keeps slipping from the hole on my new spyderco

Post by SG89 »

Try unscrewing the pivot a hair
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

With which model are you having this issue?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to our forum and I'm sorry you cut your thumb. I have been there.

What model is it? Is this your first Spyderco?

Most of the time when a thumb slips out of the hole while opening, the thumb will move away from the edge. I have seen, and I have done replacing my thumb to the edge instead of the hole after slipping out of the hole in an effort to complete the opening to complete the opening. As mentioned, the action may be too tight? Oil the pivot or as suggested, maybe loosen the pivot a few thou. But they are pretty close to the way they should be from the factory.

Some other thoughts about If your thumb is slipping out:

1. The knife may be too large for your hand?
2. You may have to choke up higher on the handle.
3. The edge of the hold is not sharp enough.
4. You might trying putting more of the tip of yur thumb in the hole, below the fingernail?

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I definitely don't recommend to someone new to try adjusting pivots. I think adjusting your hand and then slowing down to deliberately go through the opening process. No auto pilot until you have done it enough to be not only accurate and comfortable but also have developed muscle memory.

Also, look to see if you have a real Spyderco or a fake. On real Spydercos the opening hole isn't rounded off or too smooth in the opening hole just to prevent you from doing what you say and slipping out. The opening hole should grab back a little to help your thumbs grip on the sides of the hole.

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

Which Spyderco model is it?

I haven’t heard a lot of people saying their thumb slips out of the hole while opening, as Spyderco opening holes have crisp edges. On some models, some people say the edges of the holes are too sharp. But that crispness is exactly what is needed so the thumb won’t slip out during opening.

Also, it would seem that if you’re opening the blade and your thumb slips out, that your thumb would slip AWAY from the edge-side of the blade and off the back of the Spyderhole.

I would recommend checking if the action is smooth enough, and practicing opening slowly. Maybe even open with two hands for awhile. Don’t try to ‘flick’ it open quickly for now. It might also help if the opening arc of your thumb is directed a bit towards the front end of the handle, with a motion like “(“, as opposed to describing a full 180-degree arc, like “C”.

Anyway, go slowly and carefully try different ways, until you find a way that feels comfortable and consistent for you. You might also experiment with only partial openings, over and over again, for a while.

Jim
Nick258

Post by Nick258 »

Backlock?

Use the middle of your thumbnail and keep the handle tightly in your palm. Then just rotate around.
• Spyderco Native 5 Rex45
• Spyderco Caribbean SE
• Opinel no. 6, no. 8.
• Victorinox Folding Pairing Knife Serrated
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I havent had this problem so the only advice I can give you is to practice so that it doesnt happen.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Ah, I had exactly this problem with the Spyderco Brouwer when I got it. Was kind of embarrassing too, because it happened in the middle of the knife store after I bought the thing.

I think this problem happens with knives that have strong detents and then super easy action? At least that's what happened with mine -- I had to press my thumb into it kind of hard to get it open, and then it practically flew half-open and the blade's edge got ahead of my thumb, and then my thumb hit the edge. If that's the case for you, you might try a knife that has a more even opening resistance, or even a knife which can be opened by other means (such as a flipper tab).

I never solved the Brouwer issue and ended up giving it away, but I enjoy many of Spyderco's other models, so it's definitely not a universal issue with them. Good luck with your knife, and possibly with finding a model that works better for you if that's something you're interested in trying to do.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Alicia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 pm
My thumb keeps slipping from the whole on the spyderco knife....
embry386 wrote: .....

I think this problem happens with knives that have strong detents and then super easy action? At least that's what happened with mine -- I had to press my thumb into it kind of hard to get it open, and then it practically flew half-open and the blade's edge got ahead of my thumb, and then my thumb hit the edge. If that's the case for you, you might try a knife that has a more even opening resistance, or even a knife which can be opened by other means (such as a flipper tab).
First and foremost: Welcome to the forum, Alicia! :)

This is a problem I´ve never heard of or thought about, I could not even really picture it till embrys description.
But now I think I understand.

Alicia, perhaps you could post a short clip of what is happening? For example via streamable.com?
Anyway it would help to know which exact knife you´re talking about, what your hand size is and if this is your very first folder with an opening hole.

Does this happen to you even when you open the knfie slowly (so not flicking the blade out)?
Have you tried any other Spyderco / knife with an opening hole, for example when trying out Spydies in a store?

Differently (but with all respect) to "the Mastiff" I think loosing or tightening the pivot a bit is something you could try. But if you are new to Spyderco before that it would be good to know which knife it is, so we can tell you the size of the pivot screw and point you towards using the correct tool for working on it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Forget about using your thumb. Use your middle finger and "spydie flick it"

I broke my thumb, "slammed it in a car door I heard" the knuckle is two times what its suppose to be and only really works in a slow roll.

Spidey flick works great!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Alicia, since you are new, your answers are being monitored until you are out of the probationary stage. They will show up here soon.

Until we know what knife you actually have, it is hard to suggest a solution.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 pm
Alicia, since you are new, your answers are being monitored until you are out of the probationary stage. They will show up here soon.

Until we know what knife you actually have, it is hard to suggest a solution.

Good to tell her, Doc!

This we should probably do concerning each new member - they often might not see Kristis pinned post in the off topic section (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Doctor to the rescue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sharpen all my thumb holes with a Dremel using a barrel sandpaper bit. I like them crisp enough that my thumb definitely isn't going to slip off but obviously not sharp enough to cut me. I like to do this to smooth out the inside surface of the thumb hole too, sometimes they're a little rough looking. If you don't have a Dremel or don't feel comfortable using one (you can very easily screw up/scratch up the blade) you can use sandpaper wrapped around a pen and get the same effect with a little effort.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I suspect Embry is correct on this one. I have had that happen to me, once. It only took once to learn to put my finger a little firmer in the hole. Actually, it happened when I was flicking the blade, now that I think of it and it did not open all the way. When my thumb came back to normal there was the edge waiting like a lurking monster. I got a minor cut only in the outer layer of skin and it did not bleed. I do not normally flick, anyway. Fingers are too stiff from all the old sports injuries to make it comfortable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The only Spydie I've owned that has a stiff enough action that I've had to pay special attention to keeping my thumb stable in the opening hole is a stainless Kiwi, the Urban is probably the next stiffest action, but a firm hold keeps both models under control for safe opening.

I will second the opinion that at least checking the pivot tension is a good place to start if you suspect that the issue is with the knife and not your technique: when I installed carbon fiber scales on a Delica, I initially over-tightened the pivot and there was a real chance of slipping out of the Spydiehole while opening... That said, I've never had a Spyderco knife come from the factory with the pivot anywhere near that tight.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'll throw this out until we hear back from Alicia. I have to hold knives differently in my hand due to the design of the knife.

When I slow roll most Spyderco's open with my thumb I'm pushing the Round Hole towards 10 o'clock. When I slow roll the Native 5 open, in particular, it either won't go, or it opens part of the way and the handle rolls in my hand. I've found that if I hold a Native 5 like other Spyderco's I have to push the Round Hole away more towards 9 o'clock. But, when I hold the handle up higher in my hand my thumb is then naturally reaching towards 10 o'clock which is more like other Spyderco's.

Going totally off on a tangent, I'm 99%+ successful opening my Mantra with the flipper, not so with the Proton, and I have to conscientiously choke up on my Smock because my finger isn't quite long enough to operate the flipper where I'd normally grab the handle.

The ergonomics can be different in your hand.