spray painting liners?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

spray painting liners?

Post by ladybug93 »

i know some people on here have complained about coated knives coming with non-coated liners. has anyone tried hitting the liners with a light coat of black spray paint?

it seems like you should be able to do this without messing up the action as long as you keep it really light and/or mask off the area that makes contact with the washers. and since it's liners instead of a blade, it doesn't have to be as durable as the dlc on a blade anyway. plus, you could always strip the paint and redo it easily if it gets scratched up. just a thought i had and i'm wondering if anyone has tried it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Re: spray painting liners?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't see why that would be an issue. Maybe dust would cling to them a bit more? I spray painted the backspacer on my Delica to match the lockbar. It's not a perfect match, but close enough for me and cheaper than buying one aftermarket. I don't see why the same can't be done with liners. Interested if anyone will do it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You could paint them for looks and it would darken the inside visible part of the liners but it'll wear off any exposed parts. Maybe Cerakote but that starts to go up in price pretty quick. I'd look for a ceramic enamel engine paint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Duracote is a two-part alternative to Ceracote, and it doesn't need to be baked. I've only used it on one rifle, but it looks as good as the day I sprayed it.

Another option is plating. Caswell Plating has solutions to about any plating problem you can come up with.
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

If cost isn’t an issue, River’s Edge Cutlery will Cerakote liners, hardware, even blades and scales. They have a lot of color options but they will NOT recreate one of their exclusives for you, meaning they won’t do OD Green scales and a FDE coated blade (maybe they will invert them though).

https://riversedgecutlery.com/cerakote-services/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MotoBro wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:04 am
If cost isn’t an issue, River’s Edge Cutlery will Cerakote liners, hardware, even blades and scales. They have a lot of color options but they will NOT recreate one of their exclusives for you, meaning they won’t do OD Green scales and a FDE coated blade (maybe they will invert them though).

https://riversedgecutlery.com/cerakote-services/

For the cost of some of these coating places you could almost justify getting a Cerakote setup yourself especially if you plan to coat a lot of things. There's a local guy who does it and he probably makes more a week doing gun slides on the side than I make full time at my job and he just has a little oven out in his garage.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David