Retire The PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Retire The PM2?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have zero issues taking apart PM2s and swapping them as I please. There are tools out there that specifically deal with lanyard tube removal (not the method your buddy Thomas likes). If you want 3D contoured scales, those are available from Aramis Akhmedov and other makers.

Plus if they “retired the PM2”, what would you use as your username “OG”? Cheers, Radioactive (AKA the_irradiator)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am
Both the PM2 and the Shaman have huge fan bases, why mess with them!?

Yeah I'm going 10 years strong without buying one and it hasn't really effected me but I will admit I'm a little jealous of all the sprints and exclusives. If anything I might benefit from funneling production resources into other models I like more but the idea of "I don't like this so it must not be popular" just doesn't make sense to me especially when the PM2 is probably the flagship model for Spyderco.
Willing to bet your wallet benefits from not chasing this model and all the sprints/exclusives too! I've chilled out quite a bit myself the past 5 months now, and granted a couple other brand purchases...but I've noticed my bank account increasing a bit the past few months, not a bad thing to be content with what you've got!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ahdunno... the PM2 is a pretty knife. There's a lot to like just as it is.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Speaking of the PM2, the S110V version is sold out everywhere. Surely it hasn't been discontinued?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am
Speaking of the PM2, the S110V version is sold out everywhere. Surely it hasn't been discontinued?
Soonerstateknives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am
Both the PM2 and the Shaman have huge fan bases, why mess with them!?
I am with you here, both are excellent. I am all for new designs but why cancel two awesome knives to do that?
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
Would it be appropriate to say "Ok Boomer" and roll eyes here?
Maybe I dont understand that term.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s not as if the PM2 could ever be cancelled because someone comes along and suggests it should be or wants it to be.

As has already been mentioned, the only changes to the PM2 I can see coming are CQI upgrades.

Bottom line: If someone doesn’t like the PM2 (or any model, for that matter), simply don’t buy it (or don’t buy any more of them).

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 am
Not getting rid of my PM2s, but I’ve been dying for a thinner shaman.
Not planning of outlawing the PM2. I just believe that a thinner shaman would make the PM2 obsolete.
The PM2 is a flagship model. But i believe this design would surpass it in popularity thus making the PM2 much less popular.
The PM2 would fade as a result. No action other that this new design needs to be taken.
James Y

Post by James Y »

pm2og wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 am
Not getting rid of my PM2s, but I’ve been dying for a thinner shaman.
Not planning of outlawing the PM2. I just believe that a thinner shaman would make the PM2 obsolete.
The PM2 is a flagship model. But i believe this design would surpass it in popularity thus making the PM2 much less popular.
The PM2 would fade as a result. No action other that this new design needs to be taken.

How are you certain of that? Everybody is not the same. People like different things.

Some people probably thought that the Chaparral or the Para 3 LWT would have spelled the end for the Delica, yet the Delica is still alive and well.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

pm2og wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
Would it be appropriate to say "Ok Boomer" and roll eyes here?
Maybe I dont understand that term.
I'm only 37, so that wouldn't be relevant.

-Rick
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Please give reasons why you think the shaman thinned out is a bad idea
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 am
Maybe you're bored of PM2s/have become jaded, but the PM2 is a great design and a great seller. It's like BM discontinuing the griptilian.

Also, if they discontinue the PM2, how will you get that vanax one you've been wanting?
Its funny how so many people are so literal and nuance is lost.
1. Anything takes time to phase out. This whole idea would take like 10yrs in Spyderco time.
2. Evolution happens and yes benchmade discontinued the griptilian. They also could have discontinued the Adamas but they didnt. They made the model everyone wanted and updated the original making a smash hit this year.
3. I believe Vanax will happen so im not worried about it and it will take a spot in my 20 knife box (I only own 20 folders at one time. Very few stay forever.).
4. A Great seller is a very relative term. Eventually a dealer will get left with a couple thousand PM2s because the market is saturated and people are tired of the design. I love my PM2 and I dont feel like I have to state that. Im just reading the market a few years down the road. The tea leaves are speaking.

I believe many consumers don't even know what they want until its presented to them. If this idea actually hit the market in a skinny thinned out shaman that was 1.5oz lighter it would be a smash hit that would be a tough design to top.

I am honestly glad to hear everyones opinion. More that single word answers would be helpful. Like good reasons why they think the thinned shaman is a bad idea?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

pm2og wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:39 pm
Please give reasons why you think the shaman thinned out is a bad idea
The Shaman is just fine as it is. It's not even a chunky knife, it's just big. Contoured handles really help. I haven't heard too many complaints on the comfort of the handle. I also like the thicker blade stock, meant for some real work. I've got 3 Shamans that I rotate around and wouldn't care for a thinner knife or blade stock. When I know I've got my work cut out for me, it's usually the Shaman that I grab.

-Rick
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I don't think a thinner Shaman is necessarily a bad idea. But I don't see it replacing the PM2, not even over a long period of time.

The Shaman and PM2 are very different designs. In particular, the blade shape is completely different. If someone likes the PM2 blade shape and likes the pronounced thumb ramp on the PM2, some future Shaman v2 with thinner handles isn't going to change their blade preferences.

The Shaman and PM2 are complimentary, much like the Native and Delica. The Native5 didn't make the Delica4 obsolete, because the two designs are different and appeal to different people.
Matus

Post by Matus »

pm2og wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Here is my proposal. Make a thinned out Shaman. Thinner scales and blade stock.
And what about ... not.

The Shaman is one of the very few Spydercos that offer some level of acceptable hand filling handle. Very most of their knives have skinny handles with thin scales and cross section of a rectangular with barely rounded edges. Even with large knives as the Chief.

Look how basically everybody is raving about how comfortable the handle of the Shaman is - and all it took to get there was a little thicker handle with more pronounced rounding of the corners. It is still not really 3D shaped, but brings a considerable improvement. I actually hope to see more of that in the future. I understand that 3D shaping i a LOT more complicated (and thus adds a considerable cost), but surely a simpler variations could well be automatised. And it should go without saying for the moulded plastic handles.

I would much prefer to see the opposite on some of their models - handles shaped to fit human hand without unnecessary hot spots. At least some of the more utility oriented knives.

Should I ever get a Para3 or PM2 again, I would 100% get scales that actually ADD some girth and curves to the handle (e.g. from Aratech). Or in the worst case make some myself (again, may try to do something about that Chief I have)

I would not fight anyone on a thinner blade stock on many (most) knives, though it is the thickness behind the edge that would get my vote first.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

one does not.jpg
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Comp locks and thin blade stock are a no-go in these modern spydie times right?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

pm2og wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Its funny how so many people are so literal and nuance is lost.
1. Anything takes time to phase out. This whole idea would take like 10yrs in Spyderco time.
2. Evolution happens and yes benchmade discontinued the griptilian.
Sorry, I kinda stopped reading right about there... what?

https://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

McFly? When are you jumping back from?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Delica, Endura and Police have been in production for decades. They have been Spyderco’s legacy models much like the Buck 110.

The Para2 has placed itself into a similar category and I believe it will be looked back upon as a legacy model. I see it lasting many many more years.

I personally like the idea of a slicier Shaman. I wouldn’t want to thin the scales out too much. This probably could have been a constructive conversation if it wasn’t started with inflammatory language. ShamanOG successfully uses this sort of tone to get attention on social media which is fine. This forum is a little different and as the saying goes, you need to know your audience.

It would be nice if we could just ignore the notions of replacing the Para2 and Shaman and just discuss our interest in a Shaman with thinner grind.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?