Waved Endura Trainer...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Waved Endura Trainer...?

Post by timlara »

Just got my Waved Endura...man o man, is this thing sweet!! :D

This is my first knife with the wave feature, and I've gotta agree with #9 in the other thread: Emerson is a freakin' genius!! This is truly one of those "why didn't I think of that??" kind of inventions. So simple, it just WORKS. The wave draw is such a quick and easy technique to master, it really makes a lot of sense for use in a stressful defensive situation where your concentration and coordination surely won't be at 100% and you can't afford to fumble or drop the knife.

Of course, one downside (or some might say "perk" :D ) to using the Waved Endura for EDC -- it tends to scare the living bejeezus out of innocent bystanders since it's almost impossible to pull the knife out of your pocket without it springing into action with an authoratative "THWACK"! My friend jumped back about three feet today when I instinctively pulled out my Endura to cut open a hot dog bun!! :D

Anyway...back to the subject line: Has anybody heard talk of :spyder: doing a Waved Endura Trainer? I would think that most people who buy the sprint run of the real deal would probably be up for buying a matching trainer. Assuming the sprint sells out, I wonder if that would be enough to convice Sal to do it...?
Tim
UK KEN

Waved Endura

Post by UK KEN »

Good morning Tim

Shouldn't you be in bed? :)

I have never used a waved knife but if it is as good as you say it is I will be approaching a very good friend of mine who lives in Colorado and asking him to get hold of one for me and ship it over ;)

The idea of a trainer is great! I would prefer to be able to guarantee no holes in either trousers or me whilst I'm experimenting with "speed draws"! :cool:

Spyderco should produce fewer new models next year.....I have run out of money......any jobs going Sal?

Ken
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Hi Tim

Where did you obtain the waved Endura ? I have checked out quite a few sites, with not a mention of this one. I suppose an alternative would be to buy an el cheapo knife and grind in (out?) the wave - just for trying out the technique.

Cheers

Mike
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

mikewww wrote:Where did you obtain the waved Endura ?
Mike

http://www.selfdefensegear.com

It's an exclusive, available only from Self Defense Gear.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Mike,

The waved Endura can only be obtained at http://www.selfdefensegear.com as it is made by special request.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Mike: Yup, what those guys said. Got mine at Self Defense Gear.

You could easily grind your own "wave" into an el cheapo to see how the technique works. (I've seen a lot of people on the forums who've "rolled their own".) One nice thing about the "factory" version, though, is that you get the best of both worlds -- a fully functional Spyderhole with a perfectly positioned "wave" hook on the top. It seems to me that there is also a slight advantage to the position of the "wave" in this manner as opposed to where it would be if you cut your own because it has just a little bit more leverage as it's just a little bit further away from the fulcrum of the blade pivot. That translates to a very minimal amount of force needed to flip the blade open.

Check out Worker #9's thread for pics:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ved+endura

Ken:

You're right, I *SHOULD* have been in bed when I posted this, and right now, I *SHOULD* actually be working, but I am rarely ever found doing what I'm supposed to be doing! :D

If you do get that friend of yours in Colorado to send you a Waved Endura, do be careful practicing your "speed draws" -- I haven't spilled any blood yet, but I did accidentally take a nice chunk out of my favorite jacket which happened to be hanging in harms way!

p.s. Got your email -- thanks!
Tim
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Am Telling You That Is A Great Knife Could It Be Anymore Fun Than A Waved Endura? No Way!! It Is A Blast. Lightning Fast Quick Action, And A Nice Blade Shape, I See The Limited Run Of These Knives Going Up In Value In The Near Future If 500 Is All They Make. #9
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

ditto all of the above. I love mine as well. I'm in line for a trainer.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

timlara wrote: Has anybody heard talk of :spyder: doing a Waved Endura Trainer? I would think that most people who buy the sprint run of the real deal would probably be up for buying a matching trainer. Assuming the sprint sells out, I wonder if that would be enough to convice Sal to do it...?
Only Sal can provide the definitive answer. However, I suspect that many people (such as me) bought the Endura Wave but wouldn't be interested in a trainer. I bought the Wave as an example of a great company/company collaboration to add to my Spyderco collection. It won't be my EDC.

I imagine the number of trainers sold for MBC knives (such as the Gunting and Temperance) are likely much less than the number of live blade sales. If the Endura Wave was similar, it wouldn't justify the tooling to make the low number of trainer blades required.

However, if sales are enough to sell out subsequent runs, the trainer may be made more feasible.

It is a great knife though, isn't it? And yes, I couldn't resist trying out the wave a few times - haven't stabbed myself or air conditioned any clothing ...yet :D

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I am still waiting for the waved Endura I bought to cross the pond so I do envy those who can play with it already.
I would have little use for a trainer just to practice the wave and I believe the regular trainer is good enough for training otherwise.
argyll

Post by argyll »

You could always do what I did in the past, which is dremmel a regular endura trainer. Or as a more costly option, pick up a waived trainer from the Emerson line.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)