A Larger Scale Dodo Model? PLEASE!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A Larger Scale Dodo Model? PLEASE!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

The very first Spyderco folder that I bought that was designed by ERIC GLESSER was his Dodo model. And it was back in 2003 when Spydercoa put out the very first run of the Dodo model. The same week I got a PE Blue version and also an SE Black handled version and I had both of them for years. I still to this day own the original 2003 PE Blue model but like an idiot I got tempted to trade the SE Dodo and I could just kick myself for doing it ever since. I very much want another SE version of the Dodo and I'll keep making noise until it becomes a reality. I would love another full SE Dodo in the original model but especially in a larger version of the Dodo. I would also really love a bigger version with a plain edged blade as well.

For many years I've put up various threads on certain Spyderco models that I would like to see them do either a bigger or smaller version of. And the Dodo model is my most wanted of all the Spyderco folders that I would just love to see Spyderco make a bigger version of. When I just seen a thread calling for a smaller P'Kal it hit me like a ton of bricks to put up a thread to make an appeal to all of you who like the Dodo model to urge Spyderco to highly consider making a bigger version of that great Eric Glesser design.

A larger Dodo ( especially in full SE) would be a beast for many type cutting jobs and it would be a dream folder for the commercial fishing industry and I'm willing to bet that many of the great firefighters we have here on the Forum would love a bigger Dodo model for their demanding job as well. A bigger Dodo model in full SE would also have a lot of great outdoor uses to it as well. But a bigger version of the Dodo would be a super EDC folder for guys who work construction and many other demanding jobs. Yes a bigger version of the Dodo model I do believe would be well received. What say you all????
Zive

Re: A Larger Scale Dodo Model? PLEASE!!!

Post by Zive »

I wasn’t collecting when the original runs occurred and know that if I spent the $300-400 that they cost on the secondary market I would never actually use the knife.

For now I’m waiting for another exclusive to be released, but if they did produce a similar model in the meantime that was still <2.5” I would pick one up.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Context: owned a SE Dodo for a few years, liked it as a utility knife, but sold it when I got married and stopped working on the farm. The lock worked well but I prefer other locks. I carry bigger folders for work. I'm a big fan of the S-curve edge.

The Dodo is an awkward size/configuration: other knives pack far more blade in smaller handles. The reverse S really shines when you're trying to get maximum snip/hook/push cutting utility out of a compact blade because of handle size restrictions.

The Dodo handle is comfortable and not exactly too big, so the change I'd like to see is a longer blade in a similar handle, something like a Yojimbo crossed with a Matriarch and with a more sturdy tip.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I feel like this may be a little relevant.
My idea for the Byrd line, but I’m not opposed to see it manifested in this concept of a larger Dodo.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77258&p=1491555#p1490403
Below is a recent skeletal diagram made by an acquaintance of mine in another online sphere.
Kelenken is a South American Terror Bird closely related to Titanis, the subject of my post in the link, and roughly the same size.
This is the best depiction of it anywhere.
As you can see, the bird was huge, much larger than the famed Dodo, and a top predator with its so familiar beak shape!
Only makes sense to me.

Edit: the images missing from my linked post aren’t too important to its topic thankfully.
Only showing a small fossil I found that demonstrates my personal connection to those awesome birds.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
osprey

Post by osprey »

a compression lock or back lock dodo in any size would be a must buy for me
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

osprey wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:23 pm
Bingo!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

osprey wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:23 pm
Personally I've always liked the ball bearing lock on the Dodo but I would not be opposed to using a different locking system in a bigger version or even the original version for that matter.

I just know in my gut that a bigger, larger scale version of the Dodo would be a folder that I would use a lot. I might even be tempted to put one in my user rotation. I do believe that if they would at least do a prototype of a bigger, larger scale Dodo model and display it at shows I do believe that people would love it.

Personally for me I've gotten so used to using the ball bearing lock that it's just not an issue with me anymore at all. But again I wouldn't be opposed to a different locking system if that would make it easier to make a bigger version of the Dodo.
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1]

Absolutely agree, it's such a deceivingly odd yet awesome design to most folks, it was for me until I had the chance to hold / fiddle with one for a few minutes.... that night I got online and started reading more about them and really looking closely at the design. I started casually window shopping and after a few days a "Smurf Blue" G10 SE model popped up and I snagged it... it's one of my EDC SE regulars that I always enjoy using -- I would be all about an XL version without hesitation, sign me up for 2 SE and 1 PE immediately. :D
Cheers,
John
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would really like a dodo. i wasn't here for the initial run and i didn't want m4 when they ran the last exclusive. i just want something easy to deal with and not too expensive. i did get to handle one once and thought it was weird and cool.

i think a dodo with a removable wave like the p'kal would make a really great back left pocket self defense knife (weak side reverse grip) almost like a karambit.

personally, i don't want a bigger version, but i'm not sure i wouldn't like it if it existed. i also like the bbl just fine and would prefer it because it's different from everything else i already have, but i'd be okay with any lock really.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:54 am
[+1]

Absolutely agree, it's such a deceivingly odd yet awesome design to most folks, it was for me until I had the chance to hold / fiddle with one for a few minutes.... that night I got online and started reading more about them and really looking closely at the design. I started casually window shopping and after a few days a "Smurf Blue" G10 SE model popped up and I snagged it... it's one of my EDC SE regulars that I always enjoy using -- I would be all about an XL version without hesitation, sign me up for 2 SE and 1 PE immediately. :D
Cheers,
John
Well John you've obviously discovered the awesome EDC properties of the Dodo as I did all the way back in early 2004. When I bought my first one in late 2003 I got the blue PE version which I still own and it's still in my "user rotation". I bought it strictly as a curious, odd-ball collectible and hoping that this extremely unique design would some day be a collectible that would accrue value as time went by.

Then after a conversation with a good friend of mine I took on a challenge and EDCed the blue PE version for a week and I was absolutely astounded at all the jobs I could do with the Dodo model. I later discovered that the full SE version was even a little more versatile. That's when I immediately concluded that "Genius" genes truly run in the Glesser family. It was the first Eric Glesser design I had ever purchased and it's still my favorite out of all the Eric Glesser models I've owned over the years. I had already become a big fan of Sal's designs and I could see that Eric was truly following closely. The only reason I don't make the Dodo a full time EDC folder is because I encounter many cutting jobs that require a longer blade.

But a larger/bigger scale version of the Dodo might just change all of that. A Dodo with a bigger blade would enable me to do many cutting jobs that I would have trouble doing with the original Dodo model. This is truly one model that a bigger version would change the rules of the game so to speak. Yes you've obviously discovered what I encountered years ago. Sal I hope you're watching this thread and I hope you and Eric both would give this idea some serious consideration :)
osprey

Post by osprey »

A PM2 or Para3 with a stout reverse-s blade would also be a no-brainer must buy for me. I'm not a knifemaker so I can't say how involved that would be versus a comp lock Dodo, but it might draw on the popularity of the PM2/Para 3 to be a stronger seller. Also since we're wishing I would like it in something less vanilla than S30V/S35VN. BD1N, perhaps?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

More reverse-s blades? More ball bearing locks?

Oh my yes...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm still holding out hope for a Dodo-fly. An FRN Dodo 2 LW would also be something I'd be interested in. Not sure I would want a larger version. I prefer smaller for these blades. I'd be all over a Cricket-fly or an updated FRN Cricket 2 LW with wire clip and bi-directional FRN on both scale sides. A Lil' Matriarch SE in K390 would also be an instant buy.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 am
More reverse-s blades? More ball bearing locks?

Oh my yes...
I agree with you Abyss. I've handled and used my Dodo models so much over the years that the Ball Bearing Lock has just become second nature to me. I actually enjoy playing with my original blue PE Dodo and I've gotten pretty quick and deploying it.

But seriously guys if you can get your head around a possible bigger version of the Dodo I think you all will see what I'm driving at. Just think of all the other jobs you could do with a bigger bladed Dodo. As good as the original model is I just can't help but think that a larger version of this classic would be quite useful for a wide array of different cutting jobs.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

In my opinion, some things are better left alone. I have no interest in a bigger version.
-Nick :bug-red
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Although I would absolutely look hard at a xl version; I would really like a new release period.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I'm down for any new Dodo..or anything with a reverse S blade for that matter.
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm
Although I would absolutely look hard at a xl version; I would really like a new release period.
+1. I'd like a SE version, especially, xl or standard. And I wouldn't hate a conversion to a cbbl rather than the bbl.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sengel

Post by sengel »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:16 pm
I'm down for any new Dodo..or anything with a reverse S blade for that matter.
Same. I have a lil matriarch, matriarch 2, and civilian. I want more reverse s designs in some more premium steels. The cricket is a bit small for my taste, but I may pick one up for the sake of completeness. The dodo is all old production so I probably won't pay what the secondary market wants for them
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Ffg lw any size would be great. Same lock and wire clip but new steel.