Spy27 Threads the Needle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FRNFanboy

Spy27 Threads the Needle?

Post by FRNFanboy »

I have a Para 3 in Spy27 that I have been really enjoying lately, particularly since the steel seems to be holding up so well. I wondered if others had similar results, so I started looking into it a bit. Latin Thomas’ research seems to put the toughness and corrosion resistance quite neck and neck with S35vn, so far so good. But I watched a few videos of edge retention testing, and it seems like most testers put the edge retention in the same ballpark as S30v. This seems consistent with my experience... but a steel with the toughness and rust resistance of s35vn and the edge retention of s30v? That’s really something innit? Best of both worlds at a reasonable price! Had anyone else found similar?
PStone

Re: Spy27 Threads the Needle?

Post by PStone »

I have had similar experience too. Also have yet to chip any. It seems to want to roll or deform rather than chip. I actually find it very similar to S45vn in use and sharpening. Can’t wait to get that mule and put them both head to head in identical platforms.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I have managed to chip my SPY-27 Mule, but to be fair, full power impact with hardened drywall screws has chipped every steel I've done it to so far.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 pm
Well, I have managed to chip my SPY-27 Mule, but to be fair, full power impact with hardened drywall screws has chipped every steel I've done it to so far.
I have to know. Sounds like you’re a fellow remodeler. Are you using the Mule to cut down stud center lines for drywall patches?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Cutting out drywall damage and discovering a previous repair in this particular case. The (low income) apartment building went up in 1972 and has been occupied more or less continuously since. A lot of repair work has been done over the years. This one had at least 4 coats of paint over it, maybe more.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Have a few Spydies in SPY27, so far so good!