Smaller P'kal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue72

Smaller P'kal

Post by Blue72 »

After some shivworks training with a clinch pick I really see the benefit of a very small knife in the grappling situations we were put into.

Is there any possibility of a smaller version of the spyderco shivworks p'kal to be created so it is easier to deploy in these grappling situations.

I already notice a huge difference when deploying a Emerson dragonfly compared to my Emerson delica when sitting in a car or other extreme close quarters situations
Sumdumguy

Re: Smaller P'kal

Post by Sumdumguy »

Nothing will deploy faster. ;)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:20 am

Agreed but carrying a folder in your pocket is exponentially more comfortable then a fixed blade, can be worn in certain environments without being looked down upon such as the office, and is legal in more places then a fixed blade when traveling
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

dd61999 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:55 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Agreed but carrying a folder in your pocket is exponentially more comfortable then a fixed blade, can be worn in certain environments without being looked down upon such as the office, and is legal in more places then a fixed blade when traveling
I never really think about the legal aspect, I'm a really bad dude. ;)

As for comfort, these are so small that they can be comfortably concealed in any outfit, even directly in the pocket.

If you're in a situation that calls for pulling a P'kal in the office and you are concerned with someone's reaction, maybe you should just run. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dd61999 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:52 am
After some shivworks training with a clinch pick I really see the benefit of a very small knife in the grappling situations we were put into.

Is there any possibility of a smaller version of the spyderco shivworks p'kal to be created so it is easier to deploy in these grappling situations.

I already notice a huge difference when deploying a Emerson dragonfly compared to my Emerson delica when sitting in a car or other extreme close quarters situations
I've got both knives (pkal, waved Dfly). Im trying to envision a smaller pkal. My hand takes up most of the handle and I have small hands. I use lanyards on the Dfly for better grip.

Are you still thinking of using a smaller pkal in reverse edge in grip?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm
dd61999 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:52 am

I've got both knives (pkal, waved Dfly). Im trying to envision a smaller pkal. My hand takes up most of the handle and I have small hands. I use lanyards on the Dfly for better grip.

Are you still thinking of using a smaller pkal in reverse edge in grip?
The shivworks clinch pick has an even smaller handle and it works great

...and yes, reverse grip edge in
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Might work. You should sketch up what you have in mind.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomH

Post by TomH »

An interesting idea.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DD,

Is that a Shivworks Clinch-pick? What blade size are you thinking? I'm assuming you mean a folder? Have you seen or used our P'Kal?

sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 pm
Hi DD,

Is that a Shivworks Clinch-pick? What blade size are you thinking? I'm assuming you mean a folder? Have you seen or used our P'Kal?

sal

Yes a shivworks clinch pick

I was thinking 2.25-2.5” blade with approximately a three inch handle . In a folder design...I have used the p'kal but it can be to big to deploy when your body is in various grappling positions

I think a smaller knife would be easier to deploy in these situations, hence why I find the original clinch pick to be effective
Last edited by Blue72 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:05 pm
Might work. You should sketch up what you have in mind.
I’m not known for drawing skills

But a scaled down baby p'kal is what I’m thinking
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 pm
dd61999 wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

As for comfort, these are so small that they can be comfortably concealed in any outfit, even directly in the pocket.

If you're in a situation that calls for pulling a P'kal in the office and you are concerned with someone's reaction, maybe you should just run. :p
Lmao, yeah running is probably the way to go.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:48 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 pm
dd61999 wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Lmao, yeah running is probably the way to go.

Not everyone can be a pirate for a career. Most of us have more civilized jobs! 😋
sal

Post by sal »

You mentioned "grappling". Are you a LEO? Where do you carry your Clinch Pick and how do you deploy it?

The handle on our P'Kal is not quite 4.5", A 3" handle would be only for 3 fingers and might be hard to hold onto in a situation? The "Clinch Pick" shown has a Perrin Finger Ring which certainly helps with retention. Have you seen a "Swick"?

Our P'Kal has a large indent next to the spine of the blade to help with retention. Are you thinking to keep the indent, but just make the blade and handle shorter?

I can't find any information or reference to the "Clinch Pick" shown above. All I can find is Southnarc's original version. Can you point me to any?

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:27 pm
You mentioned "grappling". Are you a LEO? Where do you carry your Clinch Pick and how do you deploy it?

The handle on our P'Kal is not quite 4.5", A 3" handle would be only for 3 fingers and might be hard to hold onto in a situation? The "Clinch Pick" shown has a Perrin Finger Ring which certainly helps with retention. Have you seen a "Swick"?

Our P'Kal has a large indent next to the spine of the blade to help with retention. Are you thinking to keep the indent, but just make the blade and handle shorter?

sal
Correct! It is one of Fred's custom La Griffe.

I've been stalking his instagram for a while, waiting for certain pictures to be posted. :p

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

We use Fred's Finger Ring on our Swick which works for Forward and reverse grip using the index finger of the pinky in the finger ring. It will deploy very quickly from a neck, belt or pocket, but the edge is out, not up or in. I imagine a custom Swick could be made?

I'll think about a smaller P'Kal, or maybe ask Roque, or proto guy to cut a P'Kal down for me to play with. I don't think that taking off a half or even 3/4 of an inch would make that much difference. I'll try to draw one up with a 2.0" blade.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just a few pictures of the Swick, for reference.

I love this model. I'm "patiently" waiting on a few customs from Monsieur Perrin.

(Also, the Swick 5/6)

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Fred is a great designer, a skilled practitioner and a generally good guy. I've learned a great deal from him and Mike Janich, also top drawer..

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Agreed on both.

Provided BladeShow doesn't get canceled again, I'll be able to pester both of them and loiter at the prototype case. Atleast, until I'm shooed away...

:D

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

We never shoo anyone away from the prototype case.

sal