How many is too many?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

How many is too many?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ok so I think I have a problem :eek: I can't stop buying Spydercos! :D I've been buying like one a week this past month. This can't be healthy can it? I mean you can't possibly run out of them right? It happened to Spyderco with the mules what if it happens to me?!. I guess I'll calm myself down by looking at Rejects collection knowing I still have plenty left....for now! :(

Seriously I bought a S35VN Native 5 LW on Spyderco Swap. It was too good a deal to pass up. The knife is a second but I only paid what they paid for it. I know how good my second is so I'm not to worried about that. It should be here tomorrow hopefully.
steelcity16

Re: How many is too many?

Post by steelcity16 »

When your wife throws your stuff on the lawn. Otherwise, no such thing. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

You will eventually stop buying spyderco knives... And then the next Reveal will drop. :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

One more is never enough.

I have just about hit my limit though. When I can look at the collection in my closet and realise thats where my new motorcycle is, its time to purge it all down.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Once you narrow it down to the best knife for your needs and preferences and you end up with a bunch that you never use or carry, you've got enough.

At least until the next sprint/exclusive/new model comes out :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's definitely a problem when you first start getting into them. But I'm finding as my collection has grown and realization of what is practical for my daily needs, or fancy dress needs...that I really don't need EVERY new knife that comes out. Once I start overlapping colors, steels and more than 3-4 variations of the same model, I tell myself to chill out!

Then I go spend a bunch of money on other brands to rationalize buying a new knife...so I guess that really isn't doing me any good, or being helpful to you :p
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Unfortunately, that is not a question that anyone on this forum can answer.

;)
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Back in the early 2000s, I was up to about 1 or 2 new knives per month. Not just Spyderco, but other brands in the last as well.

For several years now, I’ve cut down drastically on my knife purchases. I’ll be surprised if I buy one or two this year at all. Over the years, I accumulated many knives (though not as many as many of the members here). Even so, there are a few I use and many more that I don’t. For any purchases now, I am EXTREMELY picky. In the past, I have gone a few years without any buying new knives at all, so for me it’s always doable.

It starts to be too many when you no longer enjoy a knife after its newness has worn off.

Jim
JMM

Post by JMM »

Funny you should mention that, I was reorganizing a new 30 Pac into the collection last night and realized I have to buy a bigger bed to hold any more... or another bed.... hrmmm

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Two is too many. I have not seen that number in decades. :-(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i try to keep from having too much overlap, at least within the brand. i think all of my knives are very different from each other. i don't have two of any model, except the ladybug, but it's hard to call them the same when one is from the early '90s and the other is a hawkbill salt. i also try not to repeat steels, with the exception of salt models that are quite different from each other.
this has still allowed me to build up a collection without it getting out of hand. sure, i carry some more than others, but that doesn't really bother me at all. i love them all and they each have their place.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
When your wife throws your stuff on the lawn. Otherwise, no such thing. :D
Luckily the wife approves...for now :p.
Evil D wrote: Once you narrow it down to the best knife for your needs and preferences and you end up with a bunch that you never use or carry, you've got enough.

At least until the next sprint/exclusive/new model comes out :D
That's something I'm worried about. My taste in knives is changing so fast.
JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:42 pm
Funny you should mention that, I was reorganizing a new 30 Pac into the collection last night and realized I have to buy a bigger bed to hold any more... or another bed.... hrmmm

:eek:
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:47 pm
i try to keep from having too much overlap, at least within the brand. i think all of my knives are very different from each other. i don't have two of any model, except the ladybug, but it's hard to call them the same when one is from the early '90s and the other is a hawkbill salt. i also try not to repeat steels, with the exception of salt models that are quite different from each other.
this has still allowed me to build up a collection without it getting out of hand. sure, i carry some more than others, but that doesn't really bother me at all. i love them all and they each have their place.
You just had to remind me I need a Ladybug didn't ya :mad:. Come to think of it I don't have any Seki City knives. :(
archangel

Post by archangel »

When you can't pay for food and/or rent or things like that, yet still buy/order another knife.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm
You just had to remind me I need a Ladybug didn't ya :mad:. Come to think of it I don't have any Seki City knives. :(

NO Sekis?? You are missing out my friend :)

Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

archangel wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm
When you can't pay for food and/or rent or things like that, yet still buy/order another knife.
I said I had a problem not that I'm stupid. :p
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have 3, one will be sold soon, a different one will arrive in a few weeks. That will be it for a while. I will only buy more if I sell some. I have 2 more other pocket knives. That’s it. I only keep what I use. Would I love to try more? Absolutely, but buying and selling always comes with a loss, and right now I must be a little more careful :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:47 pm
haha! the ladybug hawkbill is a useful little tool. as far as other seki models go, i'd start with a salt. they're lightweight and wonderful. everyone should have at least one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

After you buy enough of a wide range of Spydies, you might narrow it down to a couple of features/sizes you really like. And that could focus what you buy next. Maybe.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Seriously I bought a S35VN Native 5 LW on Spyderco Swap. It was too good a deal to pass up. The knife is a second but I only paid what they paid for it. I know how good my second is so I'm not to worried about that. It should be here tomorrow hopefully.
Hope you enjoy it :)
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ