Swick 5 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Swick 5 ETA?

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm
Hi Zuludelta,

How small do you think that line is? We have another small Fixed blade in-the-works in addition to the Swick. In my opinion, I think the issue is more of purchase than blade length?

sal
I agree, in small fixed-blades, I find that any issue in utility almost always stems from a lack of solid purchase rather than blade length. For me, it is important that I am able to really bear down on a knife to cut through dense or fibrous material without sacrificing precision, and that usually means having solid contact between the handle's grip area and my extended thumb and at least my first two fingers, to keep the knife from twisting in hand (think modified sabre grip or a variation of Janich's "Filipino grip").

For me, this isn't just a matter of handle length, but also of handle "height". A thumb ramp can help in this regard—a great example of this in a folding knife is the Dragonfly 2, which feels much bigger in hand than it looks.

Of course if I'm carrying a small fixed-blade in pocket, it's for use mostly as a utility/convenience cutter, not as a scaled-down bushcraft tool or camp knife, so a blade length upwards of, say, 2 or 2 & 1/8th inches is sufficient. Absolute handle length is trickier to estimate, since some of my favourite efficient small knife designs (like the aforementioned Dragonfly) blur the line between blade and handle somewhat, but I think an overall length (blade + handle) upwards of 5 & a quarter inches would serve for small, medium, and large hand sizes.
vivi wrote: You'll love the Swick. It sits right between the Street Beat and Ark in terms of size, but handles a lot closer to the SB than Ark. Nice palm filling grip for how compact it is.

Still wild to me we're getting these in LC200N with scales and sheath. If you let me pick any model and any steel for a sprint this combo would be in my top three.
Yeah, LC200N is a really great choice of steel for the new Swick. I like how CTS-BD1N has held up in my Ronin 2 & if I understand the chemistry correctly (and if my experience with the Waterway is anything to go by), LC200N will offer similar edge retention while being significantly tougher and of course, be exponentially more corrosion resistant.
samsudds

Post by samsudds »

Glad to hear production completed but gating release due to sheath development. Small hiccup but hopefully it could been resolved ASAP.

Swick 6 would be great companion to my Ronin 2. Consider to buy another set of them since they are too durable, functional and timeless IMHO.
vivi

Post by vivi »

should be soon. :)
:unicorn
samsudds

Post by samsudds »

Any rumors yet? :D
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I like to carry two different knives for different uses, often plain edge/spyder edge. Lately I've been mixing fixed/folding as well but that really limits ones choices. There really aren't many edc-able serrated fixed blades (to be combined with a plain edge folder in my case)! I think the Enuff is just about the only choice but I'm a bit put off by the thick blade stock.

And here we've got the Swick! I really am very exited about it!

Another small fixed blade like what Sal hinted at would be very attractive as well, most of Spydercos fixed blade aren't really EDC sized for me. Really curious as to whether the Street Beat will come out in a new version as well. Maybe serrated as well?
/ David
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

In anticipation of the Swick release, I picked up a Perrin La Griffe with a tanto blade a couple months back to try out the concept. I'll post up a few pics later, but it really is a remarkable design and I think having a serrated Wharnie version from Sal will be a really good iteration on the design. It is truly secure in the hand, the short blade is more useful than it looks, and I can slip it in a pocket like it's a medium-sized folder.
archangel

Post by archangel »

How much longer?
tenor (1).gif
tenor (1).gif (45.77 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Here's the chisel-ground Perrin I got a couple months ago that has made me even more excited about the Swick 5 release.
Last edited by TenGrainBread on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I've been trying really hard to keep my mind off of the Swick, TenGrainBread, trying to be patient. Those pics aren't helping :D
But seriously, That's a nice looking knife!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

4175798.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

We have knives. Waiting on sheaths.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hurray!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

This is the only knife on my list right now. I can't wait to get it in hand :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:37 am
This and another Millie are all that's on mine. Wonder if the next reveal will have any surprises that change that?
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
This and another Millie are all that's on mine. Wonder if the next reveal will have any surprises that change that?

Right? There's usually a nice surprise in the Reveals. All the K390 blades in the last Reveal were almost hard to believe.

Which Millie are you looking at?
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 am
vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

Right? There's usually a nice surprise in the Reveals. All the K390 blades in the last Reveal were almost hard to believe.

Which Millie are you looking at?
Something in DLC. The Military works really well in my summer attire, so I want something really corrosion resistant. I'd love to see a 4V run, or a CE DLC S30V. I'm planning to pick up one of the CQI DLC S30V's this summer if no sprints are announced by then.
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's nice that Sal chimed in. It just feels like this status was reported by him half a year ago already. No progress. Or is my memory failing me?

This is no criticism, it's no fault of Sal, probably not even the sheath maker's to blame. Just frustration about the whole Corona crap situation.....
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 am
Something in DLC. The Military works really well in my summer attire, so I want something really corrosion resistant. I'd love to see a 4V run, or a CE DLC S30V. I'm planning to pick up one of the CQI DLC S30V's this summer if no sprints are announced by then.

Who knows, maybe a Military or Police Salt will find it's way into a Reveal this year.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 am
Police Salt
THAT would be cool.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 am
Police Salt
THAT would be cool.

So a Water Police? ;)
Michael