That Native Chief ... is huge!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CPM-Greg

Re: That Native Chief ... is huge!!

Post by CPM-Greg »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

I think the size will grow on you. I was all about the small knives until I got my hands on the Shaman which led to the Police 4 and Chief. Now I love big knives.
I see a Subvert in your future! LOL. Love my Subvert and still waiting for my Native Chief CF S90V to arrive here in Australia.

Take care, stay safe, be sharp.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
archangel

Post by archangel »

I love my Shaman. I love leaf shaped blades. I love big knives!

I am not sure I'd love the Chief though. The ratio of length vs width of the blade is so much more appealing in the Shaman. I don't own a Chief yet, haven't yet handled one either. But from the pics... they just don't trigger the same must-have feeling.

Someone hand me a Chief please, so I can really see / feel for myself! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i had a similar change in preference to some people here. i was carrying 3" pocket knives and perfectly happy then i got my pacific salt, which i thought was perfectly appropriate for it's intended use. i thought it was big when i got it. then i started to see the benefit of a larger folder (especially when cutting food), so i bought a resilience. the resilience is such a great and underrated knife. it's basically the perfect folding kitchen utility knife. when you look at a knife that's larger and think of intended uses like this, they become smaller in your mind, or at least more sensible to carry. for a kitchen knife, the resilience is small. for a pocket knife that you can use to cut your kids' food on the go, it's the perfect size. it doesn't feel huge to me anymore, even though the first time i flicked it open, i laughed at how big it is.
as far as sheeple go... they are just people that haven't had the opportunity to discover the usefulness yet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 am
i had a similar change in preference to some people here. i was carrying 3" pocket knives and perfectly happy then i got my pacific salt, which i thought was perfectly appropriate for it's intended use. i thought it was big when i got it. then i started to see the benefit of a larger folder (especially when cutting food), so i bought a resilience. the resilience is such a great and underrated knife. it's basically the perfect folding kitchen utility knife. when you look at a knife that's larger and think of intended uses like this, they become smaller in your mind, or at least more sensible to carry. for a kitchen knife, the resilience is small. for a pocket knife that you can use to cut your kids' food on the go, it's the perfect size. it doesn't feel huge to me anymore, even though the first time i flicked it open, i laughed at how big it is.
as far as sheeple go... they are just people that haven't had the opportunity to discover the usefulness yet.
This is very true.
I used to totally ignore large folding knives, but as I've become more used to using folders and pushing the envelope of what they can be used for, using folders for food prep has really changed my perspective of what's a reasonable size for a folder.

I still prefer the smaller folders for EDC, but in the outdoors where you don't have easy access to specific knives for every specific task that might come up, large lightweight folders have their place.
I think the Chief has a design that lends itself well to my intended use; ie. large but still a pocket friendly profile and a reasonable weight with linerless G10 and compared to many other designs, the cutting edge is better positioned for cutting up food. The CF/S90V could have been a nice version for my use, but it was prohibitively expensive, at least around here. So I guess I'll just wait for the MagnaCut version.
archangel

Post by archangel »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 am
ladybug93 wrote:
This is very true.
I used to totally ignore large folding knives, but as I've become more used to using folders and pushing the envelope of what they can be used for, using folders for food prep has really changed my perspective of what's a reasonable size for a folder.

I still prefer the smaller folders for EDC, but in the outdoors where you don't have easy access to specific knives for every specific task that might come up, large lightweight folders have their place.
I think the Chief has a design that lends itself well to my intended use; ie. large but still a pocket friendly profile and a reasonable weight with linerless G10 and compared to many other designs, the cutting edge is better positioned for cutting up food. The CF/S90V could have been a nice version for my use, but it was prohibitively expensive, at least around here. So I guess I'll just wait for the MagnaCut version.

Are you aware, that's probably minimum 1-2 years from now?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

archangel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:07 am
aicolainen wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 am
ladybug93 wrote:
This is very true.

Are you aware, that's probably minimum 1-2 years from now?
Sure. Or even never.
I don't expect anything from Spyderco, but a Chief in Magnacut doesn't seem to be such a bad idea to me, so it was more to test the waters and see if it triggered any responses :)

I'm in no hurry. I have knives. I'll buy more. And I'll probably still buy more in 1-2 years from now, so time to market isn't an issue. If every knife I wanted was available right now, I'd be overwhelmed. Delayed gratification has it's upsides - I guess :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have added a bit of KPL on the pivot and tang of the blade and man, the knife is now super smooth. It kinda makes it feel ... less huge :p
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Nope, it is perfect IMHO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

CPM-Greg wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I think the size will grow on you. I was all about the small knives until I got my hands on the Shaman which led to the Police 4 and Chief. Now I love big knives.
I see a Subvert in your future! LOL. Love my Subvert and still waiting for my Native Chief CF S90V to arrive here in Australia.

CPM-Greg
I almost bought a Subvert a few weeks ago. Decided to get both Chief sprints instead. What gave me pause with the Subvert was I typically don't like knives with a lot of belly, and I've seen countless people including Nati Amor himself say that the knife is a thumb biter. Also liner locks are not a total deal breaker, but they're not my favorite. I also don't like Orange (I'd dye the scales). But yes that said, I had one in the cart, and came very close to pulling the trigger on one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Matus wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 am
I really like the solid feel if the Chief. It is not anywhere as silky as my GB1, but for a backlock it is great. I found out, that if I use the tip of my thumbnail to push the lock all the way down, the blade will fall as freely as it does on a compression lock when the lock is disengaged.

Sometimes I use the joint of my thumb to depress the lock.

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:41 pm
I love it at the length that it is. The only thing that would be better would be to ADD an inch to the blade length. :p

Now we are cooking with gas, Native Chief XL! :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I certainly fall on the smaller knife end of the preference spectrum and don't really carry my bigger knives much. Handling the Native Chief at St. Nick's a little, I was surprised by how ergonomic and light it felt for such a sword. Still, my reaction was the same as the OPs, I'd really like to see a Native Brave, or maybe a Native Warrior, something with Native ergos between the regular 5 and the Chief, that takes up less pocket real estate and has maybe a 3.5" blade.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:01 pm
CPM-Greg wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:

CPM-Greg
I almost bought a Subvert a few weeks ago. Decided to get both Chief sprints instead. What gave me pause with the Subvert was I typically don't like knives with a lot of belly, and I've seen countless people including Nati Amor himself say that the knife is a thumb biter. Also liner locks are not a total deal breaker, but they're not my favorite. I also don't like Orange (I'd dye the scales). But yes that said, I had one in the cart, and came very close to pulling the trigger on one.
LOL. Tell Nati he is correct; once bitten, now I mostly close the knife with two hands. The Subvert is such a different knife that I do hope you get one into your collection some year. Cheers!

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I once thought that the Para2 was the perfect size. Then I bought a Cruwear Military just to try the steel. I carried that Military for months and one day I switched back to a Para2 and every time I opened it I wondered where the rest of the blade went. Big knives have a way of shrinking on you.

As a kid the adults around me pretty much carried one of two knives. They were either a Buck 110 or an Old Timer Stockman. Those two knives and a few Swiss Army Knives were all I had in my childhood. Looking back, nobody thought a Buck 110 was a folding sword back then and by today’s standards it is a large knife. I guess that just shows how much perception has changed.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Huge? Yes, it is long. It is also hugely awesome! :cool: :spyder:
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am
I once thought that the Para2 was the perfect size. Then I bought a Cruwear Military just to try the steel. I carried that Military for months and one day I switched back to a Para2 and every time I opened it I wondered where the rest of the blade went. Big knives have a way of shrinking on you.

As a kid the adults around me pretty much carried one of two knives. They were either a Buck 110 or an Old Timer Stockman. Those two knives and a few Swiss Army Knives were all I had in my childhood. Looking back, nobody thought a Buck 110 was a folding sword back then and by today’s standards it is a large knife. I guess that just shows how much perception has changed.

Yeah, when I was a kid, nobody thought the Buck 110 was a folding sword, although it was (is) a large folder.

I have an old Japan-made CS Voyager with a 6” blade. Add to that its ginormous handle (which is the same as the old Vaquero model’s), and it’s a beast of a folder. After playing around with that for awhile, my Military or Police models feel compact or even small in my hand.

OTOH, if all someone carries and uses are small knives, like the Dragonfly or the Ladybug, and they try out a Delica, at first the Delica will feel like a big knife.

It’s all individual perception.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

Same experience here with the 110. Carried one for years like most my friends. Never had any issues.
:unicorn
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I guess experiences vary, the only folks I knew growing up who carried 110s carried them in leather belt sheaths, so it's not like they were riding clipped in pockets. My grandfather and most of his peers that I knew always had a pocket knife on them, but it was usually a small, well-worn multi-blade slip joint, the knives I carry are a good bit larger than those. That was a small southern town though, different places of course have different cultures when it comes to such things.

I don't have anything against large knives, I just don't gravitate to the larger blades in my collection as they aren't as convenient for me. Knives aren't really weapons for me, I have pistols for that purpose, so as tools they don't need to be terribly big for my applications.

All of that said, I'm all for anyone else carrying whatever size blade they want, and I do think a ~3.5" Native would make a good woods/camping knife, or perhaps hunting folder (although I strongly prefer fixed blades for that use).
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:38 am
Matus wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 am
I really like the solid feel if the Chief. It is not anywhere as silky as my GB1, but for a backlock it is great. I found out, that if I use the tip of my thumbnail to push the lock all the way down, the blade will fall as freely as it does on a compression lock when the lock is disengaged.
Sometimes I use the joint of my thumb to depress the lock.
Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:41 pm
I love it at the length that it is. The only thing that would be better would be to ADD an inch to the blade length. :p
Now we are cooking with gas, Native Chief XL! :D
Don't you just love that Native Chief blade profile? A Native Chief XL is definitely needed! Of all of my Spyderco folders, the Native Chief has the best blade profile.

MAKE IT SO @SAL!!!!

Just one Native Chief XL Sprint Run of 1200 knives. You will pull in all of the Native Chief buyers AND all the Cold Steel large knife lovers! I predict there would not be one available in less than 30 days.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:10 am
Huge? Yes, it is long. It is also hugely awesome! :cool: :spyder:
:D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I really do want a Tatanka sprint.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal