Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by vivi »

I'm in for at least 2 4V's. Maybe 3. I'd like to keep one stock and black out another, assuming I don't do that to an XHP run.
:unicorn
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I think the 4V and M4 fit the model well. I will be looking for a CPM Cruwear or CPM Magnacut as well. The native melts into my hand so a smooth G10 works fine and is easy on the pocket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm
How do you find Rex45's level of corrosion resistance?
Hey Wartstein, couldn't find your post where you asked me this, but wanted to tag you because I knew you'd be interested in this picture:

This is after carrying it IWB on a few trail runs in 75F weather. Doesn't look like it'll be doing so hot when its another 30F warmer.

I haven't tried cleaning it yet. I'll get around to that later tonight, and may post a follow up.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Vivi, you need that S90v. Just saying.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

My K390 Endura did the same, when I was sweating. It was easy to remove with eraser.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 pm
Vivi, you need that S90v. Just saying.
Everyone here is more worried about corrosion on this knife than I am :p

That D2 Millie was carried most days for five or six years, including plenty of summer carry. It had a line on the blade from sweat exposure that eventually turned into patina.

Anyways most of it came off with an old toothbrush and a splash of bar keepers friend. While I'm letting this one patina I won't let orange rust get out of control.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm
How do you find Rex45's level of corrosion resistance?
Hey Wartstein, couldn't find your post where you asked me this, but wanted to tag you because I knew you'd be interested in this picture:

This is after carrying it IWB on a few trail runs in 75F weather. Doesn't look like it'll be doing so hot when its another 30F warmer.

I haven't tried cleaning it yet. I'll get around to that later tonight, and may post a follow up.

Thanks Vivi!

And the miracle goes on... ;) :
My Manix 2 LW in REX 45 almost certainly must have seen more IWB-running carry and certainly more food prep and generally cutting and use than your Chief, just cause I have it a lot longer than you the Chief and use/carry it a lot.
I just tried to make a pic of the slight "patina spots" it has developed so far, and gave up cause they are so subtle that it´s hard to make them visible on a photo...anyway no rust at all like your Chief shows!!

It is and remains just like it is: For whatever reason I seemingly almost CAN`T rust knives... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm surprised you don't just force a patina on your non stainless blades and be done with it Vivi. A vinegar dunk or acid wash, yellow mustard even.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein, that's a good problem to have! Especially when it comes to the pocket multitools we like to carry!
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 pm
I'm surprised you don't just force a patina on your non stainless blades and be done with it Vivi. A vinegar dunk or acid wash, yellow mustard even.
I've always does the vinegar route with carbon steel folders but I wanted to try and let this one develop a natural patina instead.

I have a stainless Chief coming, so I can carry that if I feel inclined.

If the rex45 one keeps getting orange specks from sweat but otherwise not forming a natural patina all that fast, I may do a vinegar soak when the weather really heats up at the end of the month. We'll see. I need to buy some more acidic fruits and veggies to slice up I suppose.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

👍🏻

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:00 am
If the rex45 one keeps getting orange specks from sweat but otherwise not forming a natural patina all that fast, I may do a vinegar soak when the weather really heats up at the end of the month. We'll see. I need to buy some more acidic fruits and veggies to slice up I suppose.
I am going to have a hard time doing it on a fixed income, but I'm going to try and collect all variants to the Native Chief. I really like it.

I'd be interested in whatever you do to patina your Native Chief. Keep us informed.

Thank you!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's some images that show may favorite feature of the Chief - no thumb ramp:

Where my thumb goes on the Police VS where it naturally wants to go. On the Police you can see my thumb gets kind of cramped. So I use the further back grip about 90% of the time, and when I choke up I usually hold the knife in hammer grip to avoid the thumb issue.

Where my thumb would go if the Chief had a ramp, vs where I like to put my thumb when nothing is obstructing it.

Its a small thing that makes a huge difference for me in use.

In fact, as an experiment, grab a knife that fits you like a glove. Hold it in saber grip like in my images with your thumb where it naturally wants to go. Then scoot your thumb back about an inch. Now go cut up some cardboard or whittle a stick. Just cut something that requires a bit of force with your thumb in that position until it starts to feel bad. That's how I feel using many thumb ramp designs choked up.

In fact, lately I've been using the index choil more than not. I've never done that with a larger folder that offers good grips in both positions. Never ever.

I'm going to pick up a Native Salt for summer carry this month. My time with the Chief makes me want to try the Native again even though I prefer larger knives. Haven't owned one since you could buy them at Walmart!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wartstein, that's a good problem to have! Especially when it comes to the pocket multitools we like to carry!
ZrowsN1s wrote:
I've always does the vinegar route with carbon steel folders but I wanted to try and let this one develop a natural patina instead.

True! :)

/ On the "vinegar dunk" / "route": Do you just dunk the blade in vinegar and let it sit for a while, or does it have to be boiling vinegar?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:35 am
vivi wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

True! :)

/ On the "vinegar dunk" / "route": Do you just dunk the blade in vinegar and let it sit for a while, or does it have to be boiling vinegar?
Its as easy as pouring some vinegar in a cup and letting it sit for half hour increments. Room temperature works fine.

Once the color is as deep as you want, rinse it off then scrub off the surface residue with a damp towel.

I put the blade in the cup first then pour enough in the blade is covered but the pivot stays clean. Alternatively you could coat the pivot and lock interface with something that won't break down in vinegar.

An easy way to get cool patterns is to soak a paper towel in vinegar and lay that flat on the blade. It won't be a solid gray, it will take on the pattern from the paper towel. That's how I started the D2 Military I had.

Mustard works good for making stripes. Scoop two spoonfuls in a plastic baggie, twist it tight, then snip off the very corner to make a piping bag, then go to town.

Here's a few fixed blades I started off with vinegar, mustard, or stabbing into an acidic fruit:

I like to strip the ESEE's then soak them in vinegar for an hour or so. Gives them a better look, they cut better and the spine can spark a fire steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When I had mine apart for the scale rit dye I was going to do some fancy mustard striping using a string soaked in mustard. Was going to make a sunburst pattern. But then I thought I was doing too much. Between the red scales, blue lanyard and the heat anodized ti-bead, I thought I was going to make the knife too 'busy'. So I'm going to see how a natural patina sets in.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Ongoing impression..

I have L sized hands, and I think the Chief is not only a goldielocks zone knife, but also one of those designs that are hard to improve, but easy to degrade.

A great choice for when the Police and Millie are too big. Its handle provides enough leverage and is comfy enough for gloved hands, but also fits the naked hand in normal use.

- The blade size - or the edge length to be precise - and its shape is more usable than the Native 5/Para 3 type stocky blades. While I like and prefer forward finger choils, I always miss the lost edge on models such as the PM2, the Manix and smaller knives. With the Chief I am finally getting that missing edge back. The edge is equal to the one on the Caribbean and even surpasses some choil-less models like the Swayback or the GB2. A bigger and more comfortable forward finger choil than the one on the PM2 or even on the Military and a long enough cutting edge in the same knife means not only I can have my cake and eat it too, but that the cake is more tasty as well.

- Further, no hump / no ramp means not only ergonomic bonus, but also improved carriability.
- Great lock. hm. Let me rephrase: Best lock.
- The weight is pretty optimal - the G10 version is nearly as light as the one in carbon fiber.
- Last, but not least, the phosphor bronze washers are like a dream, even before polishing.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I was able to snag one of the Rex 45 chiefs, and after fondling it for a while, there's one observation about the knife I'm finding odd given my usual tastes. I normally like Spyderco's 50/50 choils, but it really doesn't seem like it benefits this one. Gripping up on the choil doesn't feel right like on other models, and I'd rather have a bit more edge instead.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Native Chief might become my favorite Spydie. My CF S90v sprint is really sweet and carries really well. Slim and light for such utility.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

It is a remarkable knife in so many ways, but I’m finding that the amount of blade and cutting power for the size of the footprint is the most impressive feature. Not sure I’ve got anything else that matches it in that category. The Rex 45 and factory grind have been really impressive as well.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:03 am
I like to strip the ESEE's then soak them in vinegar for an hour or so. Gives them a better look, they cut better and the spine can spark a fire steel.
Question vivi. Do you pull the scales off and strip & soak the whole knife? Or just the blade?

Is the vinegar soak as good as, or nearly as good as the paint at keeping the knife from corroding?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.