To decide between these 4 Spydercos..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Re: To decide between these 4 Spydercos..

Post by TheGiant80 »

Fantastic input so far everyone; much to consider. Really appreciate it. It appears the Millie has a slight advantage right now, and I’d love to hear from a few more people before pulling the trigger.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I loved the look of the Vallotton until I saw one in person. Like taping two rolls of quarters end to end. No, thank you.

Of the others, I have a few Enduras, no Caribbeans and over a dozen Militaries. If I were going to pick one for myself, it would be the Millie by a wide margin, most likely in S110V.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

all good choices, but the caribbean sheepsfoot se is the way to go.

reasons:

1. maintenance free, rustproof lc200n steel is always good to go, no matter what situation you find yourself in.
2. sheepsfoot blade is safe for emergency use, but still has enough of a point for piercing when needed.
3. spyderedge is amazing for cutting anything you have to cut in an emergency and perfectly fine for day to day cutting tasks as well.
4. better cutting edge to handle ratio than other choices.
5. more neutral grip makes it more comfortable.
6. lc200n is a breeze to touch up and holds an edge adequately for edc.
7. taichung quality.
8. compression lock is smooth as glass and has that fidget factor while keeping your fingers clear of the closing blade.
9. it looks like a rescue tool instead of a threatening knife.
10. it's the ugliest of all you listed, so it's the least likely to get stolen and the most likely to pleasantly surprise you and anyone else that uses it.
11. the very slight belly gives you the best of both worlds between a leaf shaped blade and a wharncliffe blade.

it's an amazing knife. i've said it before, but it combines the best parts of my three favorite spydercos (manix 2, pacific salt se, and yojimbo 2) into one package. since getting my sheepsfoot caribbean se, i have a hard time grabbing knives i like more and end up carrying it more often than anything else.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Giant, you could also wait and see if a Leaf Jumper XL will come out soon (though I am afraid this will take some time, especially concerning XL...)

It could basically be a Caribbean, but with a backlock, imho more versatile, safer and better suited for general outdoor use (!) than a comp. lock. A backlock Caribbean would be an almost perfect knife (and btw.: Should you really need to keep your fingers all the time out of the blade path while closing the knife: No problem to do with a backlock too!! [EDIT: Ladybug, just now read your post: Not meant offensive towards you! (Since you mentioned this exact same point as pro for the comp lock))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

While I like a sheepsfoot blade for a lot of things, it would not be my first choice for an all-purpose knife. Serrations have their place as well, but again, that would not be my first choice to do everything. LC200N did not impress me in the Mule, but that may have been due to its proximity to Maxamet, which suits my uses much better. And for the sake of full disclosure, I just don't like the compression lock. I've tried off and on for years, but I just can't like it. For all those reasons, I personally would not have had the Caribbean on the list of choices. Luckily, I don't have to live with the decision, either.

On the other hand, we aren't talking about houses, or even cars. Any of those choices can be had for less than what smokers blow on cigarettes in a month.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"Raw cutting power" is the Caribbean by a wide margin over the others. The Military is also a favorite but the SE version isn't nearly as good as the Caribbean and that's if you can find one. The Vallotton is also a favorite of mine but not only is it a pocket brick (which I actually don't mind, the ergonomics awesome) it also isn't much of a slicer with the low/thick grind. The Endura should be a great slicer but word is the K390 models are eventually getting SE options so I'd wait for that if you really want an Endura.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:52 pm
I know I know. It’s another one of “those” threads. For what it’s worth, I have laboured over this decision for weeks. It’s kept me up at night (for real). I’m trying to decide between these four knives which happen to all be Spyderco products. Observe:

-Vallotton
-Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE
-Military S30V
-Endura K390

I’m looking for longevity. I’m looking for raw cutting power. This will be my new EDC. I don’t want a pocket brick (which I know the Vallotton sort of is but I LOVE the look of it), but it doesn’t need to be feather-light either.

I have enormous hands, but my current EDC (Endura 4 VG10 CE) feels fine so a massive handle isn’t required. I’m not a steel snob by any means, but that’s not to say I won’t enjoy something more badass than a base model.

I’ve read every review I can find. I’ve drooled over EvilD’s Caribbean torture thread. My mind has been blown by a user checking in after 10 years of Millie use.

I dunno guys. I know I should just pick one already, but I’d love to hear input from a few folks who have a definite favourite from my list. Much obliged!

EDIT: Use will include everything from opening mail and packages to week-long camping trips in the Rocky Mountains.
The answer is the Caribbean. As a working tool, it's unbeatable. The size of a PM2, with the blade specs of a Military. Combine that with LC200N and it is a juggernaut.

I do love the Ti Millies as well. But, I'd still say the Caribbean.

The Vallotton is a pocket BRICK. No kinda about it. I would definitely get one. Just, not as an EDC. Get one and have Vallotton turn it into a D/A auto, with the hidden switch. I regret selling my D/A...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Blades

Post by Blades »

I have a Military(CPM-M4) and am looking for a SE Caribbean(Leaf blade). But, If I can only pick one from your four? Military. But, why not carry two? Left side and right side blades. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blades wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:14 am
I have a Military(CPM-M4) and am looking for a SE Caribbean(Leaf blade). But, If I can only pick one from your four? Military. But, why not carry two? Left side and right side blades. :)

I've got the M4, 52100 and a SE S30V Military. It's a good thing we don't HAVE to pick just one :eek:

I'd have to go with the 52100 actually. There's just something about that knife. I wish it was offered in full SE though.
~David
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Blades wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:14 am

I've got the M4, 52100 and a SE S30V Military. It's a good thing we don't HAVE to pick just one :eek:

I'd have to go with the 52100 actually. There's just something about that knife. I wish it was offered in full SE though.
The 52100 Military is the only knife of which I have duplicates. Not only Spyderco, only knife. I vote S30V Millie with a second place being the k390 Endura. This thread needs pics. Image
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You already have an endura. I absolutely LOVE the Millie. I am a steel snob though... I think a large SE knife is the perfect companion to the Millie. So I vote Caribbean and Millie.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

If you don’t have a Millie or Caribbean, those are must haves for any Spydienut, IMO.

But K390 in the Endura would tip my personal preference in that direction if you had to choose just one.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Here is a Millie and another option I like which sadly appears not currently available. Police 4 K390 G10. The Endura K390 on your list would be close, though I would still choose the Millie for outdoor weeklong activities based on your options.

aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:52 pm
-Vallotton
-Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE
-Military S30V
-Endura K390
I don’t have these models but my pm2 and para 3 in k390 are absolute beasts. Awesome steel.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My hands are not extra long, but they are thick. Think baseball mitt. I wear a 2XL glove, usually. I can get by with the Military, but to be honest, once I shave down that first finger bump, the Endura fits better. I have more actual grip area and more room for my hand. I'd personally take an Endura, but the Police 4 in K390 might be even better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

K390 Endura.Clear winner. Great steel, ergos, light and slim to carry, round edges allaround, pleasure to use, very thin edge geometry. Imense cutting power with character.

Military is a bit thick behind the edge, to my taste, liner lock tab is a hot spot in tight grip. With Basic S30V You don't get so much cutting power and performance as K390.

Carribean has very good edge to handle ratio, but vasp stripes are not for everyone, LC200N even with serrarions is not K390 level of edge retention IMHO. Sorry Evil D.

Valloton is more collector piece, than EDC.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Igi964 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:29 am
Carribean has very good edge to handle ratio, but vasp stripes are not for everyone, LC200N even with serrarions is not K390 level of edge retention IMHO. Sorry Evil D.

I can't argue with that. It's all in what you prefer though, and with serrations I'm not sure the edge retention is worth the price of a more difficult steel to sharpen. I'm anxiously waiting for some serrated K390 so I can see how that goes. The corrosion resistance is another thing to consider, it's not something I really need but it's definitely convenient. These days I value higher toughness and ease of sharpening over all out edge retention, especially with serrations. Maybe someday we'll see Magnacut in serrations and it'll be all of those things in one badass package.
~David
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Of these four options, I would pick the Military, hands down.

The Military is extremely comfortable in hand and, generally, the blade shape is more useful than the sheepsfoot (my opinion).. plus, I've always preferred PE to SE (again, my opinion). I'll admit, I have never handled a Caribbean.. the neutral handle shape does appear to be very comfortable though and I think I'd like it very much, but with the leaf shaped blade vs. the sheepsfoot blade. I think the Endura is a great knife, but the ergos have never quite done it for me for some reason. I ended up selling the only Endura I've ever had because I never carried it. I do have the Vallotton Lil Sub Hilt.. based on the weight of that thing, I don't even want to imagine how heavy the large version is haha..

So, of the four you list.. the Military would be my recommendation. Of course, the obvious correct answer is that you're going to end up with all four of them! :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I vote Military. To me, it seems the best choice for an all-purpose EDC/utility/camping folder.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My gut says in order: Military, Caribbean (very close 2nd), Endura, distant 4th place Vallotton.

Neither liner locks or comp locks are my favorites, so 1 and 2 could flip flop position on the list. For myself, I would choose Shaman or Manix 2.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001