Comprehensive list of CQI changes...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Comprehensive list of CQI changes...

Post by JMM »

I am looking for a "Comprehensive list of CQI changes...", hence the thread title, I did some basic google and forum searching but I'm not finding it, if it exists can someone point me to it, and if not, what does the group think about putting in some collective brainpower to get one going?
tbdoc4kids

Re: Comprehensive list of CQI changes...

Post by tbdoc4kids »

It would be wonderful to add this info to Spydiewiki, but the number of CQI changes may be overwhelming.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thats a huge task. Somebody should have the lead, like Ramzar at the models coming out...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JMM,

Starting from when? Constant Quality Improvement is constant. as we learn, we implement. I'd love to see such a list. 45 years of CQI. I know many, but I'm sure there are many lost in time. The clip on the first plastic models was changed 3 times (mold changes) before we made a new mold and went to a metal clip. Clip evolution alone were many.

I think it will be fun to watch. We all get to learn.

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 am
Hi JMM,

Starting from when? Constant Quality Improvement is constant. as we learn, we implement. I'd love to see such a list. 45 years of CQI. I know many, but I'm sure there are many lost in time. The clip on the first plastic models was changed 3 times (mold changes) before we made a new mold and went to a metal clip. Clip evolution alone were many.

sal
I didn't have a particular "start date" in mind, I guess my initial thought would be to start from current and work backwards as the information was acquired, digested, compiled, disseminated, catalogued, etc, etc...

I most definitely agree that this is not a trivial undertaking and one that should be treated lightly, sooooo.... who among us wishes to be the lead for such an undertaking? Please, don't be shy, raise your hand up folks if you are interested in undertaking this gargantuan task.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are probably a huge amount of changes that we users haven't even noticed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Good luck. They've always been a lot better at making improvements than at documenting changes.
There is a thread on the Police Model here somewhere that might give you an inkling of what you are looking at. I have a large Spyderpak filled with C07 variations and I know there are at least that many more just for that one model. And that doesn't include things like "We found that if we changed the angle of the front of the lock bar by 2 degrees it increased the lifespan of the lock by 6%, so we made the change" improvements.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Well, I'll start off by saying, even though I can't see it, The Chaparral apparently added a bevel to the lock bar.

Bevel:
Non Bevel:
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 am
Hi JMM,

sal
How about starting now! What if there was a pinned topic here that had notes on new cqi changes as they went out! Sort of a “knife patch notes” :)
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I love the idea, but acknowledge the difficulty of the process. Some CQI are well known and discussed, others are hidden and known only to Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
A comprehensive list of CQI changes would be an awesome thing. I think it's something that nearly everyone can contribute to. I'll put some thought into how to best compile the information.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:48 am
Hey, everyone:
A comprehensive list of CQI changes would be an awesome thing. I think it's something that nearly everyone can contribute to. I'll put some thought into how to best compile the information.

Kristi
Excellent, thank you.

If you could sticky this thread it would be great.

Also, it would be useful to know dates of CQI changes (I suppose by production batch).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would suggest starting with the most popular current models, and then working your way back in time and outward to less popular models. So for example, The Native 5 (started with liners, went linerless, went from S35VN to S30V, etc). No Need to get into prior Native models right now. I'd be most interested in things like what have been all of the CQI changes to the current Military, Chap LW, current Seki models, etc. Like how the current Salts now have coated lockbars and screws.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am pretty sure that most changes would not be related to actual design changes, but rather process changes to get certain steps done faster/cheaper/with less variation etc. The CQIs many of us might be interested in would be design changes (like putting a bushing in a pivot, changing back-lock spring tension, grind or HT changes , etc). Maybe those would not be so crazy many as to make them impossible to document.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
sal

Post by sal »

We made adjustable pivots that would work for linerlock wear. We didn't want to use different sized stop pins as it changes the tip location. Then we disoco'd the adjustable pivot and improved the tolerances and materials. A + CQI, then a - CQI. Is that 2?

sal
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 pm
We made adjustable pivots that would work for linerlock wear. We didn't want to use different sized stop pins as it changes the tip location. Then we disoco'd the adjustable pivot and improved the tolerances and materials. A + CQI, then a - CQI. Is that 2?

sal
Yes, and it is another example of how many changes there have been, most of which we haven’t noticed.