Seki Sprint Revival

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zive

Seki Sprint Revival

Post by Zive »

Today I watched a Super Blue Delica get bid up to $400 (before shipping fees) on a certain auction site. I believe that’s something like 500% of the MAP for that knife...

I was not a bidder and am not upset by the astronomical price the knife sold for, but seeing the sale price made me reflect on the pent up demand for earlier Seki Sprints in steels like Super Blue, Hap40, etc..

In the years since these sprints were released the Seki family has grown to include models like the Endela, SSS, Delica Wharncliffe, and Dragonfly Wharncliffe. Would it be possible for these newer models to be run in earlier sprint configurations? It seems like the market for something like a Super Blue Delica Wharncliffe would be strong.

Interested in people’s thoughts, and of course, what Sal has to say about this idea.
tbdoc4kids

Re: Seki Sprint Revival

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I would love to see the Endela in Super Blue. It would also be nice to see it in Super Gold 2.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Super Gold is one of the steels that I'm itching to try -- would love to see a sprint in almost anything, although I think a Dragonfly would be preferred.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would think the Endela, Stretch 2 and Police 4 would be fair game for Spyderco to release in Superblue and HAP40. They would sell out quicker than the original drop years ago and most here would want these versions.
Zive

Post by Zive »

I think you’re probably right, Dan.

Even though KC has made HAP40 more accessible in some models I know that many people have stayed away because the pakkawood versions are significantly heavier and don’t offer much traction in use (not to mention their increased price).
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I would definitely like to see another run of knives in Super Blue and Super Gold.

There are new knife collectors everyday, and a number of them weren't collecting when those versions were available. It would be nice to have another run so new collectors have a chance to try out the steels.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Given the issues I have with the cruwear dfly exclusive, I won’t ever be buying a seki sprint or exclusive again. I’m just not willing to take that gamble.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Dang, sorry to hear the CF DF2 has left such a bad taste in your mouth. That was a pricey knife so I can understand the frustration.

I think standard lightweight models in FRN are comfortably within Seki’s wheelhouse and they have a solid track record with that configuration. The quality I’ve seen in the K390 Endela and P4 give me confidence that Seki could pull off some nice FRN sprints.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Rinzler wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:11 am
Given the issues I have with the cruwear dfly exclusive, I won’t ever be buying a seki sprint or exclusive again. I’m just not willing to take that gamble.
I think you’re pretty safe with FRN exclusives, Seki does a great job with those. It just seems like Seki has struggled a little with QC on CF handles (looking at this dragonfly or the fradon lock delica from a couple years ago).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:22 am
Rinzler wrote:
I think you’re pretty safe with FRN exclusives, Seki does a great job with those. It just seems like Seki has struggled a little with QC on CF handles (looking at this dragonfly or the fradon lock delica from a couple years ago).
Agree! I have several Delica sprints and exclusives and no issues with any of them. Not just FRN ones either. I have the SNK G10 Delica, KC Pakkawood Delica (and Dragonfly), and the Fradon Lock CF Delica. Only issue was with the one from Fradon Lock. That had something on the CF that wouldn't come off. I was finally able to clean it with some Goo Gone and it's perfect now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would like to see a run of a FRN SE version of the Cricket in any steel offered.
Last edited by jdw on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I would like to see a Caly 3/3.5 in Super Gold and a D'Allara in K390.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

If made, I would buy a drop point Stretch 2 in SuperBlue, HAP40, SG2, CruWear or any analog... Maybe all of those.

More of a fantasy, from Moki would be a K390 Kris, just like the original, with pinned, bolstered micarta handle.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'll take superblue and supergold, or srs 13 if that sprint ever comes out
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would love to see super blue, super gold, vtoku 2, and hap 40 all done again. All they have to do is change the handle color.
Rinzler wrote:
Frn will be fine. I have several seki frn sprints with no problems.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is not the first time a SB Delica has gone for a crazy amount. It is a great knife and I love mine but there is nothing magical about it. I don’t get it.

The V-toku Delica isn’t that much different but doesn’t get the hype.

I would support a second run, maybe a dealer would do it as an exclusive?

I would buy a “R” or Police4 in super blue myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Zive

Post by Zive »

Out of respect for Spyderco’s sprint policy and collectors I wouldn’t ask for a second run, just a chance to pick up some of the newer members of the Seki family in the earlier sprint configurations.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:13 pm
....I love mine but there is nothing magical about it. I don’t get it.

The V-toku Delica isn’t that much different but doesn’t get the hype.
I don't really get it either. I have the Caly Jr Super Blue and also Delicas with Super Gold and V-Toku. They seem very similar to me. Maybe I'm just not enough of an aficionado to be able distinguish these minute differences?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

If Spyderco just settled for doing periodic sprints of Super Blue and V Toku, I'd be more than happy. No need for any other steels. Plus it would help saturate the market and neutralize the ebay flippers.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Zive wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:03 pm
Today I watched a Super Blue Delica get bid up to $400 (before shipping fees) on a certain auction site. I believe that’s something like 500% of the MAP for that knife...
I'm wondering if stimulus money could be driving this. I know the supply chain is still slow, but it seems like a lot of things are disappearing quickly and other things are selling at higher than usual pricing.

Yes, I'd like to see more FRN Hap40.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!