Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Post by Wartstein »

[Edit: I was told just right now, that the S35VN Tenacious is not even available in the US yet. I was sure it already is, since it even popped up in European stores already. But so it does not get "overlooked" but just not many people had the chance to get one... this thread would be a bit obsolete then :o ]

I can´t recall reading any real reviews or real-life-impressions of the S35 VN Tenacious LW here...

- I wonder why this is..?! Just cause of "China"? Presumed "lesser" fit and finish? Still too pricey for some (the jump in price from 8CR to S35VN too big?)?
- And I am actually more and more thinking about getting one myself - it has so much going for it!
- DOES anyone actually have one and can talk about its fit and finish and how the Chinese factory does the S35VN (I really liked the steel on my (US) Native 5 LW)

Said it in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89241):
I know that especially US folks sometimes hesitate to get "made in China"-stuff, but aside from that: The Tenacious in a "better" than 8CR steel has some great features:

- The "edge all the way to the handle" design that more people seem to like nowadays
- An almost Endura-cutting edge length in a handle that is just 3mm (0.12") longer than a Delica
- Chamfered, wide, comfortable handle
- Not too thick (Endura-ish) blade stock
- And is one of the view "higher end" (here: concerning the steel) Spydercos with a linerlock - in some aspects still the best lock for me, and especially when it comes to operation in the outdoors or harsher environments generally.
- S35VN is a perfectly balanced EDC steels imho, in theory even better than S30V for me (though I could not tell any difference to be honest).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Re: Who has the S35VN Tenacious LW? Does it get overlooked and if,WHY?!

Post by skeeg11 »

IMHO and limited experience, Sal has removed any concerns I have regarding the fit and finish of his Chinese knives. Sal has done all the work of making sure they pass his standard of excellence and some of the designs have their own appeal like the Astute. Choice of steel is a different thing and I'm sure that Spyderco will be following this quite closely. I guess the question is, "Will it be worthwhile to get his Chinese Manufactures to work with better steels that the American public is aware of or stick with Chinese steels. They actually do have some domestic steels that are decent but we Americans are pretty much unaware of.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:18 am
IMHO and limited experience, Sal has removed any concerns I have regarding the fit and finish of his Chinese knives. Sal has done all the work of making sure they pass his standard of excellence and some of the designs have their own appeal like the Astute. Choice of steel is a different thing and I'm sure that Spyderco will be following this quite closely. I guess the question is, "Will it be worthwhile to get his Chinese Manufactures to work with better steels that the American public is aware of or stick with Chinese steels. They actually do have some domestic steels that are decent but we Americans are pretty much unaware of.

Interesting point!
And I as an European am most likely unaware of these steels too.. :)

/ Something tells me I should try this particular Tenacious - actually, I am one of those who totally overlooked it (the S35VN version) too, but as said: If I am honest too myself, it has very many of the features I really like in a folder, and actually not one I DON`T like... I even really like the blue color.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hi Wartstein.

I would get one!
I have the standard lightweight and I like it.
It replaced my Endura. It similar in length but has a wider stock which is better for food cutting.

Ergos are very good.

It's a value folder which by definition is different from premium ones. Weight, design, materials. But if the told its made in Golden I would believe them.

It's NOT a chinese gas station knive!!!

S35V is similar to S30V, a steel made for knives, but better to machine by the manufacturer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:47 am
Hi Wartstein.

I would get one!
I have the standard lightweight and I like it.
It replaced my Endura. It similar in length but has a wider stock which is better for food cutting.

Ergos are very good.

It's a value folder which by definition is different from premium ones. Weight, design, materials. But if the told its made in Golden I would believe them.

It's NOT a chinese gas station knive!!!

S35V is similar to S30V, a steel made for knives, but better to machine by the manufacturer.
Thanks, valuable info! :)

- Yes, I know both S30V and S35VN, could not tell any difference in my use, so both perfect knife steels.
- The Tenacious actually has almost an Endura cutting edge, but is a lot shorter in carry

On "value-folder" / "weight, design, materials"
- It weighs exactly the same as the Stretch 2 (105 grams / 3.7 oz) and I guess the PM2, just a bit more than an Endura (96 grams / 3.4 oz)
- Materials: Well, chamfered FRN and a good steel
- Design: It looks like a perfect design with great ergos..

So: If fit and finish is good, there is not much "only value folder" left, right?!

Endura 96 / 3.4
Stretch 2 105 / 3.7
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

You managed to convince me: you should buy one. ASAP. No doubt about it. :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

If I could ever find one in stock, I would definitely try it. Been looking for awhile. Shipping down here is a challenge so usually go with BladeHQ or DLT because they offer several shipping options but neither has them in stock at the moment.
Jared

Post by Jared »

I haven’t seen one in stock or I would have at least considered getting one. The Tenacious is pretty much the only Spyderco that’s consistently on those lists of “best Spyderco knives” that I don’t own one.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

It’s all about China for me. I avoid anything made there at all costs. Admittedly, that’s hard to do.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

One in my pocket right now actually:
PXL_20210403_122605635_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Fit and finish are solid. Centering is dead on, tiny bit overtightened pivot out of the box, tweaked it a little, perfect action, no play. Lock up started a little earlier than most Spyderco fram/liner locks I've had, but settled into 40%, which for me is optimum.

The finish on the S35VN is a little more polished than my S35VN Native, but the grind is good and even. It wasn't as sharp out of box as some of my other :spyder: 's, it a few passes on the fine rods fixed that up quick. It has performed no different on cardboard and zip-ties than my Native in that regard so far.

One improvement, over my original Tenacious, and this could be me, but I found the screws to strip less, I must have stripped 2-3 sets of clip screws on my original changing a bent/broken clip, but YMMV.

I see a lot of comments on some other interwebs places, which say "I can get a [INSERT CHINESE KNIFE BRAND] with S35VN with G10" for a little less money." So that has certainly had somewhat of an effect on some people's perceptions of it.

Conversely, and I think as others said in the original "S35VN Tenacious: What does it mean?" Thread, that it's not just the materials, but for me it's the company and the knife's design. I really like the form and function of the tenacious, it really works ergonomically for me. I've also come to like Spyderco's FRN more in recent years on my users, compared to G10. I trust Spyderco's QC, would buy a chinese made S35VN blade from them over any other company, who may have good QC but not the track record.

Plus it's rotal blue, the color of the New York Giants so I'm a sucker for that. :o
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

There are probably a lot of folks waiting for this one to drop. This new s35vn version is quite attractive, as the knife is already known to be a good solid workhorse - albeit the steel just needed sharpened frequently if used a lot.

For pocket carry I prefer a backlock, as pocket carry for me means clipless/loose in the pocket. For more outdoors type tasks I do like a little larger knife and a liner lock is easier to deploy/use. While I like the Military, this new Tenacious checks off quite a few boxes. Fills the hand, has over 3.25 inch cutting length in a more compact/efficient design, has open back for debris pass through and ease of cleaning, has a steel that can be used for a while, retain its edge and be tough enough to handle some moderate abuse.

Looks good, waiting for its release here. Glad to see it is finally getting into folks hands. Nice photos and review Lumpy620
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 am
There are probably a lot of folks waiting for this one to drop. This new s35vn version is quite attractive, as the knife is already known to be a good solid workhorse - albeit the steel just needed sharpened frequently if used a lot.

For pocket carry I prefer a backlock, as pocket carry for me means clipless/loose in the pocket. For more outdoors type tasks I do like a little larger knife and a liner lock is easier to deploy/use. While I like the Military, this new Tenacious checks off quite a few boxes. Fills the hand, has over 3.25 inch cutting length in a more compact/efficient design, has open back for debris pass through and ease of cleaning, has a steel that can be used for a while, retain its edge and be tough enough to handle some moderate abuse.

Looks good, waiting for its release here. Glad to see it is finally getting into folks hands. Nice photos and review Lumpy620
Now I am a bit confused: It has been available even in Europe already (at the moment not anymore though) - where do you live?!

/ And I agree on pretty much all of your points! :)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Still not available here in the US. Soon, hopefully
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:15 am
Still not available here in the US. Soon, hopefully
Really?!

Well, that makes my whole thread a bit obsolete... :o
I was 100% certain the knife would be already available in the US, since it even popped up in European stores... but if not so: Of course there are no reviews and impressions of it on this forum
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sometimes spydies get released first to Europe. I will probably get one once they are available here. Maybe you should take the plunge and buy one and write a review for us?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll be buying as soon as I can find one in stock. It is at the top of my list. Really excited for this one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 am
Sometimes spydies get released first to Europe. I will probably get one once they are available here. Maybe you should take the plunge and buy one and write a review for us?
💯👍
Zive

Post by Zive »

Will have to wait and see how it’s received in the North American market, but it’s worth pointing out that it’s the most expensive “value folder” (at least that I’m aware of) and overlaps in price with some non-value models. Granted, the non-value pieces are mostly in S30V or VG-10 but an S110V UKPK is $14 more, roughly similar in size, and USA made. There’s a lot of competition at that price point.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zive wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:10 am
Will have to wait and see how it’s received in the North American market, but it’s worth pointing out that it’s the most expensive “value folder” (at least that I’m aware of) and overlaps in price with some non-value models. Granted, the non-value pieces are mostly in S30V or VG-10 but an S110V UKPK is $14 more, roughly similar in size, and USA made. There’s a lot of competition at that price point.

Sure, "made in China" should generally mean cheaper than "made in the US".

But other than that: As long as fit and finish aee good (and I am sure they are and don´t mind details like perfect centering not at all anyway), there is not much "just value" on the Tenacious LW S35VN, right? Good steel, I assume the usual (very good) FRN, solid built, liners, prooven, great ergos... and the linerlock could even be a plus in this case, since there just are not too many higher end Spydies (concerning steel) with this actually great locktype...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
M Sea wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
💯👍
Nice try... and perhaps I really should ;) (it seems we in Europe don´t get the chance too often to review knives for our American friends before they get the models in their hands anyway...)

But if I do: Spyderco swap, I am coming!! :D (One of my current knives would have to go then)

I´ll look if I still can find one, and if so, make a final decision. ;)