Finally got a Chap!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Finally got a Chap!

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Thanks to Wartstein and his constant high praise of the Chaparral I finally gave in. It looks amazing in hand. The quality of finish is top notch. I love how the lock bar is beveled at the cutout. I had never seen that in pictures so it was a surprise. I haven't done any testing yet but with it's thin blade stock it should be an awesome slicer.
Attachments
20210401_105202_crop_13.jpg
20210401_105319~2.jpg
$_57 (1).jpeg
Wartstein

Re: Finally got a Chap!

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:07 am
Thanks to Wartstein and his constant high praise of the Chaparral.....

:) :) :)

Great! I'm sure you won't regret it!
Now use it, and use it hard (for a pocket knife...), should need be...The Chap will take it and also outslice most other folders.
Can't wait for your thougts after some use...:)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Congrats! It’s a classic for good reason!
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Congrats. I have the birdseye maple chap and it’s one of my favorites. Not really as great of a value as the FRN chap though. The FRN version is definitely one of the best values in the Spyderco lineup.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thanks to Wartstein and his constant high praise of the Chaparral I finally gave in. It looks amazing in hand. The quality of finish is top notch. I love how the lock bar is beveled at the cutout. I had never seen that in pictures so it was a surprise. I haven't done any testing yet but with it's thin blade stock it should be an awesome slicer.
I am also a proud new Chap father!! Awesome little knives. Absolutely love it!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thanks to Wartstein and his constant high praise of the Chaparral I finally gave in. It looks amazing in hand. The quality of finish is top notch.I love how the lock bar is beveled at the cutout. I had never seen that in pictures so it was a surprise. I haven't done any testing yet but with it's thin blade stock it should be an awesome slicer.
My Sun/Moon Chap lockbar wasn’t beveled. I did it myself. Doesn’t look as good as yours though. I wonder if that’s a CQI upgrade?
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Great choice! My favorite pocket knife. Very capable, and a great slicer.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

PStone wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thanks to Wartstein and his constant high praise of the Chaparral I finally gave in. It looks amazing in hand. The quality of finish is top notch.I love how the lock bar is beveled at the cutout. I had never seen that in pictures so it was a surprise. I haven't done any testing yet but with it's thin blade stock it should be an awesome slicer.
My Sun/Moon Chap lockbar wasn’t beveled. I did it myself. Doesn’t look as good as yours though. I wonder if that’s a CQI upgrade?

I think it is a CQI update. My birdseye chap has that beveled lock bar as well.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

PStone wrote:

Yeah it's done very cleanly.

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Any idea of other changes in the cqi updates?
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I am loving my frn Chap so far, I think you will too.
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

Sounds great! How many little knives do you have?
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Raffir Noble one I got a few weeks ago has the bevel.
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

Congrats. It's hard to go wrong with this thin, light workhorse.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Left the Outlet today with one of my own. Really liking it but not sure I know what you mean by the lockbar being beveled? I guess when I think of bevel I'm thinking of a Boye Dent like on the Dragonfly.

PStone

Post by PStone »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:24 pm
PStone wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the case.
yowzer wrote:The Raffir Noble one I got a few weeks ago has the bevel.
This is good to know. I may be looking for this one next payday. What dealer did you get it from?
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I am glad to hear about the chamfered lock bar. That is a welcome change!
CalRob

Post by CalRob »

My sun and moon chap is my sliciest knife. It’s so small, yet it handles everything I need on a day to day basis. My action is really stiff though, doesn’t flick open, and won’t drop shut. I know this is the nature of the back lock, but Mine realllllly stiff.

I’ve seen plenty videos of the FRN chap, and I feel the action is a but more smooth.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We need Chaps in colors! Pink for my wife, please. Olive Drab for me, but the current grey is good too. That coyote tan like the Urban got is a good color.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Congratulations on an excellent pickup! The Chap was the model that truly sold me on Spyderco knives.
Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Sage 5 LW, Slysz Bowie, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am
:) :) :)

Great! I'm sure you won't regret it!
Now use it, and use it hard (for a pocket knife...), should need be...The Chap will take it and also outslice most other folders.
Can't wait for your thoughts after some use...:)
I'll try and write up a small review after some use. There's definitely something special about these thin blades.

z1r wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:04 pm
Left the Outlet today with one of my own. Really liking it but not sure I know what you mean by the lockbar being beveled? I guess when I think of bevel I'm thinking of a Boye Dent like on the Dragonfly.

It doesn't look like yours has the beveling. If you look at my second picture the light is reflecting off the bevels.
Doc Dan wrote: We need Chaps in colors! Pink for my wife, please. Olive Drab for me, but the current grey is good too. That coyote tan like the Urban got is a good color.
I just picked up a Cat for my brother but almost went with the Urban. I'll probably get one for myself to give n690co a try. I seem to have caught the bug.