What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by VashHash »

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Yesterday I was carrying my Salt 2/Wharncliffe at work.

Most of my co-workers carry razor knives and I watch them slash away at the thin sheets of material we cut from rolls. The nearly 3" edge on the Salt 2 is able to make longer, smoother cuts. (Their work looks like a beaver chewed the material in half when they're done slashing at it.) The tip on the Wharncliffe is perfect for separating the backing paper from thin film adhesive. I even used the spine of the blade to separate the backing from a long strip of the adhesive, something a razor knife blade is too short to do with the material flat on a table.

I don't think the adhesives will affect LC200N despite the steel and FRN getting gummed up a bit. Time will tell.
z1r

Post by z1r »

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

03EC7B5E-4B7D-4DDF-ADDF-CB4957D4D9FE.jpeg
A3B04D02-6DEA-42E0-A036-472CC2B15EED.jpeg
JMM

Post by JMM »

:)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Such a great blade on this knife, always a pleasure to carry!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Beginning of week 2, and the blood debt has been paid ! Closed it a little too fast and not looking while getting a customer something, and it slipped right through the tip of my thumb.
It is mine in earnest now :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Actually posted the pic in this thread already viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256#p1508736

But since my new Salt is still in my pocket and I really like it a lot, I may put it here too...

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

u.w.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Native 5 Combo Edge. I'm normally a PE or SE, NOT combo edge guy, but this factory second (bought during last Dec.'s sale along with the Para 3) has grown on me immensely.

I'm going to get a PE version, but can't decide between SPY-27 and S110V.

https://brickset.com/reviews/59820
Attachments
KIMG1593.JPG
Last edited by cody6268 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am
Yesterday I was carrying my Salt 2/Wharncliffe at work.

Most of my co-workers carry razor knives and I watch them slash away at the thin sheets of material we cut from rolls. The nearly 3" edge on the Salt 2 is able to make longer, smoother cuts. (Their work looks like a beaver chewed the material in half when they're done slashing at it.) The tip on the Wharncliffe is perfect for separating the backing paper from thin film adhesive. I even used the spine of the blade to separate the backing from a long strip of the adhesive, something a razor knife blade is too short to do with the material flat on a table.

I don't think the adhesives will affect LC200N despite the steel and FRN getting gummed up a bit. Time will tell.

Aside from jobs that are super-abrasive, and mildly abusive, I still don't get razor knives (even though I own several different ones and several types of Lenox blades). Most of them are bigger and heavier than the knives I typically carry, and all but the Gerber EAB (which uses almost all the length of a standard utility blade) have blades that are shorter than any knife their size. While I use them a lot, I mostly use them in place of a craft knife for their sharp tips.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm
Yep! Been hunting one for awhile. I had the recent Calypso Jr Sprint run, but sold it for a few reasons (tad small, pinned pivot). I liked how the Super Blue steel responded in sharpening - as you say, not the king of wear resistance but sooo easy to bring back.

I also picked up a SB Endura (before I got the Caly 3.5). Not sure yet if I'm going to keep it or not.
Congrats on the double goodness of acquiring a pair of Superblues, Connor!

These days, I tend to rate steels simply by the pleasure and enjoyment they give in usage and sharpening or learning new things, and Aogami Super has always been high in that regard for me.

That Endura is a nice platform for SB, with that longish blade in thin bladestock. I really like my HAP40 Endura, but I don’t use it as much as I probably should.

I always thought the HAP40 Caly 3.5 was one of the best Spydies that never reached production.
vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm
I've been very pleased with the factory edge. I know someday I'll thin it out, but since I started carrying it all its needed is two quick stropping sessions with 40 micron diamond paste to maintain an aggressively shaving apex.
Nice one, Vivi. I’ve been using my thinned out REX Chief at work this week and it’s such a great cutter.

But I got the final piece of my Superblue Stretch project in the mail yesterday, so that one’s back in the pocket today:
4ABC66CA-BE06-4A51-86A9-BCC3B8A26B15.jpeg
Contoured burlap micarta scales, blue ano’d Lynch clip and edge at 9 dps. I crowned and polished the spine, for handling comfort and to accentuate the cool lamination patina line. Lapped and polished the washers and all the bearing surfaces in the action and pivot. Reversed all the handle screws too, so it’s fully ‘leftified’. ;) :)
Last edited by Cambertree on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wow! That Stretch looks great, Cambertree!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those scales look quite comfortable, and I'm sure that edge will be a great performer.
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:12 pm
Beginning of week 2, and the blood debt has been paid ! Closed it a little too fast and not looking while getting a customer something, and it slipped right through the tip of my thumb.
It is mine in earnest now :D
I wonder how many tiny scars just like that the average forum member has... ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm
Actually posted the pic in this thread already viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256#p1508736

But since my new Salt is still in my pocket and I really like it a lot, I may put it here too...

Congrats, W! You finally got your dream knife (or very close to it, right??).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm
But I got the final piece of my Superblue Stretch project in the mail yesterday, so that one’s back in the pocket today:

A845AAB6-AFFF-480A-AAEB-02B0B709299A.jpeg

Contoured burlap micarta scales, blue ano’d Lynch clip and edge at 9 dps. I crowned and polished the spine, for handling comfort and to accentuate the cool lamination patina line. Lapped and polished the washers and all the bearing surfaces in the action and pivot. Reversed all the handle screws too, so it’s fully ‘leftified’. ;) :)

Very nice! :) (Except the deep carry clip for me ;), but this is totally subjective of course)

I am glad that I actually have more than one Stretch 1 myself, so that some day I can give some of these perhaps best folders ever scales "inspired by Cambertree" (and, to be fair: OF COURSE by Paul / "the Deacon" and his amazing Stretch collection (wooden scales... :rolleyes: )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm

Congrats, W! You finally got your dream knife (or very close to it, right??).

Thanks, Julia! :)

You´re actually right... kind of... ;)

This just can´t be my overall absolute dream knife, since it is too small for that.
But IT IS really a dream to have such an amazing performer (one of the few small folders with reasonable thin stock but still strong blade), tiny and superlight in carry, but still offering a cutting edge not too far from the one of the Manix (in my particular pieces the Salt edge is closer to the Manix edge than the Spyderco specs say. Will have to take exact measurements. As said, in an ultralight hiking knife a not too short edge comes in handy, especially for the occasional food prep outdoors)

My perfect overall dream knife would be a serrated Endura ffg in VG10 I guess... but both the K390 Endura SE AND the Pac Salt 2 ffg SE come VERY close, and I most likely will get both.
With the Pac Salt I just want to make sure I´ll get a perfect, blade play free piece, since this will become my most carried folder I think
And K390 in SE: Very interesting, but perhaps also a bit of a hassle to sharpen?!? In SE VG10 would be perfectly fine with me, and has actually a pretty good edge retention.