Ok received my caly 3.5. Some issues though

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Ok received my caly 3.5. Some issues though

Post by Doc Dan »

I never thought of ZDP as "easy" to sharpen. Hahaha! It is not as bad as S110V though, for a fact. Plus, it can be done on regular stones, but it takes a while, at least for me.

I have two knives in ZDP-189 and neither have rusted. I have a Caly3 and a Nishijin Dragonfly. Overall, it is a nice steel. It will take a wicked edge, I mean really wicked, but if it gets dull it is a chore to get back. The best option is to never let it get dull.

If you have any sharpening tips, I'm all ears. Light an easy for sure. Anything else?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 am
I never thought of ZDP as "easy" to sharpen. Hahaha! It is not as bad as S110V though, for a fact. Plus, it can be done on regular stones, but it takes a while, at least for me.

I have two knives in ZDP-189 and neither have rusted. I have a Caly3 and a Nishijin Dragonfly. Overall, it is a nice steel. It will take a wicked edge, I mean really wicked, but if it gets dull it is a chore to get back. The best option is to never let it get dull.

If you have any sharpening tips, I'm all ears. Light an easy for sure. Anything else?

I just have the one ZDP Delica but I really enjoy sharpening it and seem to have found a way to keep a good edge on it. In my opinion, diamond stones are a must have for this steel. To prevent any issues with burrs, I recommend ending each grit with lots of alternating passes on the stone before moving on the the next finest. 1200-1500 grit seems to be a good place to end for this steel. I strop with diamond solution for a bit to finish it off, alternating strokes again.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

If it worries you just use some small pieces of sandpaper to smooth and clean off those surfaces. 800 to 1200 grit would do it.

ZDP189 is a great steel in my opinion and the Caly 3.5 is a superb, underrated model.

I really like the fine edge it takes and it holds it very well.

Patience, correct abrasives and a light touch with your finishing pressure is key.

My ZDP189 Dragonfly is probably my most used Spyderco model.
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

Rust on a new knife would bother me too, but then I can even stand fingerprints on my blades!