Keychain Knives Suggestion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Keychain Knives Suggestion

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder what the reason is for not including a nice high quality stainless steel split ring for the keychain knives? I just picked up a handful of Manbugs and Ladybugs from DLT for my keychains and would have loved some nice split rings to be included. I have plenty...somewhere...but I am remodeling my garage all of my stuff is a jumbled mess in my basement at the moment. :( But I am sure most people don't have an assortment of split rings laying around the house so including one would be nice.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SG89

Re: Keychain Knives Suggestion

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

You can get nice ones in stainless from any decent fishing tackle store, all different sizes for lures and rigs.
Can get black coated ones too, 6 or 12 in a pack for only a few bones.
Very small marine grade D shackles would work well too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I know you can buy them. :D

My point was Spyderco could probably get them in bulk for under $0.10 each for a high quality stainless ring, so why not include one so people don't have to track one down?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

No idea why they aren't included, but you can get 100 for $5 shipped all day on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sp ... 4084.l1313

I ordered a bunch of those and some mini-carabiners for clipping lights and small multitools to my left pocket.
:unicorn
z1r

Post by z1r »

I imagine that despite being keychain knives, the majority never get attached to a keyring. My wife's does, mine don't.
PStone

Post by PStone »

When it comes to split rings, I usually rob Peter to pay Paul. I’m always taking from another knife when I need one. Especially those little ones that come on SAKs. I would love to see the addition of a small ring included.

Also, a little off topic...
I love my stainless clipitool, but don’t keyring carry because it doesn’t offer a tip down option. I’d love to use a small knife as a key hanger at the top of my pocket. Instead of riding at the bottom of my pocket. Currently I use dedicated hangers but love the idea of using a Spyderco instead. That’s another option we need in a small keychain knife. Tip down clip.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have my keys on a split ring and attached to a Ti clip(moved since this photo) I can attach to a pocket or belt loop. I have the the knife on a Ti, ring attached to the split ring so it's easier to swap or remove and so it hangs flat in my pocket.

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd rather have something that allows me to easily remove the knife from my keyring, but still securely holds it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

StuntZombie wrote: I'd rather have something that allows me to easily remove the knife from my keyring, but still securely holds it.
S-biner.

Nite Ize Size-1 S-Biner Dual Carabiner, Stainless-Steel, Black, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZNZZI/re ... V30G1RM8C4

*I am not affiliated with the link, so I hope this doesn’t go against the guidelines. Mrs. Kristi please feel free to edit this if you see fit.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

JakeXman wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:52 pm
StuntZombie wrote: I'd rather have something that allows me to easily remove the knife from my keyring, but still securely holds it.
S-biner.

Nite Ize Size-1 S-Biner Dual Carabiner, Stainless-Steel, Black, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZNZZI/re ... V30G1RM8C4

*I am not affiliated with the link, so I hope this doesn’t go against the guidelines. Mrs. Kristi please feel free to edit this if you see fit.
I actually bought a pack of S-biners to try, but they were too small. Perhaps I just got the wrong size. Those do look like they might be a bit larger. Thanks for the link!
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
vivi

Post by vivi »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:47 pm
I'd rather have something that allows me to easily remove the knife from my keyring, but still securely holds it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Mini-EDC ... Sw2w5gDYFl

I use these mini carbiners. I carry my EDC flashlight with one, and use another for pocket carrying my Street Beat.
:unicorn
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

StuntZombie, you’re welcome! That’s the size I use for my car keys but I don’t have a lady/manbug to test it out with. It certainly doesn’t fit my Tasman salt. The link I attached is their smallest size, so maybe moving up to the #2 would give you some wiggle room?

Vivi, I like the look of those, when I eventually pick up a smaller knife I’ll give those a try, thanks!
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use a kydex sheath for my ladybug. The sheath is directly connected to my key ring, so the knife can be pulled out of the kydex (so that it's totally free of the keys) or put in (to attach it to the keys).

Danke

Post by Danke »

It's pretty easy to remove the knife on the ring that I use. Here's an example.

Out of stock now but they usually make a batch a couple times a year.

https://countycomm.com/products/live-ti ... 147f&_ss=r
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had my keys on a titanium split ring I got off Amazon probably 10 years ago. They come in all sorts of sizes. I'd go that route, but really the best setup for a Ladybug is making a double ended noose knot like this:

That gives you just a wee bit of space to grip with your pinky, and it hangs with the rest of your keys better and doesn't clump up like it does on a split ring.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I don't like directly attaching to the lanyard hole with an s-biner, feels like I'm wearing away the frn. SS split rings are cheap enough that I buy them a dozen at a time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 am
I don't like directly attaching to the lanyard hole with an s-biner, feels like I'm wearing away the frn. SS split rings are cheap enough that I buy them a dozen at a time.

I lost my hawkbill Ladybug from one of those little S-biners. I don't use them anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 am
Same. The knives in the above pic have the s-biners attached but that was just for the pic. When I actually take the knife off my keys I leave the s-biner on my key ring and just take the knife off.

I have a large split ring loaded up with every split ring I have acquired from different places. I have all sorts of sizes and I couldn’t tell you where most of them came from. I figured everybody had a bunch of extras laying around.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?