Ok received my caly 3.5. Some issues though

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Ok received my caly 3.5. Some issues though

Post by Eliteone2383 »

The inner lining looks to be rusted and the inside of the spider hole looks to be developing rust. This knife was bought from cutlery shoppe brand new. Tell me from the pics what you guys think please.
20210330_152538.jpg
20210330_150403.jpg
20210330_150311.jpg
Stay sharp!
TomAiello

Re: Ok received my caly 3.5. Some issues though

Post by TomAiello »

Are you going to use it, or is it a collection item?

If it's a user, I'd just clean that off and put it in my pocket. If I was a collector, I'd probably return it.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its a laminated steel. The inside layer is going to have a different color.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:39 pm
Its a laminated steel. The inside layer is going to have a different color.
Ok but the liner is rusted to the point it looks as if metal is about to start peeling. I dont know if you can see it in the pics. I'll try to see if I can capture it better.
Stay sharp!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Rust? Where? :confused:

Haha I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see any in those pictures..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

20210330_154603.jpg
Stay sharp!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ok, so this is pic 3, zoomed in? Looks to me like that's just the unfinished interior surface of the lockbar.. I don't see anything to be concerned with here, corrosion-wise..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:02 pm
Ok, so this is pic 3, zoomed in? Looks to me like that's just the unfinished interior surface of the lockbar.. I don't see anything to be concerned with here, corrosion-wise..
Ok. I didn't want to make a thread but I pmd a member here and was told I should so I did. If you say it's Nothing then I'll take you at your word.
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:07 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Ok. I didn't want to make a thread but I pmd a member here and was told I should so I did. If you say it's Nothing then I'll take you at your word.

Actually the member Eliteone pmd and who said it would be a good idea to ask this question in the forum is me... ;)

Elitone, again, I think it is perfectly fine to start a thread if you have any questions or concerns! Imho this is a big part of what this forum is here for, and many will be glad to help you out.
Quite often something one member asks about, might be a question others have too, but never asked. And in most cases some forum members or also guests can learn something from the comments in such a thread anyway.. :)

/ I´ll have to look at your pics at home on my laptop. Can´t see any problem when using my smartphone for this.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:36 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:07 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Actually the member Eliteone pmd and who said it would be a good idea to ask this question in the forum is me... ;)

Elitone, again, I think it is perfectly fine to start a thread if you have any questions or concerns! Imho this is a big part of what this forum is here for, and many will be glad to help you out.
Quite often something one member asks about, might be a question others have too, but never asked. And in most cases some forum members or also guests can learn something from the comments in such a thread anyway.. :)

/ I´ll have to look at your pics at home on my laptop. Can´t see any problem when using my smartphone for this.
Thank you Sir. I appreciate it :)
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:48 pm
20210330_154603.jpg

In the three pics in your first post I actually can´t see any rust, even on my laptop (does not mean there is none, perhaps the pics are just too blurry- hard to get a focus when taking pics at such a close distance).
Now on this magnification it could be a bit of corrosion is to be seen. Not sure though.

Anyway: Honestly nothing I´d be worried about at all. ZDP just will take on some discoloration I guess if not totally babied and perfectly stored (and this Caly will have sat in the store for a long time I figure).
For me this slight changes in looks are even one of the great things of non stainless steels - gives them life and character! :)

But keep in mind: I am not a steel expert at all, many others here are though and might chime in as well.

/ How do you generally like then Caly 3.5?! I never had one, but it is a design I definitely want to try! It is a perfect example for a great "edge to handle length ratio knife", that still features a choil.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
swigert

Post by swigert »

I don’t see anything. Use away!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks to me like the hole was just burnt when they cut it. I think the other places are burn marks from overly aggressive grinding and not well finished. If you got it from Cutlery Shoppe, Jeff is great to work with so you can send it back to him if you want.

Personally, if it were me, I'd spray it with some WD-40 and let it sit a bit and then take a Q-tip and see if it rubs off. Then, I'd take some Vaseline and put a light coat on those areas.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm
It looks to me like the hole was just burnt when they cut it. I think the other places are burn marks from overly aggressive grinding and not well finished. If you got it from Cutlery Shoppe, Jeff is great to work with so you can send it back to him if you want.

Personally, if it were me, I'd spray it with some WD-40 and let it sit a bit and then take a Q-tip and see if it rubs off. Then, I'd take some Vaseline and put a light coat on those areas.

That´s one great example for what I meant when I suggested to Eliteone to start a thread about his questions:
Docs points and tips might very well be useful for quite many who read in this forum! And they might never have get aware of one or the other if you (Eliteone) would not have asked what you´re concerned about... :)
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:48 pm
20210330_154603.jpg

In the three pics in your first post I actually can´t see any rust, even on my laptop (does not mean there is none, perhaps the pics are just too blurry- hard to get a focus when taking pics at such a close distance).
Now on this magnification it could be a bit of corrosion is to be seen. Not sure though.

Anyway: Honestly nothing I´d be worried about at all. ZDP just will take on some discoloration I guess if not totally babied and perfectly stored (and this Caly will have sat in the store for a long time I figure).
For me this slight changes in looks are even one of the great things of non stainless steels - gives them life and character! :)

But keep in mind: I am not a steel expert at all, many others here are though and might chime in as well.

/ How do you generally like then Caly 3.5?! I never had one, but it is a design I definitely want to try! It is a perfect example for a great "edge to handle length ratio knife", that still features a choil.
It's a awsome knife in both looks and feel. And out of the box sharpness has actually impressed me. Some other higher end companies should take note (cough crk cough). The blade is among the most attractive blades I've seen. You owe it to yourself to try one :)
Stay sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I made a thread years ago talking about how steels have different colors. I'm pretty sure most people thought I was crazy but ZDP especially has a gold hue to it, and when looking at it in a laminate blade with 420J2 it can easily look like tarnish/patina.

That said I have also had actual rust issues with ZDP so I'd have to see it closer to be sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 am
I made a thread years ago talking about how steels have different colors. I'm pretty sure most people thought I was crazy but ZDP especially has a gold hue to it, and when looking at it in a laminate blade with 420J2 it can easily look like tarnish/patina.

That said I have also had actual rust issues with ZDP so I'd have to see it closer to be sure.
I ordered some frog lube and plan on using it liberally on this particular knife. It honestly might become my favorite knife but I got reviews coming for all my spydies. Just waiting to receive them all. I'm surprised this knife is prone to rusting so easily. 420j from previous experiences holds up against corrosion well especially if wiped down after a days use.
Stay sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:27 am
Evil D wrote:

I ordered some frog lube and plan on using it liberally on this particular knife. It honestly might become my favorite knife but I got reviews coming for all my spydies. Just waiting to receive them all. I'm surprised this knife is prone to rusting so easily. 420j from previous experiences holds up against corrosion well especially if wiped down after a days use.

I never had issues with 420J2, just ZDP itself. My Caly 3 never rusted (it's a laminate) but my ZDP Ladybug did, it's a solid ZDP blade and I carried it on my keys which I carried clipped to my belt and tucked into my back pocket so it was exposed to butt sweat lol.

I absolutely love the Calypso family of knives. My one gripe with them is that it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip of the blade out of the handle when closed. If they'd tweak the handle shape just a bit to enclose the blade more I'd carry/buy/use them a lot more. My Caly 3 was my first higher end Spyderco and my first experience with a steel like ZDP and I credit that knife and steel for teaching me some hard lessons about sharpening.
~David
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:34 am
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:27 am
Evil D wrote:

I never had issues with 420J2, just ZDP itself. My Caly 3 never rusted (it's a laminate) but my ZDP Ladybug did, it's a solid ZDP blade and I carried it on my keys which I carried clipped to my belt and tucked into my back pocket so it was exposed to butt sweat lol.

I absolutely love the Calypso family of knives. My one gripe with them is that it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip of the blade out of the handle when closed. If they'd tweak the handle shape just a bit to enclose the blade more I'd carry/buy/use them a lot more. My Caly 3 was my first higher end Spyderco and my first experience with a steel like ZDP and I credit that knife and steel for teaching me some hard lessons about sharpening.
What about it gave you issues sharpening? I'm actually going to start learning how to sharpen here soon. I've always had my knives professionally sharpened by someone who doesn't use a grinding wheel. We all know that's just a nightmare lol
Stay sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:39 am
What about it gave you issues sharpening? I'm actually going to start learning how to sharpen here soon. I've always had my knives professionally sharpened by someone who doesn't use a grinding wheel. We all know that's just a nightmare lol

It's very unforgiving of burrs and using too much pressure. Some say ZDP is brittle, and I guess compared to some steels that may be kinda true, the edge will fracture out if you use too much pressure and burrs will break off and your edge will dull super fast. It's basically sharpening 101 stuff that you shouldn't be doing with any steel, but ZDP will let you know real quick if you get sloppy. The bright side is it's a fairly easy steel to sharpen if you do it right, considering it's a pretty hard and wear resistant steel. I once reprofiled a ZDP Delica down to about 10 degrees per side and it was a marathon of sharpening.
~David