If you liked X you’ll love Y

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NCC-2893

If you liked X you’ll love Y

Post by NCC-2893 »

I think most people here are chasing some design or utility that causes them to keep searching for the perfect knife that fits that purpose. Some have tried more knives than others, and so I am attempting to tap into that wealth of knowledge. Like the subject of this thread describes, just state: if you liked knife X you’ll love knife Y.

I’ll start. If you liked the Para 3 LW you’ll love the Sage 5 LW. This has been spoken here in other places too. It holds true for me because I think the Sage 5 LE incrementally improves upon much of the Para 3 LW. The skeletonized liners, while heavier, improve on balance and rigidness. The Sage FRN texture and finish don’t feel as cheap.

Your examples don’t necessarily have to be two similar knives, and in fact I would welcome surprisingly different compared knives. I’m hoping to find examples that will lead me to knives that I otherwise would not have considered.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Wartstein

Re: If you liked X you’ll love Y

Post by Wartstein »

This is surprisingly hard for me... actually at the moment I can't really pin two particular single Spydies ("X" and "Y"), but rather particular features:
Like I like the for a long blade a bit thinner ffg blade (3mm) on the Endura, so I like thinner stock for a short ffg blade (2mm on the Chaparral) too.
Or I like a backlock in knife X, and in any other knife ("Y", "Z".. ) too.

Also, your example shows how very subjective this is: If I had a Para 3, I would not like it (for a Spyderco!!), but the Sage 5 for me is just a great small comp. lock knife... so not "I like X, and so I like "Y" too (or even a bit more) for me here..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Spydiechef <-> Drunken
PM2 <-> Straight Spine Stretch <-> Endela
Chaparral <-> Centofante <-> Native 5 LW <-> Sage 5 LW
Native 5 Fluted Ti <-> Military Fluted Ti
Native Salt SE <-> Caribbean Leaf SE
Southard <-> GB2 <-> Caribbean Leaf PE
Swayback <-> Caribbean SF PE
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This seems simple at first but I'm so picky that it doesn't always hold true. Those subtle differences between (as with your example) a Para 3 and Sage 5 really hit me different than it seems to hit others, and it's the small differences like thumb ramp height and spacing between finger grooves that make it or break it for me. Fortunately for me I have grown a pretty good sixth sense about designs and I can usually tell just from pictures if I'll like how a design feels and I've only been wrong a few times.

Anyway a few that I think might work for most people (or at least do for my OCD self):

Tenacious = Caribbean
Stretch = Rock Jumper (if you can live without a choil)
Military = Police 4
Endura = Police 1/SS (kinda obvious)
Delica = Mantra 2
Sage = Chaparral
Lil Temp 3 = Rock Jumper
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Slysz Bowie -> K2

And sorry David but I disagree that you gotta love the Police 4 if you loved the Millie. They are similar in size, but I think very different if you look at their strenghts. The one is a work horse, the other more of a filigree slicer. In my opinion.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

kobold wrote: ...
Swayback <-> Caribbean SF PE
Completely disagree.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 am
Slysz Bowie -> K2

And sorry David but I disagree that you gotta love the Police 4 if you loved the Millie. They are similar in size, but I think very different if you look at their strenghts. The one is a work horse, the other more of a filigree slicer. In my opinion.

I meant more along the lines of ergonomics but yeah they're fairly different all around. The more Iook at the two the less I see in common.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

The following two have distict differences, but still to me they speak the same language:

Szabo Folder -> Tighe Stick

And the Battlestation speaks that language, too. Just not as loud... ;)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica -> Other Spyderco

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:20 am
Delica -> Other Spyderco

CG

Best post so far! :)

And true for me too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For me, there is a strong ergonomic similarity between Manix, Native and Chapparal (and UKPK).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Also, as an aside, NCC, I keep wondering if you will appear in two places at once.
jdw

Post by jdw »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 am
For me, there is a strong ergonomic similarity between Manix, Native and Chapparal (and UKPK).

This mainly holds true for me as well but less so with the UKPK. It's a lot slimmer and less stable in my hand than the other three. Out of those three the Manix and Native seem to be the most similar pair in fit.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

TomAiello wrote:
I thought the Manix LW and the SS Stretch seemed much the same - but I haven't heard others sharing a similar opinion so maybe that's just me.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:07 am
Also, as an aside, NCC, I keep wondering if you will appear in two places at once.
That would be quite the maneuver...
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

cycleguy wrote:
Delica -> Other Spyderco

CG
Yep!
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

I like the thread so far. In my mind, I don’t think the two knives necessarily need to be similar. I think two very different knives helps us glance into the difficult-to-describe subjective reasons why we like one thing over something else. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:49 pm
TomAiello wrote:
I thought the Manix LW and the SS Stretch seemed much the same - but I haven't heard others sharing a similar opinion so maybe that's just me.

CG
The big difference for me (and what kills the Manix for me) is the secondary point on the Manix - it hits my third finger in just the wrong way, and forces me into a hammer grip. The Stretch handle is more neutral, less defined, and thus a better fit for a wider variety of hands. If they made a Manix blade on say, a Native 5 handle, or a Shaman handle (or ****, just a Stretch handle) it'd be a big improvement to my mind.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Manix 2: Domino ~ Shaman ~ GB1 ~ Native Chief
Native 5: Sage 5 ~ Chapparal ~ Q-Ball
Para 2: Advocate ~ D'Allara 3 ~ GB1 ~ GB2
Para 3: Caly 3 ~ Mantra 1 ~ UKPK
Chef: D'Allara3 ~ Drunken

Just a few off the top of my head, I feel like if you enjoy the first knife listed (the more popular models) then the others are good ones to check out.
So it goes.
archangel

Post by archangel »

cycleguy wrote:
Delica -> Other Spyderco

CG

I don't get it. If you like a Delica, you're gonna love a Respect? Or a Tusk? Or the Spyder Throwers? :confused:

Spyderco has such a broad repertoire of different knives. Some similar to the Delica. But some are very VERY different.
Michael