Which one will dominate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Which one will dominate?

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:43 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:35 pm
If it proves to be as rust resistant as H1 and LC200N..

Is it claimed to be anywhere near those two? I missed that part.
Not an exhaustive test, but Larrin’s article showed a series of coupons with a saltwater spray test and it didn’t have an rust spots, where other stainless steels did. It would be worth finding the limit I think, but I’d be surprised if it was rust proof. Delighted, but surprised.

If nothing else it sounds like it's far stainless enough. I don't play in the ocean but I do like the ultra low maintenance of H1/LC, so having a steel that approaches their level of corrosion resistance while also having increased toughness and edge retention sounds amazing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Larrin's words from the article are "the corrosion resistance ended up being even better than 20CV and just under stellar steels like Vanax or LC200N."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm
On a whole, the high carbide steels never sold at the volume of lower carbide steels.

Spyderco was always unique in using steels that were impossible for majority of companies to work with like Maxamet for instance. So it gives the impression that everyone does it when in fact a lot of these super steels will never, ever touch the sheer volume of low alloy stainless used by Mora, Victornox and J.A Henckels.

I think folks underestimate the increased cost to make blades in high wear steels, it's not just the raw cost per lbs for the steel but one hidden factor is mountains of abrasives needed to grind these steels is exponential. It's also something that is not as universally enjoyed by casual knife folks at different experience and expectation levels of what a knife realistically can or should do so there is even increased cost in just answering more questions for customer service.

There is a notation that a knife should be invincible and cut forever but it's an inverse relationship.

So I personally feel there is a sweet spot for balanced steels with less trade offs in the knife industry and for majority of casual knife folks.

More extreme steels or features are more enjoyable but alienate larger production and causal users in my opinion.

Spyderco really spoils us, so it should be appreciated that you can buy a folder in Maxamet.

I agree. It is also why I'm surprised about it seemingly being so difficult for Spyderco to finally offer some Vanax, a steel that was suggested many many times, for a long time now.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Any Powdered Steel of lower alloy content than S90V is obsolete.

S30V/S45VN should be discontinued ASAP.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Joshua J. wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 am
Any Powdered Steel of lower alloy content than S90V is obsolete.

S30V/S45VN should be discontinued ASAP.

LOL. I don't see that happening.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
swigert

Post by swigert »

I’d say SPY27
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you guys are all missing the most important questions here...

which steel will make me feel like i'm better than other people?
which steel will look best with instagram filters?
which steel is more fun to fidget with?
which steel will open my mail better than 8cr13mov?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The price per lbs/kg is pretty gnarly on Vanax.

That extra step to nitride the powder before HIP must be a doozy.

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:33 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
On a whole, the high carbide steels never sold at the volume of lower carbide steels.

Spyderco was always unique in using steels that were impossible for majority of companies to work with like Maxamet for instance. So it gives the impression that everyone does it when in fact a lot of these super steels will never, ever touch the sheer volume of low alloy stainless used by Mora, Victornox and J.A Henckels.

I think folks underestimate the increased cost to make blades in high wear steels, it's not just the raw cost per lbs for the steel but one hidden factor is mountains of abrasives needed to grind these steels is exponential. It's also something that is not as universally enjoyed by casual knife folks at different experience and expectation levels of what a knife realistically can or should do so there is even increased cost in just answering more questions for customer service.

There is a notation that a knife should be invincible and cut forever but it's an inverse relationship.

So I personally feel there is a sweet spot for balanced steels with less trade offs in the knife industry and for majority of casual knife folks.

More extreme steels or features are more enjoyable but alienate larger production and causal users in my opinion.

Spyderco really spoils us, so it should be appreciated that you can buy a folder in Maxamet.

I agree. It is also why I'm surprised about it seemingly being so difficult for Spyderco to finally offer some Vanax, a steel that was suggested many many times, for a long time now.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 am
The reference of Larrinite/MagnaCut being akin to stainless 4V would make me vote for wanting/buying it over Spy27 or S45VN personally as i love 4V -- although in terms of dominance the models and pricing between the 3 steels may not overlap super frequently so it will be interesting to watch. Personally I can't wait for a MagnaCarta Shaman... ohhhh man please just take my money!!!

It's an amazing time to be a Spydie nut & steel junky for sure!
MagnaCarta...🤣
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Did I misread the charts or was lc200n (zfinit) considerably tougher than magnacut? Seemed like magnacut was considerably better edge retention, and harden able far higher so I imagine better fine edge stability.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:31 am
The price per lbs/kg is pretty gnarly on Vanax.

That extra step to nitride the powder before HIP must be a doozy.

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:33 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Plenty of people have paid $300 for a full ti Vanax Quiet Carry. I wonder if a g10 pm2 at $250 would sell as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am
Plenty of people have paid $300 for a full ti Vanax Quiet Carry. I wonder if a g10 pm2 at $250 would sell as well.

Oh I bet a first Vanax Spydie, especially a PM2, would sell out in no time, even at $250.
Michael
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:58 am
JMM wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 am
The reference of Larrinite/MagnaCut being akin to stainless 4V would make me vote for wanting/buying it over Spy27 or S45VN personally as i love 4V -- although in terms of dominance the models and pricing between the 3 steels may not overlap super frequently so it will be interesting to watch. Personally I can't wait for a MagnaCarta Shaman... ohhhh man please just take my money!!!

It's an amazing time to be a Spydie nut & steel junky for sure!
MagnaCarta...🤣
There is something humorous about a Magna Carta knife outside of the materials. The document ensuring the rights of the people.
I hope Spiderco will make a large ish fixed blade with that name in the 5-6” range. That steel will make an excellent all purpose outdoor knife and I am thinking of a custom one for myself. I am looking forward to the magna mule.

PS I like that the meaning of Magna means “great”
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

If Spyderco did traditional, a traditional style Bowie would be the ticket. Or a short sword?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:12 pm
If Spyderco did traditional, a traditional style Bowie would be the ticket. Or a short sword?
A Nesmuk or Kephart style knife would interest me.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would like a Ben Orford style pocket parang in MagnaCut and it should be named Laude - Magna-Cut Laude. :D

Unless they decide to rename MagnaCut to Cutharsis TM
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:56 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:12 pm
A Nesmuk or Kephart style knife would interest me.
I could get behind a modified Kephart. Get that tip up a hair. I don’t like spear points.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am
I'm really curious to learn how SPY27 will compete against S45VN and Larrinite, both from a total sales point of view (if we'll ever learn about this), and from the number of knives in- and outside Spyderco.

Was it ever discussed if SPY27 has a chance outside Spyderco? Has there ever been a case in the knifeworld where a knife manufacturer-own steel was sold to other knife manufacturers? I doubt that, but I'm far from being an expert in the steel/knife world...
S30V was developed between CPM and Chris Reeve Knives - then it ballooned to be the default stainless for virtually all premium pocket knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 am
I ONLY want Larrinite/MagnaCut from here on out. However, I suspect we will be forced into overpaying for it via short run sprints and exclusives. Plus, with the literal tons and tons of S30V knife makers have stock piled, we will be forced to wade through that for years to come.
You likely won't notice much of a different between the two. S30V may actually out perform "MagnaCut" in direct wear situations. S30V came out initially with the claim that you can have vanadium wear resistance and 5160 style toughness at the same time. All the variation steels since then have been doing marginal tweaks to try and have the s30v cake and eat it too, but the facts of physics simply won't allow it.

I have to say that I find it remarkable that people talk about s30v now as if it were 420HC of yesterday. "We'll have to wade through it," as if it were another "gas station knife steel." This is why I get cynical about all the, "Sal can we please have X steel!!?" threads. I'm sure it makes good business though.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:33 pm
archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am
I'm really curious to learn how SPY27 will compete against S45VN and Larrinite, both from a total sales point of view (if we'll ever learn about this), and from the number of knives in- and outside Spyderco.

Was it ever discussed if SPY27 has a chance outside Spyderco? Has there ever been a case in the knifeworld where a knife manufacturer-own steel was sold to other knife manufacturers? I doubt that, but I'm far from being an expert in the steel/knife world...
S30V was developed between CPM and Chris Reeve Knives - then it ballooned to be the default stainless for virtually all premium pocket knives.
If I remember correctly, it wasn't just Chris Reeve but more of an industry wide collaboration with many big names involved.