What steel stays sharp longer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrj

Re: What steel stays sharp longer?

Post by Mrj »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm
Maxamet wouldn't be a bad choice either, if you are willing to exercise a bit more care with it. I find it holds a good edge for a very long time, is tougher than most people give it credit for, and also sharpens nicely.
I’ve heard really good things about maxamet.
MRj “Weak things break!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am
I mostly cut plastic draw ties, plastic sheeting, cardboard and things like that. But occasionally cut insulation on metal duct or plastic wrap on metal surfaces. I try have a razor utility knife handy but I find myself reaching in my pocket more often than not lol. I’ve had my s30v para 3 for over two years of everyday use. Basically looking to upgrade my beater to a better steel. I sway from using a sprint or exclusive for this type of work. If not using it on metal surfaces it will stay sharp for around a week. Just looking for something that lasts longer with the occasional hard use in between.I don’t mind the sharpening just want it to last longer.
Do you have any issues with the S30V chipping, or is it just going dull on you?

If its chipping you'll want to lean towards a tougher steel. If its just going dull that gives you more flexibility in your options.

Regardless, if you can avoid cutting on metal, it will extend the life of any steel you carry. I know sometimes when you're on the job you don't have time to do things perfectly. In my line of work I tend to avoid carrying carbon steels because I don't always have time to wipe them down good enough after use.
:unicorn
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

So far I haven’t had any chipping. Mostly just dulls. Even still have that pointy tip. The belly of the blade takes the biggest hits.
MRj “Weak things break!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You might want to try a Salt 2 serrated edge as trial. Not expensive and a good model in the same size range as the P3 to test a tougher steel that has decent edge retention. Yes, it is bright green, but some RIT dye can take care of that in minute if it bothers you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm
You might want to try a Salt 2 serrated edge as trial. Not expensive and a good model in the same size range as the P3 to test a tougher steel that has decent edge retention. Yes, it is bright green, but some RIT dye can take care of that in minute if it bothers you.
I actually have looked at those. Not for this scenario but not a bad idea. Could kill two birds.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

S90v stays sharp for a very long time. But is not very fun to sharpen.
Stay sharp!
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

Besides S90v, what else stays sharp and not easy to get rust?
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:48 pm
Besides S90v, what else stays sharp and not easy to get rust?
M390 is in my opinion the best all around steel. Still takes some time to get a razor sharp edge but it's a steel you can do just about anything knife related with. Another steel you can look at is cpm20cv.
Stay sharp!
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

A serrated k390 Delica/Endela/Endura wouldn’t suck :spyder:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:23 am
I’m looking for a steel that will hold the sharp edge longer.

Sometimes I cut things on metal, block, and other hard surfaces.

Yeah... I don't think you're going to find any steel that will hold up well to cutting against rocks and metal. "Super Steels" are super for ease and quality of sharpening, as well as durability through normal use. But you can't do crazy things and have the edge emerge unscathed.

With that said, REX45 and M4 both do well for me. I've also been playing with SPY27, which has been performing well.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

A razor knife is the right answer.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Yep. Cheap utility razor is what you need. SE Endela a second place, VG-10 is fine in SE if your going to beat on it.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maxamet and S110V. A serrated edge will also stay sharp longer when you cut on hard surfaces, because the "peaks" will protect the "valleys".

Alternatively you could try a steel that sharpens more readily than S30V. LC200N, Spy27, 52100 or other carbon steels with a finer grain structure.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A K390 Endela will give you a Paramilitary 2 sized blade and you can get serrations if you want to try them. Serrations will always cut longer than plain edged.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

A serrated knife was the first thing that came to my mind as well. If you did have to cut on top of metal, only the points of the teeth with dull
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Holland wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 pm
A serrated knife was the first thing that came to my mind as well. If you did have to cut on top of metal, only the points of the teeth with dull
Yep. This is why serrated steak knives are common. Only the points contact the ceramic plates.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:01 pm
A razor knife is the right answer.
I agree 100%. But those break easily too. Being lazy I use my folder a lot. Serrated might be my next option.
MRj “Weak things break!”