Is anyone else completely in love with the Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Re: Is anyone else completely in love with the Dragonfly?

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Hard no. I only own 1 (zdp) and way too much vertical play. Never bought another
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when i first got my df2 salt se, i was in love with it. then i had a period where the action loosened up and was gritty and i actually misplaced it for a couple months. when i found it, i cleaned it up and tightened everything again and it was like new.

so, to answer your question, i do love it, but i prefer to carry larger knives. if i have to carry a small knife, i'll likely be carrying it along with a cold steel tuff lite.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:19 pm
Blnd wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:07 pm
It’s Spyderco’s best design. It’s an unapologetic EDC knife with a unique form factor that doesn’t feel like anything else in the hand.

It’s a carry knife for realists with a size and weight penalty that is effectively zero. It morphs from detail razor to big boy knife with a minor adjustment in the fingers.

I don’t care what you say - you don’t get razor blade detail by choking up on a 3”+ knife blade. It’s not the same.

I bought a chaparral FRN over the holidays. After carrying both for a bit the chaparral is now a desk knife. It’s missing the subtle ergonomic magic that makes the dragonfly so unique. It also doesn’t carry in a 5th pocket nearly as well.

The Dragonfly 2 was unique when I picked it up for the first time 10 years ago. It hasn’t left my pocket since.

I could handle both the DFly and the Chap before I decided for the latter. For me it was exactly the other way round: Clearly better ergos on the Chap, which make it feel like a perfect extension of my hand, like a "sixth finger" ;) But ergos are always totally subjective of course!

For my typical EDC tasks the DFly blade is just too short quite often, while the Chaps is just long enough and also slices better.

In carry the DFly is really hard to beat, no doubt, though the Chap fits into all my fifth pockets easily too.

Anyway, both cool knives! :)
You and I have talked about this a bit So I went back and compared the chaparral to the DF2 in hand. I think the difference for me is that the chaparral handle fills my palm and I use less wrist when using it. The dragonfly only touches my palm on the aft end - leaving much more finger and wrist flexibility and making it more intuitive to maneuver the knife for reverse cuts or other grip changes.

I have smaller hands so that might be where our preferences are coming from. Anyway - fascinating that two similarly sized knives can have very different ergos.

Also - I always get a kick out of the “misnamed” chaparral. Chaparral veg is short, stubby, thick, and tough. Totally should have been the name for the lil’ native.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I just got the new carbon fiber one for my wife. She likes it more than her delica. I’m kinda jealous now. After I opened it I was like **** I should keep this. Lol.
MRj “Weak things break!”
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Yes, huge fan. Have a few and gravitate to the Salt SE version most often.
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

I have more Dragonflys than any other model. I didn't care for the ZDP-189 model because of the fingerprints that were left on the blade when it was touched.
Jared

Post by Jared »

I’ve had the Zome Green model for quite a while. I’ve always liked it, and usually carried it as a second knife. Something small and innocuous that I could get out in the presence of non knife folks and they’d never give it a second look. Like I said, I liked it, but never really loved it.

Then I decided I needed a Wharncliffe version. Now this one I do love. It’s like a nifty little scalpel that I can pretty much take anywhere it’s legal to have a knife. So I’m back to almost always having a Dragonfly on me as a second knife. This time I’m a lot more fond of that second knife though.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hoping to head to the store tomorrow so I can fall in love with one, lol.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Donut wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am
Reject wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm
One member likened the Dragonfly to popcorn.
:D You can’t stop at one.

I don't see it, so please tell me you have the Nishijin one in there!

I have a lot of them and I used to carry them a lot, but I don't carry them as much as I used to.

At 11 o clock, C28GFPE Dragonfly Nishijin /ZDP-189.
Old photo; :confused: no idea what it was about and why that one is the middle?

How much can a Koala bear?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:46 am
At 11 o clock, C28GFPE Dragonfly Nishijin /ZDP-189.
Old photo; :confused: no idea what it was about and why that one is the middle?

That's a pretty cool photo. I'm glad you have that one. That's one of my most prized Dragonflies.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

By far Sal best design and probably one the best designed knife ever made. Nothing come close in its category. I just hope Spyderco will upgrade it to S30V.

It's one of the rare knife I wouldn't change a thing about, with the Mnandi.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I love the Dragonfly as well. It is an excellent design.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love the Dragonfly. It was my first Spyderco actually. The PE H1 Salt version. I still carry this one on my swim trunks/board shorts at the pool and beach. It is also incredible for deveining shrimp! I just added the Hawkbill to my collection last night. I think it is an awesome platform for a variety of blade shapes and I will never quit asking for a Dodo-fly SE and Cricket-fly SE. I'd also love a Tanto-fly as would my 8 y/o son whose two favorite knives of mine are my Dragonfly and generic little Chinese mini-tanto. He would go crazy if I surprised him with a Tanto-fly! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Last Christmas I gave my best friend's father "the addiction".

Since he lives in the rural part of Western New York on a lake front property... I gave him a Dragonfly 2 Salt
with his name engraved on it. Needless to say he loved it and carries it with him everyday.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Donut wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 am
Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:46 am
That's a pretty cool photo. I'm glad you have that one. That's one of my most prized Dragonflies.

:D Guess which one is my most prized Dragonfly.
The dirty looking one at the top is my most used. :) It lives in the bottom of my pocket, minus the clip.

How much can a Koala bear?
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:33 pm
Hard no. I only own 1 (zdp) and way too much vertical play. Never bought another
Have you tried tightening the back lock pivot screw? That greatly reduced vertical play on mine. This is my first Seki City spyderco and their reputation is not unearned :p
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It is a fantastic little knife. I’ve got one in orange, one daughter has one in purple, and I just won a GAW for a teal DF2 - my other daughter immediately claimed it. Couldn’t be happier either, her eyes lit up!
Chapp wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 am
By far Sal best design and probably one the best designed knife ever made. Nothing come close in its category. I just hope Spyderco will upgrade it to S30V.

It's one of the rare knife I wouldn't change a thing about, with the Mnandi.
The teal version is s30v.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would actually keep one if they swapped the position of the lanyard hole with the clip and didn't have that pointy back end. Lil Native for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wouldn't say completely in love, but I do think it's a model every Spyderco fan needs at least one of. Very happy and content with my Vtoku2 version. My go to knife when I'm wearing athletic shorts and hanging with the neighbors when I don't think I really need a knife, but I've got one if needed!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

Haven't owned one long enough to say I'm completely in love yet but I did acquire my first, a simple Black FRN SE. I very nearly selected a PE in ZDP-189 but decided that I really wanted a SE and, could put the savings toward a Native in S35VN. So, I left Golden with both the Native and DF. If I'd have had the funds I would have grabbed the SE Cricket too. I can see that with so many variations of the DF, I'll be acquiring more. I am huge small knife fan. And the DF definitely punches above its weight. Hope I made the right choice passing on the ZDP-189.