Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Re: Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Post by Catamount123 »

Just got mine, tricked it out lefty with an MXG clip.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Brock O Lee

Re: Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a CF inbound...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 am
Order a backup rex, splurge for CF, or cross my fingers for a 4V drop.

Decisions decisions :D
I prefer open back designs for blades that are prone to corrosion, they dry out quicker than back locks. The chief does not have steel liners so may be less prone to rust. YMMV...
Hans

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:04 am
My CPM REX 45 desires are met, at least for now. :p It's been a long wait since the announcement of the REX Chief and i am glad it is here. :cool:

This is the first sprint that i've bought two examples of-- the second one is in the mail to OZ. Glad to help a brother out. :spyder: :cool:

PXL_20210315_155431345.jpg

Edit:

I will add, for the sake of discussion, that my REX Chief has the tiniest bit of "lock rock" or vertical blade play when locked. It is so little that i didn't notice it on initial inspection-- only on the follow-up. I suspect it is well within warranty tolerances and is just as safe as my 7 other Golden mid back locks.
Much appreciated bro! :) :cool:

While that knife wings its way over the Pacific to Oz, I’ve been enjoying the REX Chief vicariously through y’all’s pics and reviews. :)

Although Sal claims to ‘design in the dark’ for ergonomic functionality over looks, I have to say that the Chief is a really good looking, elegant knife, :cool: :spyder:
dan31

Post by dan31 »

My S90v Chief is tight. Blade centered and locks up tight. It’s light for what it is and carries slim in the pocket. The handle feels great in or behind the choil as there is no hump. I need to consider switching to tip down as I like longer blades tip down.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Well, today was sharpen the rex 45 chief day. One side was spot on 20 degree bevel the other was less than 17 degrees. Took a good 2 hours to get it close, ordered another diamond lansky as I think I killed one lol. I thought if was going to be a touch up as I have been using my chief in the kitchen and the wife went to town on a block of cheese on a ceramic plate. Figure I would share, definitely loving the patina of kitchen duty. Actually starting to like rex 45 after all the chipping issues I had with my Tree-Rex.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
vivi

Post by vivi »

Some comparison photos I posted earlier tonight.

PS also checked the edge on my Chief. Got just a hair under 27 degrees inclusive. No wonder it cuts so well. I could tell by looking at it that it had been ground thinner than usual.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Chief was never on my radar, but when I noticed the S90V CF version, I ordered one on a whim because I knew the window of opportunity was small and I would kick myself later if I missed out. And boy am I glad I did! It arrived today, flawless and pretty and pointy.

What an excellent large slicer, with a slim pocket footprint!

I’ve already used it a couple of times in the kitchen, and I can already tell I will carry it a lot.
Hans

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RIT dyed the scales. Was shooting for St. Nicks Red.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 am

Thanks for posting. I was trying to find someone who dyed the burnt orange scale. What color rit did you use?
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Not going to lie. When I first saw this I thought it was someone posting a St Nick's 4V Native Chief teaser. Looks good though. Hopefully you have a chance to add the real deal to your arsenal if it happens.

Sam
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Mine shipped on March 8 still haven’t got it yet. Usps says on the way but arriving late. Smh.
MRj “Weak things break!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Managed to get the tiniest chip in my edge. Not sure how. It'll sharpen out the first time I touch it up on stones.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

eonbluemantra wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:20 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Thanks for posting. I was trying to find someone who dyed the burnt orange scale. What color rit did you use?
Racing Red RIT Dye-MORE. 7 to 1 ratio, water to dye. No vinegar, just water. Light boil. 30 seconds (three 10 second dunks).
sherbert4537 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:27 pm
Not going to lie. When I first saw this I thought it was someone posting a St Nick's 4V Native Chief teaser. Looks good though. Hopefully you have a chance to add the real deal to your arsenal if it happens.

Sam

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

Took mine out of the box and did some whittling with it.

The blade looks good, the grind is almost perfectly even on both sides. It's very light.

The ergos are okay I guess. There's some sharp corners on the G10 which are immediate hot spots, but they can be chamfered easily.

I doubt it's a good knife to make power cuts with. My hand actuated the back lock when I put a lot of pressure into a cut.
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

Just got mine not too long ago, pretty happy with it, glad I took a chance on it. Long time lurker turned member, hi everybody.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Trav64 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:34 am
Just got mine not too long ago, pretty happy with it, glad I took a chance on it. Long time lurker turned member, hi everybody.
Hi Trav64, welcome :spyder:

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:35 pm
Mine shipped on March 8 still haven’t got it yet. Usps says on the way but arriving late. Smh.
I had a Bark River get stuck for 3 weeks with the same status, it finally showed up about a week ago...
So it goes.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 pm
Mrj wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:35 pm
I had a Bark River get stuck for 3 weeks with the same status, it finally showed up about a week ago...
Usps is the worst these days. It’s that free shipping that gets me every time.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

So far so good with my REX 45 Chief. Spyderco did an awesome job with the blade geometry. It carries really well I almost forget it's in my pocket. It cuts exceptionally well. This is probably the smoothest back lock I've ever used.

It's not dull yet, but I'm thinking of sharpening it to avoid any issues with chopping due to an overheated edge.