New CPM Stainless Steel??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: New CPM Stainless Steel??

Post by ChrisinHove »

What I find genuinely remarkable and impressive is when someone has enough knowledge and insight to take well known ingredients and processes and make something better out of them.

Brilliant.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 am
Hi Larrin,

Conrats on the new blend. You know us, we've already ordered a batch for a Mule Team. Great time for Steel Junky's.

sal
Can't wait!
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I think this steel is made by Niagara Specialty Metals, so it’s technically a PM steel, not CPM, which would indicate Crucible manufacture.

If anyone wants more info, I recommend supporting Larrin’s work on Patreon - there’s more information available there.

Fireman - this steel is more of a ‘balanced stainless’, intended for knives, rather than a tool steel like 15V, which has a very high vanadium (~14.5%) and carbon (~3.4%) content.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in for the Mule Team too! I've got extra scales and sheath waiting for a knife :) (thanks again Larry!)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 am
Hi Larrin,
Conrats on the new blend. You know us, we've already ordered a batch for a Mule Team. Great time for Steel Junky's.
sal

Larrin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm
When you think of applications for this steel in a folding knife, what is the first current Spyderco folder that comes to your mind?
Hopefully all of them.

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am
dan31 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 am
I am hoping this is similar to SRS-15 that Shawn has discussed in the past. A stainless cruwear "like" steel. Obviously his custom work will maximize the performance.
I'd say this new steel is even better. Dr Larrin is a real mastermind and the chemistry is very purpose built for high performance.

Exciting times! Maybe the next run of Seki sprints should be in this steel instead of the previously discussed SRS-13/SRS-15??? Although if this steel really lives up to the hype as a stainless 4V, I would much rather see it be full production so everyone can get in on the action! As long is it makes it into all of my favorite Seki models I'll be happy!

I am glad to see focus being put towards more balanced tougher knife steels rather than all of the recent emphasis on insane wear resistance.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but how does the steel sharpen?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:35 am
... this steel is more of a ‘balanced stainless’, intended for knives, rather than a tool steel like 15V, which has a very high vanadium (~14.5%) and carbon (~3.4%) content.
You had me at "balanced"!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:35 am
I think this steel is made by Niagara Specialty Metals, so it’s technically a PM steel, not CPM, which would indicate Crucible manufacture.

If anyone wants more info, I recommend supporting Larrin’s work on Patreon - there’s more information available there.

Fireman - this steel is more of a ‘balanced stainless’, intended for knives, rather than a tool steel like 15V, which has a very high vanadium (~14.5%) and carbon (~3.4%) content.
It is made by Crucible. They make steel.

Niagara Specialty Metal does not make steel, they are a rolling mill and distributor.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find this highly interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing future tests.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 am
What I find genuinely remarkable and impressive is when someone has enough knowledge and insight to take well known ingredients and processes and make something better out of them.

Brilliant.

The real Iron Chefs.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Iron Chef! Good one! :D
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Mamma mia, what a steel!!! And this is also stainless? Makes me immediately phantasize about a folder kitchen series, thin enough to be super slicy, similar geography like P4 but different formats, like from "Police recrute" in mini size up to "Police Chief" beeing a tad longer than the current P4.

Just my dreams.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

The interest in kitchen knives is interesting to me here. Is toughness a particularly important trait there? Are you guys thinking like a butcher/breaking knife?

To me the ideal seems to be hard use outdoors blades, whether folding or fixed.

Has it shown to have excellent edge stability at very thin angles? That would be a big plus in kitchen knives, but toughness for chopping nails doesn’t always seem to equate to that. Super hard aebl is awesome in the kitchen but likely less awesome in a 9 inch chopper.

I’m very intrigued by this steel, especially if it has edge retention beyond S30v.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Toughness in a kitchen knife seems like a good idea; I beat my santoku into a maple board more than I ever do my pocket knives. And for anything that involves bones...
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:24 am

Niagara Specialty Metal does not make steel, they are a rolling mill and distributor.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Shawn - I stand corrected.

I wrote that post while I was having a bite to eat on the way home from work, so I was relying on my (often faulty :D :rolleyes:) memory of reading Larrin’s Patreon article back in early Feb. I hadn’t watched your vid yet either.

I see now that there’s specific mention of Crucible in both those sources. :)

Your tests look very promising.

Are you able to share more details on your test blade?

Did you run it at a similar edge angle and BTE thickness to a stock ESEE? Or were both knives sharpened to a lower angle? It looked and sounded like you’d given the ESEE 6 a good sharpening before the test?

The good toughness bodes well for knives run with thin edges like chef knives, and skinners and fllet knives, as Phil said. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

This is great news. I love a tough steel, but it has to be stainless if I’m going to use it in my pocket or the kitchen. Just my strong preference. Toughness equals forgiveness of human imperfection while using the knife.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:24 am

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Shawn - I stand corrected.

I wrote that post while I was having a bite to eat on the way home from work, so I was relying on my (often faulty :D :rolleyes:) memory of reading Larrin’s Patreon article back in early Feb. I hadn’t watched your vid yet either.

I see now that there’s specific mention of Crucible in both those sources. :)

Your tests look very promising.

Are you able to share more details on your test blade?

Did you run it at a similar edge angle and BTE thickness to a stock ESEE? Or were both knives sharpened to a lower angle? It looked and sounded like you’d given the ESEE 6 a good sharpening before the test?

The good toughness bodes well for knives run with thin edges like chef knives, and skinners and fllet knives, as Phil said. :)
No worries, sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the names and who makes what etc.

I have more tests and videos I'm working on so I'll discuss more when I'm done.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not at all knocking any of the other well respected producers of blade steel>> but like all the rest of you I do have my personal favorites. My two favorite exotic blade steel companies are Crucible and Bohler-Uddeholm. About the only blade steel that Crucible ever produced that I had issues with is oddly enough their S30V. I've had micro-chipping problems with that steel in cold weather. But maybe that's a "heat treatment" issue and I would welcome Brother Larrin's comments on that.

I am also impressed with German producer Bohler-Uddeholm because my M390 Military has been one of my all time favorite EDC folders I've ever used. It turned out to be one of my greatest trades I ever made when I acquired it.

Again I'm not knocking Carpenter, Sandvik or any other respectable steel producer but I've had my best results with those two aforementioned companies. However if any other company comes out with superior products then I'm completely open to a total review. And I can't say enough about how great Brother Larrin's contributions have been and how much I've learned from his great posts.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Böhler-Uddeholm is Austrian... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6hler-Uddeholm

Needless to say that I'm in for the race at a CPM LMS1 (Larrin's Master Steel One) Mule. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...