New CPM Stainless Steel??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: New CPM Stainless Steel??

Post by steelcity16 »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:06 pm
Is the optimal heat treat for this steel something Spyderco could do in a full production environment? I'm guessing it was designed this way, but just curious.
Yes.

Great news! Thanks for the response!

Do you see this being used in Kitchen Cutlery as well?

When you think of applications for this steel in a folding knife, what is the first current Spyderco folder that comes to your mind?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm
Do you see this being used in Kitchen Cutlery as well?
Yes. It's already been made into several kitchen knives. The knifemakers reported excellent performance and are asking for more.
When you think of applications for this steel in a folding knife, what is the first current Spyderco folder that comes to your mind?
Hopefully all of them.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
blues

Post by blues »

Now we're going to have to sell off all of our old knives...

...sigh.

:p
- Retired from the chase -
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm
Also, how far out would we be from seeing this in a Spyderco Mule, and then in an actual Spyderco folder? I wonder if this is one of the mystery Mules since they skipped a number or two? :confused:
That's what I was wondering, perhaps we might see this steel in the mysteriously skipped MT30?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

When is the Delica version available?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the heads up on the new stainless unobtanium (my personal name for this one since we don’t have a real name yet). How does it compare to 15V is my question. Where does if compare in terms of corrosion resistance? Need to send this knife to Cedric and Ada. :)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Need Native 5 in new unobtanium tough stainless.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

I was fortunate to get a sample and did report my testing to Larrin. I looks like with the high toughness and corrosion resistance it will have great application across the board but especially for fillet knives and kitchen knives and bird and trout. I can't wait to try some out in the salt water. Edge holding appears to be in the CPM S30v category so far. I have known Larrin since he was a teenager and pretty excited for him. Phil
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:03 pm
I was fortunate to get a sample and did report my testing to Larrin. I looks like with the high toughness and corrosion resistance it will have great application across the board but especially for fillet knives and kitchen knives and bird and trout. I can't wait to try some out in the salt water. Edge holding appears to be in the CPM S30v category so far. I have known Larrin since he was a teenager and pretty excited for him. Phil
Hi Phil---

A filet knife collaboration by you and Spyderco would absolutely be at the top of my list in all of knifedom. Fixed or folder, it doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, I'd buy any collaboration you did with Spyderco.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 pm
Phil Wilson wrote:
Hi Phil---

A filet knife collaboration by you and Spyderco would absolutely be at the top of my list in all of knifedom. Fixed or folder, it doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, I'd buy any collaboration you did with Spyderco.
I'd love to have a fillet knife in Phil's specs
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:15 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 pm
Phil Wilson wrote:
Hi Phil---

I'd love to have a fillet knife in Phil's specs
Amen to that! The right amount of tip flex and distal taper of his designs are probably a large part of what makes his blades legendary. (not discounting his heat treats.) I don't want to read too much into this, but he did specifically mention fillet and trout and bird. :) Always the eternal optimist. :p
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sounds interesting...
High toughness and S30V edge sounds like my favorite LC200N. Will this unobtainium knock LC200N off it’s throne? This is a Larrin designed steel? It must be good! Might have to change the name to Larrinium!
Phil Wilson wrote:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oooh exciting times!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

LAR-wear looks like a winner :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am

I'd say this new steel is even better. Dr Larrin is a real mastermind and the chemistry is very purpose built for high performance.
Wait... Am I hearing this correctly? This is a powdered knife steel developed by Larrin and tested by you?!

Just one question. Where do I send the check?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larrinium and LAR-wear are both winning names!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
blues

Post by blues »

What's wrong with Larrinite?
- Retired from the chase -
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

CPM LT (Larrin Thomas)
Thomasite
K.S.N. 1 (Knife Steel Nerds)
Über Hart
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larrin,

Conrats on the new blend. You know us, we've already ordered a batch for a Mule Team. Great time for Steel Junky's.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Exciting stuff!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!