What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm
Dices a green pepper, has a new favorite knife haha! :p But seriously, once I saw you were getting this, I had a feeling you'd like it. Ranking it possibly above the Police or your favorite SE model already is surprising though!
This design really speaks to me. So many little details stand out to me....

- The way it has a Military sized cutting edge in a much more compact package.

- How much more comfortable various grips utilizing the index choil are with zero thumb ramp. I think I'll use it a lot more with this knife.

- How beefy the screws are, and how few of them are needed. Very simple construction, like my old favorite the UKPK. Maintenance should be a breeze.

- How perfect the balance is. This is one of the main reasons I like it more than the Shaman. Such a small detail but it makes the handling feel much better.

- How narrow it is in my pocket. In fact I can get it in my dedicated knife pocket that is too narrow for my Police or Manix

I haven't felt this enthusiastic about a folder since I bought my Police 3 years ago.

Just gotta be careful not to drop this one on our dirt roads :p

:unicorn
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I sure do like mine. Once it’s open it handles like a dream. Carries better than my other large Spydercos too. I worry a little about that needle-like tip but very happy with it overall.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Uggghhh...all these glowing posts on the Chief, in my favorite steel...is tempting me to spend $170 I didn't plan on spending!! I miss my Military as my one folder that stands out against the rest because of it's size, seems like this could be a great replacement for it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Uggghhh...all these glowing posts on the Chief, in my favorite steel...is tempting me to spend $170 I didn't plan on spending!! I miss my Military as my one folder that stands out against the rest because of it's size, seems like this could be a great replacement for it.
Do ittttttttttttttttttt
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
It really is a great knife, give in to that temptation!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lumpy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:56 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
It really is a great knife, give in to that temptation!
Hey! Love the Randall Monroe book there. ;) I've got that one, What If? (my favorite), and also Thing Explainer. Really hope he comes out with a second What If? book. He's a great writer and, of course, artist.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Holland

Post by Holland »

K390 dragonfly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote: ...
- How perfect the balance is. This is one of the main reasons I like it more than the Shaman. Such a small detail but it makes the handling feel much better.
I know your saying something else but...

I have been meaning to mention something I found a little funny. I had to retighten the clip on my s30v chief and I just happened to get it in a perfect spot with the tiny amount that a spoon clip can be adjusted left/right and forward/back. In this spot, in the closed position, the chief will balance perfectly on the flat spoon part of the spoon clip at the very end. Both in left/right rocking and pivot/butt rocking when placed clip down on a level surface. Im not saying that it will rest flat on the clip like an endura or many other designs will, I am saying that it literally is balancing perfectly on the very end on the spoon clip. I can tap the end of the knife and it will spin like a top.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Endura 4 VToku2
Attachments
20210316_231417.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Native Chief Rex45 is instant classic IMHO. Same class as micarta Shamans or M4 / M390 Millitaries. If I don't have my K390 Endura, wich I love, use and carry all the time, I would try to grab one too.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I had to go with the Brouwer in my favorite forest green g10 today. Happy Green Beer Day, everyone!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:56 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:07 pm
With the "no spin" technique (tip ALWAYS facing forward) knowing the exact distance to the target does almost not matter anymore - I actually go for a run through lonesome forest some times and while running throw the knife on any dead tree or stump I see ;) no prob with "no spin"

Here https://youtu.be/SThz_pIUggA is a tutorial -
I'll try that out this weekend, I've always thrown with spin but see clear advantages to this style.

Got myself a triple set of really cheap throwing knives (like 35 USD all three sheeth that holds all three included) for "no spin" throwing! :) Took them on a hike today, together with my HAP40 Stretch
I want to get the large Spyder Throwers eventually, but right now other Spydies (folders) are higher on my list.

At the moment I had only my Esee Laser Strike for throwing, figured three cheap dedicated throwing knives can´t hurt, and also not that I´ll have six throwers as soon as I get those from Spyderco.

These are not too bad, actually. A pro or con (however one might see it) is that they are still actual knives with a real, somewhat sharp cutting edge. I like that, though for throwing it is less than ideal, even potentially dangerous. But one can always make the edge blunt, especially with such a cheap, presumably soft steel.

One thing I´ll have to do though: Strip the black paint and make them shiny, or even color the steel with some toxic colors, like Esee does with the Izula. THROWING knives should really be highly visible, especially if you´re like me and tun through the woods, throwing them instinctively so that they can get lost easily.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At first I thought those throwers were stuck in the ground, was going to say...Warty, you need some practice! :p

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

7am and 0 degrees F! Brrr... I am ready for winter to be over.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

My REX Chief replaced my K390 Endura and the Salt 2 SE Wharnie in LC took over for the Pac Salt SE in LC.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Endela thread that started yesterday made me put the Manix away and switch to this guy today.

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am
The Endela thread that started yesterday made me put the Manix away and switch to this guy today.

Good choice! Endelas for days!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red