What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sparty569

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by sparty569 »

2 things. Cutting the ends off of strawberries, and opening my sons new toy.

Wow is this Mantra 3 slicey. I wasnt expecting it to cut SO well.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cut some cardboard this morning, and strawberries at lunch.

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I bought a new bed today, and the foam mattress came in a VERY heavy duty cardboard box. Gleefully, I decided to break out a good chunk of the collection and go to town. Here are the results:

The S110V Millie with factory edge was a monster, with the K390 Police 4 right behind it. The two best cutters without a doubt however, were the Chaparral and ZDP Delica, both sporting my own 600 grit finishes with no microbevels. The thinner blades just sang through the thick stuff, and made short work of their portion. The Chap definitely had an edge on the Delica ergo-wise, and cut just a little better. This was a fun exercise in geometry!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Used my Kapara to open my new Yojimbo 2.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

At work using my K390 Endela for mundane tasks like cutting Nylon sheeting for a drop cloth.

We’re bonding carbon fiber stringers on the bus of a next gen GPS III satellite. Can’t get sloppy with the adhesives. :D
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Used my Caribbean SE to cut open a bunch of softener salt bags.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

While waiting for the snow storm of the year to hit I've been using the CBN and brown Benchstones along with the Sharpmaker to re-do some knives I'd sharpened a long time ago. As for the snowstorm, it's been snowing since late morning and we've accumulated 2" on the grass. :rolleyes:
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Cut some fishing line with the K390 Endela.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Broke down a pizza box

vivi

Post by vivi »

Used my Street Beat to open the mail :)

:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Whoa!

Is that a CPM REX 45 Chief?
- Connor

vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:03 pm
vivi wrote:

Whoa!

Is that a CPM REX 45 Chief?
Yep! Currently in my pocket. Seriously impressed with this design! May end up favoring it over my Police and Manix XL.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Yep! Currently in my pocket. Seriously impressed with this design! May end up favoring it over my Police and Manix XL.
That's a nice mail call right there! Wow, shocked to hear that about the Native Chief already. I'm interested in your thoughts on Rex45. I don't recall reading any experiences of yours with it in the past. I think you'll love the steel in use and sharpening, I'm curious how the lack of corrosion resistance will work for you.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:59 pm
I bought a new bed today, and the foam mattress came in a VERY heavy duty cardboard box. Gleefully, I decided to break out a good chunk of the collection and go to town. Here are the results:

The S110V Millie with factory edge was a monster, with the K390 Police 4 right behind it. The two best cutters without a doubt however, were the Chaparral and ZDP Delica, both sporting my own 600 grit finishes with no microbevels. The thinner blades just sang through the thick stuff, and made short work of their portion. The Chap definitely had an edge on the Delica ergo-wise, and cut just a little better. This was a fun exercise in geometry!

Wait until you try a box cutter! ;) I still use Spydies here and there to break down boxes if my box cutters aren't handy, but a box cutter with a Stanley Carbide blade will sail through thick cardboard better than any Spydie I have tried. Like you said, thinner is better here.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:

Nice! Love my Z-cut. I'm going to be adding a few more. What is the middle one? I am not too versed in Spyderco's fixed blade offerings. I've never been too drawn to their stuff vs. something like my CPKs or LT Wrights.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm
vivi wrote:
That's a nice mail call right there! Wow, shocked to hear that about the Native Chief already. I'm interested in your thoughts on Rex45. I don't recall reading any experiences of yours with it in the past. I think you'll love the steel in use and sharpening, I'm curious how the lack of corrosion resistance will work for you.
I've actually yet to try Rex45 or HAP40 so it will be new to me.

I'm excited to build up a patina on this one. I usually don't have as much of an issue with blades as I do liners, and the Chief is linerless.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm
vivi wrote:
I've actually yet to try Rex45 or HAP40 so it will be new to me.

I'm excited to build up a patina on this one. I usually don't have as much of an issue with blades as I do liners, and the Chief is linerless.

Finally! ;)
I am really curious about your thoughts on REX 45 (and also HAP40). And how the patina will work out for you. As you might have read my REX 45 Manix has developed only a really subtle patina, that can just be seen under a certain light and angle.
But then: I know that you´ve mastered the art of corroding knives a LOT better than I have... ;) I actually still really suck here.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Seems to me that K390 forms a patina much more readily than Rex 45, just my experience so far.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:29 pm
MFlovejp wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:59 pm

[img] https://i.postimg.cc/CMNvP7vB/051-D3-AF ... 013-DE.jpg

Wait until you try a box cutter! ;) I still use Spydies here and there to break down boxes if my box cutters aren't handy, but a box cutter with a Stanley Carbide blade will sail through thick cardboard better than any Spydie I have tried. Like you said, thinner is better here.

Ha! I’m sure you’re right. That Chap though... I might put that up against a standard box cutter... of course with style points there’s no question ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Let it sit for a bit like this, then rinsed it off. No hint of patina so far. Gotta cut something more reactive I suppose.