Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Post by jpm2 »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Cemented tungsten carbide, 18.5 dps, 0.5 micron diamond polished, sharpness 10/10
Now that's interesting.

Sage maxamet about 30 incl, touched up on dmt 8k diamond.
GEC 1095 stockman about 25 incl, same 8k.
DF salt H1 serrated, 30 deg white sharpmaker.
Last edited by jpm2 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Re: Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Cemented tungsten carbide, 18.5 dps, 0.5 micron diamond polished, sharpness 10/10
Now that's interesting.
There's a good thread following the knife in the off topic section.

Today I carried a factory edge LC200N SE Pacific Salt. Very sharp. Cleanly shaves. Seems ground at 20 degrees and the finish is pretty polished.

I've been using it on a lot of cardboard so I have an excuse to sharpen it soon.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Micro Melt PD#1
15 dps
Up to 0.5 micron CBN, but not mirror polished
Shaving sharp, but not hair-popping.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Steel: VG10 - SE Rockjumper
Angle: ~12°
Grit finish: Sharpmaker CBN, lightly stropped on basswood with 1um CBN compound
Sharpness level: Probably still pretty sharp but too much tape residue to really tell. :p
-Turbo
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet
30 inclusive
400 grit
Smooth through copy paper--not sure how to qualitatively assess it, but I'd say it's sharp enough, but not screaming sharp
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Steel: VG-10
Edge Angle: 15dps
Grit Finish: KME diamond 300grit hone, stropped on 4 micron diamond solution
Sharpness: Hair popping and push cuts receipt paper against the grain
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sharpened the new Superblue Stretch this week.

Went through the 140, 400, 600 and 1200 Atomas, then the 800 and 1200 Venevs.

The new edge went 10 dps on the goniometer.

I’ve been touching up the edge with the Sharpmaker rods at 15dps. I’ve been comparing the brown M rod edge finish to the M, F, UF progression.

I’m finishing likewise with a few light passes on a variety of different strops, pasted or sprayed with diamond or CBN compounds. The grit sizes range through the 10 - 6 - 3 - 1 - 0.25 - 0.1 μm range. The surfaces range from balsa, smoothside and roughside leather to hardwood. The plain, smoothsanded, Eucalyptus Regnans hardwood strop with 0.25 μm diamond paste produces a nice crisp finish for pushcutting off the Spyderco UF benchstone, after a couple of stropping passes on each of the previous grit sizes.

A quick test halving and sectioning a ripe tomato, showed the blade was pleasingly almost falling straight through the tomato skin and flesh before applying any pressure.

I tried a couple of light 10 μm strops on balsa, straight off the SM brown rods at 15 dps too, and that gave a nice bitey, medium coarse edge.
77519387-51C1-4BB0-B93C-E438E94A545F.jpeg
Holland

Post by Holland »

20210311_090734_copy_3024x1701.jpg
Both of these were convexed on a bench stone at a low grit and finished with a 600 grit bench stone

No clue on the angle, but they are super slicers

M4 and K390, my two favourite steels
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:01 am
Sharpened the new Superblue Stretch this week.

Went through the 140, 400, 600 and 1200 Atomas, then the 800 and 1200 Venevs.

The new edge went 10 dps on the goniometer.

I’ve been touching up the edge with the Sharpmaker rods at 15dps. I’ve been comparing the brown M rod edge finish to the M, F, UF progression.

I’m finishing likewise with a few light passes on a variety of different strops, pasted or sprayed with diamond or CBN compounds. The grit sizes range through the 10 - 6 - 3 - 1 - 0.25 - 0.1 μm range. The surfaces range from balsa, smoothside and roughside leather to hardwood. The plain, smoothsanded, Eucalyptus Regnans hardwood strop with 0.25 μm diamond paste produces a nice crisp finish for pushcutting off the Spyderco UF benchstone, after a couple of stropping passes on each of the previous grit sizes.

A quick test halving and sectioning a ripe tomato, showed the blade was pleasingly almost falling straight through the tomato skin and flesh before applying any pressure.

I tried a couple of light 10 μm strops on balsa, straight off the SM brown rods at 15 dps too, and that gave a nice bitey, medium coarse edge.

77519387-51C1-4BB0-B93C-E438E94A545F.jpeg
Oh, yeah! The food looks great.

Your sharpening skill and dedication are awesome! I love reading the details.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

K390
13dps
White rod microbevel plus 4micron strop
Angry laser
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

S30V
approx 14 dps
still very shy on my sharpening attempts, due to lack of practice and fear to randomly convex the bevel. Today I dared to go the whole 9 yards on my chief, starting with DMT fine and then extra fine hard plates, trying to imitate the technique used by BBB on one video about sharpening technique.
Watching that video motivated me to go with valor to the dmt stone.
Then I stropped on leather with 6, 3 and 1 micron.
The sharpness now is higher than factory edge, but not hair splitting yet. This little difference means a lot to me, as a beginner!
I whish I could encourage other beginners, like me, to dare to try out sharpening gear and techniques, not to be so afraid as I was. We learn so much in Spyderville and it can be so super cool to apply this knowledge to improve our pocket light sabers through our own effort and knowledge.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Explorador wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 pm
S30V
approx 14 dps
still very shy on my sharpening attempts, due to lack of practice and fear to randomly convex the bevel. Today I dared to go the whole 9 yards on my chief, starting with DMT fine and then extra fine hard plates, trying to imitate the technique used by BBB on one video about sharpening technique.
The sharpness now is higher than factory edge, but not hair splitting yet. This little difference means a lot to me, as a beginner!
I whish I could encourage other beginners, like me, to dare to try out sharpening gear and techniques, not to be so afraid as I was. We learn so much in Spyderville and it can be so super cool to apply this knowledge to improve our pocket light sabers through our own effort and knowledge.
Nice work, Explorador! It's very satisfying to get a good edge, freehand.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Cruwear, 15ish dps, finished with a 3000 grit diamond plate, then a f2000 ocb venev, stropped on 3 micron and .5 micron Gunny Juice horsehide strops. Those are relatively high grit stones, they actually produce a more aggressive edge than I traditionally get from a my F800/F1200 ocb venevs. The f2000 has some clustering issues which makes it a poor polisher, but it gives you a refined, yet more aggressive edge than you would expect from a 1 micron stone. I've been consistently whittling hair against the grain with this finish.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am
Oh, yeah! The food looks great.

Your sharpening skill and dedication are awesome! I love reading the details.
Thanks bro, I’m honoured you think so :)

I’ve sent you the recipe for that dish I prepped with the SB Stretch. ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Explorador wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 pm
S30V
approx 14 dps
Nice work, and good on you for taking the plunge! :cool: :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Steel: VG10
Angle: About 18 degrees inclusive bevel with 15 degrees per side microbevel
Grit finish: medium sharpmaker rods
Sharpness level: Broke down a few large cardboard boxes, batoned and cut some wood, and some misc utility work since it was sharpened. Hasn't lost shaving ability yet.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Two knives with me at work tonight.

Police 4 K390 LW - Factory edge angle behind the apex. It was fairly dull yesterday so today I did 15 strokes per side at 20 degrees with the diamond rods. It was shaving sharp off those so I didn't progress to medium as intended. Its about 95% sharp. Broke down some big cardboard boxes and cut some plastic wrap, but K390 dulls slow....

Vic 10" chef knife - The medium rods give me an edge that works well on food but needs touched up every other day with how much use the knife sees on the job. I did 30 strokes per side at 15 degrees with the diamond rod to reset the edge, no follow up. I sharpened it Thursday and it still slices ripe tomato like a champ. The more polished edge would be slipping off their skins by now. Edge is only about 75% sharp, no shaving ability, but it still cuts most things better than the medium finish at 90% sharpness.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

S90V (PM2)
15dps
Venev 800grit CBN
Sharpened yesterday. Still shaving sharp.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210314-224034.jpg
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

VG10 combination blade hand sharpened on an old DMT fine diamond block using Trend diamond hone oil that helps a lot. Don't know what the angles are but it cuts clean so I am happy.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

ZDP-189
13 DPS
1200 grit DMT diamond
Frozen sunbeam