Lube

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
allhatnocattle

Lube

Post by allhatnocattle »

Lube, there i said it...

Knife Pivot Lube, EDCI, Nano Oil, benchmade blue lube. Probably a few others i’m missing

Do you believe that these make a significant difference in the action of your knife vs like a clp,slp 2000, mpro-7 so forth and so on.

Or other oils like mineral or 3 in 1,the staple of my dad & grandad for just about everything with a hinge or spindle.

Or is it all just a fool and his money soon parted?
Evil D

Re: Lube

Post by Evil D »

I wasn't really sold on it.

viewtopic.php?t=84371

I still use it because I paid $22 for it but I won't be ordering more, I'll refill the tube with motor oil. I prefer bearing grease anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

I use sewing machine oil as my thin oil, bicycle oil as my thick oil and even bacon grease sometimes.
No snake oils.
Last edited by kobold on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I was first introduced to Millitec all the way back to 2003 era I immediately liked it. And I've stayed with it all these years. I've also found out in the past 8 years that Millitec also has a synthetic grease that is phenomenal.

I said back then if I ever find anything that beats Millitec significantly I'll immediately switch to that lubricant. But so far I've really been satisfied with their products.

Also I still like Sentry Solutions and all their maintenance products as well. But again if I ever find anything better I'll switch immediately.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

When I first got into Spyderco I looked online for Spyderco oil, was very surprised to see there is none.
Id have thought it would have been easy money for them, even if they got a 3rd party to make it.
Id have bought some for sure, instead I was forced to buy it from somebody else so I just got bench made bluelube.
I don't know how good it is in comparison to others but it seems to be ok, maybe a little bit on the thick side though.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Lube, grease, or oil, seems like a Pepsi or Coke question. ;)

Joking aside, I think that if you manage to buy a really good product, one type or the other, and apply it correctly (not too little, not too much, and all in the right spot), you will see satisfying results. If the product you apply them on supports them.
Last edited by archangel on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Salty Dog wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:54 am
When I first got into Spyderco I looked online for Spyderco oil, was very surprised to see there is none.
Id have thought it would have been easy money for them, even if they got a 3rd party to make it.
Id have bought some for sure, instead I was forced to buy it from somebody else so I just got bench made bluelube.
I don't know how good it is in comparison to others but it seems to be ok, maybe a little bit on the thick side though.
Interesting observation. Because when I got my very first bottle of Millitec it was at a Benchmade booth at one of the BLADE Shows in Atlanta. Benchmade completely endorsed it for a time. You would think that Spyderco would partner with some lube company if nothing else.

I guess a person's preference on lubrication products is similar to a "Ford vs Chevy" type selection. What works for one guy might be a disappointment to another guy. But again I'll stay with Millitec until someone proves to me beyond a doubt that they have a vastly superior product.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:04 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:54 am
Interesting observation. Because when I got my very first bottle of Millitec it was at a Benchmade booth at one of the BLADE Shows in Atlanta. Benchmade completely endorsed it for a time. You would think that Spyderco would partner with some lube company if nothing else.

I guess a person's preference on lubrication products is similar to a "Ford vs Chevy" type selection. What works for one guy might be a disappointment to another guy. But again I'll stay with Millitec until someone proves to me beyond a doubt that they have a vastly superior product.
Next time I order from a store that has millitec ill buy some and compare it to the benchmade, I'll get back to you.
Sounds like good stuff.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

For the last few years, I've been using KPL. It works great.. keeps my knives operating smoothly and it smells nice. Looks like the prices have gone up since I bought it last. Pretty sure I only paid around 9 dollars for my bottle of it.. now I see it going for $13-$15. Given how long a bottle lasts though, I don't think I'd let this price dissuade me from buying another..

I've tried a handful of them at this point.. as long as you're lubricating your knife, I don't really think there's a wrong choice here. The inexpensive stuff works close enough to as well as the expensive kinds as far as I'm concerned. Keeping with the car analogies.. a Toyota Camry and a Mercedes S Class may ride a little differently, but they'll both get you to your destination.. Buy what you're comfortable with.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Benchmade blue lube seems like mineral oil with some blue coloring in it to me. And considering I can pick up a quart of mineral oil for 3$ and a tiny dropper bottle of blue lube is 13$... both dry up faster than 3in1 or KPL.
ScarletFire

Post by ScarletFire »

https://www.super-lube.com/

Works very well and food grade safe (incidental contact).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've tried quite a few. Still working on my tube of Nano Oil I bought a long time ago to try. It lasts forever and I have no complaints. Is it better than something cheaper? Maybe not. Will I buy it again? Probably. $20 for a more than a decade worth of lube kinda puts the price in perspective. I still have over half a tube and it's been 5 years of exclusive use on dozens of knives. Can't say anything else I tried worked better.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Mineral oil, inexpensive, excellent performance and food safe...
normal

Post by normal »

I use fishing reel oil. It works great, is inexpensive, and has a good applicator. I have also used synthetic motor oil on my guns and knives effectively as well.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think there are plenty of options out there, but anecdotally, I've been quite happy with the little bottle of nano oil I bought. It's local, too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I use mineral oil for my Swiss knives, but I don't use any lubrication on my other folders. I'm not a fan of drop shut actions, and I prefer some resistance when opening and closing a folder, because I want it to feel like a deliberate action. This has worked for me for the past decade or so, and I see no reason to start using lube now.
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Being new to folding knives the following comment will likely be disproven quickly. Regardless... lubrication or no lubrication, a folding knife isn't likely to suffer a catastrophic failure. The action may become overly slippery, it could bind a little, however it's not going to seize-up and shatter at 6500RPM ;)

For the record, I used a single drop of pneumatic tool oil - as it's what I had at hand - to lubricate my Dragonfly 2 over a month ago. Still smooth and relatively clean.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Still haven't found anything better overall than the Nano-Oil products (i use them all)
Years ago at a Spyderco Amsterdam Meet i gave Sal a 10 weight syringe, maybe he will chime in with his experiences.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Victorinox multitool oil. Great stuff.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

Did I miss to state what I am using? I guess so.

Böker Oil Pen for moving parts (food safe!), and good old vaseline for blade conservation (obviously not for food prep blades, as there are articles saying that they could contain harmful carbon hydrides).
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...