Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Henry_P

Re: Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Post by Henry_P »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 pm
8LegLover wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:46 pm
I don't understand why this specific knife was released this way, I've never had a problem getting any other sprint run. maybe had to wait in a queue for a few minutes while the site crashes but atleast I knew exactly when the knife was going to be released.
Dealer exclusives are usually announced before day of sale. Sprints are dropped by dealers unannounced.

Yes there seems to be some confusion between exclusives and sprint runs.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
MattyOomps

Post by MattyOomps »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 pm
Hi Eratus, LLTD, Neatknife, Mtbiker, Mr Meeks, MattyOomps, Ripx,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for the frustrations. I believe part of the issue is the recent increase in demand for Spyderco products. Most of these projects are started a year or two before they are released so quantities are "guessed" base on current demand at the time the project begins. We'll have to be more creative.

sal
It’s not a fault on your end it’s more so BHQ sending in stock alerts after the product already sold out. I’ve been stalking this daily for weeks there since it had already sold out elsewhere, it was the last hope lol. Still looking to grab myself a shaman but I look forward to hopefully scooping up that crucarta PM2 production since I couldn’t snag me a shammy.

Keep making them great knives, there is obviously a very high demand for them.

Cheers
LLTD

Post by LLTD »

Thanks for the welcome, Sal!! I managed to get one at 290 on the secondary.. which was actually a fair price bc the guy that sold it to me bought 4 from lamnia at 277 each and honestly at 290 the price was fair lol lol he even provided receipts oh well at least I bc managed to get one... good luck everyone else, this knife was a real PIA to get, but I’m sure I’ll love it!!!! I’ve been seeing resell is slowly creeping up so I’d jump on one if you see one available..
Illumination

Post by Illumination »

sal wrote:

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for the frustrations. I believe part of the issue is the recent increase in demand for Spyderco products. Most of these projects are started a year or two before they are released so quantities are "guessed" base on current demand at the time the project begins. We'll have to be more creative.

sal
Another part of the issue is the scalpers are getting better at getting stock ahead of regular buyers. There is a single seller on e-bay now selling 4 of this knife. So many of us can't get one, and this guy alone is selling 4 right now!!

Can I humbly ask that you make a non-sprint version of this knife in brown or green micarta? I get it, will need to be a different steel... stock S30V would be fine...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Illumination wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:59 am
sal wrote:

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Another part of the issue is the scalpers are getting better at getting stock ahead of regular buyers. There is a single seller on e-bay now selling 4 of this knife. So many of us can't get one, and this guy alone is selling 4 right now!!

Can I humbly ask that you make a non-sprint version of this knife in brown or green micarta? I get it, will need to be a different steel... stock S30V would be fine...

I'd suggest Denim/K390 or OD Green/AEB-L for a production Shaman. I think either would sell exponentially better than something like Brown/S30V.

I will say too, I personally could have easily picked these up from over a dozen different dealers just from keeping an eye on this thread. I sit at my computer all day for work though so I know this isn't the same for everyone. I helped a few people on here and another forum by selling them some of the extras I picked up at cost plus a few bucks to cover my shipping. So just saying they definitely were not impossible to get at retail if you were motivated. I've seen at few sell on bladeforums for $275 as well, which is only $25 more than you would pay from a dealer after tax (some charge tax, some don't). Its just like anything scarce. If you want a 60" 4K TV for $100 you gotta wait in line on black friday, if you want ammo you gotta camp out in front of Academy Sports.

So it's not that you "can't" get one. It's that you didn't try hard enough and/or weren't motivated enough. You absolutely CAN get one very easily with zero effort. For $320 on ebay. The extra money is probably worth not dealing with the stress and time needed to get one at retail if you make over minimum wage.

That said, I do agree that this should have never been a sprint from the start, and especially not the 2nd time around, but it looks like they understand the demand now and the PM2 is a production model.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I've been gunning for Spyderco Sprints for years, and I think that it has become significantly harder to get a Sprint... demand has increased. I actually find it very difficult to get one these days because they sell out so fast. And that's looking between multiple different stores over multiple different days (to weeks). It just isn't very easy anymore... I also missed out on this sprint run, but I'll wait for another Shaman Sprint and try my luck again... hopefully this time a green micarta in Rex 45 ;)
Mr Meeks

Post by Mr Meeks »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 am
Illumination wrote:
sal wrote:

Welcome to our forum.

sal

I'd suggest Denim/K390 or OD Green/AEB-L for a production Shaman. I think either would sell exponentially better than something like Brown/S30V.

I will say too, I personally could have easily picked these up from over a dozen different dealers just from keeping an eye on this thread. I sit at my computer all day for work though so I know this isn't the same for everyone. I helped a few people on here and another forum by selling them some of the extras I picked up at cost plus a few bucks to cover my shipping. So just saying they definitely were not impossible to get at retail if you were motivated. I've seen at few sell on bladeforums for $275 as well, which is only $25 more than you would pay from a dealer after tax (some charge tax, some don't). Its just like anything scarce. If you want a 60" 4K TV for $100 you gotta wait in line on black friday, if you want ammo you gotta camp out in front of Academy Sports.

So it's not that you "can't" get one. It's that you didn't try hard enough and/or weren't motivated enough. You absolutely CAN get one very easily with zero effort. For $320 on ebay. The extra money is probably worth not dealing with the stress and time needed to get one at retail if you make over minimum wage.

That said, I do agree that this should have never been a sprint from the start, and especially not the 2nd time around, but it looks like they understand the demand now and the PM2 is a production model.
As someone who has been putting in lots of effort while holding a day job that is not amenable to sitting on your computer all day, zero effort is a gross overstatement.
LLTD

Re: Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread I

Post by LLTD »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 am
Illumination wrote:
sal wrote:

Welcome to our forum.

sal

FYI I was refreshing this forum and Reddit for the last 3 weeks and I was missing drop after drop each and every time.. same with k_s if you’re familiar.. missed every one by a few minutes.. sometimes I would depend on this forum and a thread on Reddit would come through first and I’d miss it lol lol lack of trying.. naaa man... I did get one, but Jesus it was tough and 40 bucks more than I was trying to spend.. oh well
brett1081

Post by brett1081 »

I was lucky to grab one from Omaha knives earlier in the release. The fact is not a single store had stock that lasted an hour. That is a huge issue. Online sales are so rife with resellers with notification and purchase bots that the online model really just irritates me. You have seen the same thing with electronics this year. I am resolved to get my gaming consoles in stores from now on and I would do so with knives if I had a good local store.

I think there does need to be more creativity in how manufacturers and stores release their material online. A simple captcha would work. The Omaha Knife store had a third party doing the monetary transaction, and I think that alone stopped a lot of bots.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

I 100% agree with steelcity16! This shouldn’t have been a sprint and most certainly not one that sold out this quick. This sprint run was done to make up for the shaman Cruwear having such a massive demand.... and same thing happened this time around. I admit I should have hung out on this thread more to nab one tho. I’m still perfecting the work/knife balance. Hahaha.

However I’m freaking delighted to see the micarta PM2 as a production model! As much as I’d love a Shaman in my collection, if I had to choose one, I’d kinda rather an 15th PM2. Haha
8LegLover

Post by 8LegLover »

I misunderstood the difference between sprints and exclusives and how they are released, looks like I'll only be buying exclusives. Sorry for the misplaced hate...
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

These sprint runs are nothing compared to Great Eastern Cutlery traditionals...any model, any handle material...30 seconds gone.

Actually made me lose interest in the brand. I'm loving the recent Spydercos sprints that I was lucky to find.
:usflag :respect
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m really excited about the production crucarta pm2! Considering hunting up a set of micarta scales for my cruwear millie since who knows when or if Spyderco will crucarta it. Dark forest green micarta.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Every time I see a new post in this thread, I'm hoping more have dropped. The last dozen posts have been very disappointing.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I bought mine early from a small shop. I would have rather bought it from DLT to get points, but if you want a sprint you cant wait for your favorite dealer.

All of you crying about not getting one, it sucks, but guess what, another model will come and you will like it just as much.

Today everybody gets a trophy win or lose, I dont think so.

Put in some effort and its not that hard, sure I missed a couple, but guess what? I dont sit and complain about it.

Its a knife, a tool, go kiss your wife, or your kids and enjoy life
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Rp5 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:22 am
Every time I see a new post in this thread, I'm hoping more have dropped. The last dozen posts have been very disappointing.
Im not sure how many dealers are left. I think its about to end
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Agreed, I think most have dropped.
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

double
Last edited by desmodue on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 am
I bought mine early from a small shop. I would have rather bought it from DLT to get points, but if you want a sprint you cant wait for your favorite dealer.

All of you crying about not getting one, it sucks, but guess what, another model will come and you will like it just as much.

Put in some effort and its not that hard, sure I missed a couple, but guess what? I dont sit and complain about it.
And if they want to express frustration and more importantly provide feedback that the market may support either another similar sprint or a production micarta/tool steel version, that's valuable information.

What are you adding to the conversation? There's always someone that acts like they have all the answers. You got lucky, you didn't cure cancer or end world hunger. To sit there and smuggly declare that anyone that missed one was lazy adds nothing to the conversation.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

desmodue wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 am

And if they want to express frustration and more importantly provide feedback that the market may support either another similar sprint or a production micarta/tool steel version, that's valuable information.

What are you adding to the conversation? There's always someone that acts like they have all the answers. You got lucky, you didn't cure cancer or end world hunger. To sit there and smuggly declare that anyone that missed one was lazy adds nothing to the conversation.
What am I adding to the conversation? Im being Smug?

A Sprint is a limited number of knives, 1200 I think. On the first page of this thread Sal said they made a few more of the Zwears and if you pay attention you have a pretty good chance of getting one.

Lucky I got one? Wasnt much of a chore. I woke up one morning, made a cup of coffee, clicked on a dealer link and they were in stock. I bought it and then alerted this thread that it was available at this dealer. I watched that dealer for like 30 minutes before it finally sold out. So I guess i did "add to the conversation"

Many others here help get sprints or exclusives also. @Buddafucco goes way above and beyond to help others posting links, thank you buddafucco!

If everybody could get one, it wouldnt be a Sprint, the *****ing, crying, and begging is ridiculous.

Get off my back and go attack someone else if thats your game.

Go kiss your wife and kids, enjoy life, its a knife/tool, you left that out of my quote!