Pass on the Pattadese

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
drkanafani

Pass on the Pattadese

Post by drkanafani »

Now, I know this is a Spyderco fan forum. I am certainly a fan. Got a bunch of them, from para 2 and 3 to spydiechef to other frn models. I thought I'd try out the new Pattadese. This is a pretty mediocre effort from Spyderco. On the plus side, it does have a nice form factor and it is lightweight. That's it, literally. For a $200 knife, it falls very short. First, the overall build quality and tolerances are poor. Scale/liner interface is sloppy. The blade grind lines are coarse, especially near the pivot. The lock is poorly designed and executed. Access is way too aft of the interface, requiring too much torque and pain to open. It has significant lock stick. In the closed position, the lock bar actually appears bowed; see picture. The detent is terribly weak. I disassembled the knife. It runs on very small bronze washers, which came dirty and burred from the factory. It is easy to center, I will say that. The hardware is decent. Overall, the knife feels cheap and not worth the asking price.
Attachments
IMG_1063.jpg
VooDooChild

Re: Pass on the Pattadese

Post by VooDooChild »

I got a pattada at a good price last year. However after having carried it a few times I realised the design wasnt really for me so I knew I wasnt going to get the pattadese.

I will say my pattada didnt seem to have these issues. Detent is fine, lockup is good, no lockstick, fit and finish is fine.

I actually think the design of the tang/lock interface/ stop pin interface of the pattada was very well thought out. Not sure if its the same on the pattadese.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There was another thread where others had issues with the Pattadese.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88975

I don’t know which knife maker in Maniago, Italy makes the Pattadese: FOX, LionSteel, Mercury and Tecnocut (Viper). I know SpyOpera is made by LionSteel. I’ve had knives from all four and their quality is consistently very good.
Last edited by RamZar on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My Pattada was well made, although overall it wasn’t a keeper for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd like to see more examples before I condemn the model, but for the asking price it should be expected that it will face closer scrutiny.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

drkanafani wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:55 pm
Now, I know this is a Spyderco fan forum. I am certainly a fan. Got a bunch of them, from para 2 and 3 to spydiechef to other frn models. I thought I'd try out the new Pattadese. This is a pretty mediocre effort from Spyderco. On the plus side, it does have a nice form factor and it is lightweight. That's it, literally. For a $200 knife, it falls very short. First, the overall build quality and tolerances are poor. Scale/liner interface is sloppy. The blade grind lines are coarse, especially near the pivot. The lock is poorly designed and executed. Access is way too aft of the interface, requiring too much torque and pain to open. It has significant lock stick. In the closed position, the lock bar actually appears bowed; see picture. The detent is terribly weak. I disassembled the knife. It runs on very small bronze washers, which came dirty and burred from the factory. It is easy to center, I will say that. The hardware is decent. Overall, the knife feels cheap and not worth the asking price.
First off welcome to the forum.
My experience was the total opposite. I was thinking about starting a thread about how much I like the Pattadese. The fit and finish are excellent (equally comparable to my Kapara). It does surprise with lightness. The action is the smoothest liner lock I have ever had. Easy to flick open but it is a bit stiff to close but I am confident it will get easier once broken in. It has a great popping sound when the lock engages For me the size is perfect. I have medium hands and I typically carry smaller knives. Just for reference I love the Native 5 and the Chaparral. I also love my Kapara but its is on the upper end of size for what I prefer and need. The execution on this knife is exactly what it was intended and works very well. Maybe you just got a bad one. I understand if the size and style is not your cup of tea. For me I am wondering how this is not more popular. Worth every penny IMHO.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

I have to be honest I was a bit worried when I heard these would be made in Italy, but my example is absolutely spot on build quality wise. I did ask for the retailer to check it for me first before sending it to me here in Australia.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m pleased to report the lock stick I was experiencing and mentioned in the other thread has now worked itself out after a few days of use and lots of fidgeting. Definitely a knife worth considering if you’re interested in the design. As for Maniago-made knives, other than this temporary lock stick on the Pattadese, all their other models have pretty phenomenal fit and finish.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Threads like these make me wonder what the OP's knife is really like. Is it actually as bad as they make it sound?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I did see that a popular reviewer had similar troubles when dissembling his knife, but it’s nothing that appeared to impede function in any way.
Just weird washers and tight liners that were difficult to take apart.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Mine is almost perfect.I ordered a backup. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
timlara

Post by timlara »

Sounds like the QC might be a little hit or miss on these, although hard to say without knowing the size of this first run that was made. My example is very well executed and has none of the issues that some people have mentioned. I like the design very much.
Tim
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

More like Passadese amirite?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sounds like a QC miss on that example. If you thought it was that bad, I wonder why you wouldn't return it rather than disassemble it? Have to wonder when a first post is just a negative review with no further interactions.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Drkanafani,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry your first post had to be a negative on the model, but there are also many positives and the model is selling well. Sorry you didn't like it, but that's why we make so many models. Hope you can find something we make that you like?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just received mine yesterday. The lock was very hard to unlock at first and I thought it might be a bur on the lockbar. On very close inspection it turns out the lock face is carbidized. This leaves a rougher surface than a machined edge and it requires break in. Viper Knives Lion Steel in Italy claims they carbidize all lock faces on liner locks and RILs. So maybe this is made by Viper Lion Steel for Spyderco, or other Italian makers have started to do the same.

The lock still has a bit of stick, however it is getting easier and easier. It's a bit off-putting on a $203 knife to have to break in the lock, but I got a good price so I'm less concerned than others. The blade is a thin FFG, so it is very slicey with a very fine tip. The knife is very comfortable in my hands as is the full size Pattada.

The design is excellent and I'm glad I have both sizes. It is not much mentioned here on the forum, but I suspect it will be a grail knife for some once it gets disco'd. If it does, that is. Now they need to make one with real rams horn scales!

Edited: It was Lion Steel who posted on BF about the lock face carbidizing, not Viper. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/car ... st-7597932
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001