Any chance for a Lil' Z-Cut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Any chance for a Lil' Z-Cut?

Post by archangel »

The title says it all. Wifey loves the Z-Cut blade shape and thinness, just asked if there was a similar knife with a shorter blade. Say around maybe 3.5"?

Who knows, when I suggested a larger version of the Counter Puppy, Sal immediately replied that it was already in-the-works... :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Re: Any chance for a Lil' Z-Cut?

Post by vivi »

Buy one and ship it to me. I can make it 3.5" in ten minutes.
:unicorn
araneae

Post by araneae »

vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:34 pm
With that thin stock, I'd make it 5 minutes.

I'd like one with a more traditional Paring blade and a slightly shorter length. And a heavier bladed bread knife...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

vivi wrote:

Well, that's a kind offer :p let's see: Z-Cuts are Made in Golden. Shipped to Europe and into my hands. I'll ship it back to you in the US, you shorten the blade, and ship it back to me in Europe. Knife crosses the Atlantic Ocean three times. I don't think that's good for the environment. :eek:

I hope that Sal sees (or has seen already) that there's a market for a Lil' Z-Cut.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:35 pm
vivi wrote:

Well, that's a kind offer :p let's see: Z-Cuts are Made in Golden. Shipped to Europe and into my hands. I'll ship it back to you in the US, you shorten the blade, and ship it back to me in Europe. Knife crosses the Atlantic Ocean three times. I don't think that's good for the environment. :eek:

I hope that Sal sees (or has seen already) that there's a market for a Lil' Z-Cut.
My point was, like dying a yellow salt black, its a lot more practical IMO to just shorten one yourself. Its a 5-10 minute mod.

In an ideal world we could each order whatever we want from a Spyderco custom shop. But in the meantime, certain requests make more sense for the user to take care of IMO. I'd prefer if Police 4's came ground with a 10 degree back bevel, but its a mod so easy to do myself I may as well take care of it on my own time.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'd like a 3-3.5" thin stock bg1n paring knife, but I wouldn't want the offset handle of the zcut on such a short knife. The offset Is really only useful if cutting against a board, and I don't do that with a knife that short.

I'd love a 8-10" zcut with slightly thicker stock for use as a bread knife as araneae suggested.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Seems like there’s decent demand for diversification of Spyderco’s culinary line.
I like the bigger and smaller Z-cut ideas.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

I'd prefer to wait a while and see the reaction to the model in the "Real World" for a while before making any changes or additions. As mentioned, easy to make shorter. Hard to make longer. Do you prefer the pointed version or the blunt version?

Hey Vivi,

Where do you live?

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Hi Sal,

As always, thanks for answering. Pointed is definitely preferred, in our kitchen the only not pointed knives are our bread knives and our dining knives.

How come you announced that a larger Counter Puppy series was already in-the-works so shortly after the initial (small!) version hit the market? ;) After all, it's "hard to make longer". Was the larger version planned right from the start? Just being curious.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:42 pm
My point was, like dying a yellow salt black, its a lot more practical IMO to just shorten one yourself. Its a 5-10 minute mod.

I own no benchstones or larger electrical equipment, just a Sharpmaker. I own some files, but no bench vise to safely fix a knife. Would be difficult for me to shorten even a thin blade.

We vent wishes for new knives or variations of existing knives here all the time. I don't read too many of these threads, but I can't say I remember many (if any) threads where the reply was "go do it yourself". If Sal thinks that an idea might have potential, good! If he replies that he does not see it (which he does from time to time), that's fine too. Every idea should deserve a chance, unless it's plain stupid. I don't think a Lil' Z-Cut would be plain stupid.
Michael
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:43 pm
I'd like a 3-3.5" thin stock bg1n paring knife, but I wouldn't want the offset handle of the zcut on such a short knife. The offset Is really only useful if cutting against a board, and I don't do that with a knife that short.

I'd love a 8-10" zcut with slightly thicker stock for use as a bread knife as araneae suggested.

Something like this?? ;)

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:

Something like this?? ;)

Yup, currently own this exact model (and oddly that same cutting board... Are you in my kitchen??) but I'd trade it for a Spyderco in bd1n in a hot minute.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

He Vivi---

Lots to be said for self reliance and good ole Yankee Ingenuity.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hey Archangel, I'll make one if you'd like to cover my costs to ship it to you.
Last edited by araneae on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:34 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:

Something like this?? ;)

Yup, currently own this exact model (and oddly that same cutting board... Are you in my kitchen??) but I'd trade it for a Spyderco in bd1n in a hot minute.
That's pretty much what I asked for a month or so ago.
-Nick

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

We got the idea for the "Puppy" from a knife-maker in Seki City. I liked the idea, but I didn't like his designs. We made a deal with him to pay him royalties for the idea, but that we would design our own models. We designed 3 sizes and even built a dog house for them. We decided to introduce the small one first to see reaction. The second size, is in my opinion an ideal table/steak knife. I planned, in addition to the general market, to market to Steak houses with their company names engraved on the blades. They could use them for their restaurants for guests and sell them as well. We began tooling the second size about a year ago, but everything is slow now due to Covid, even in China.

The 3rd size is longer still, and we'll need to decide on it after watching the reaction to the first two.

As you said, all ideas have merit. The decision to invest in an idea is always a gamble. We began with the current Z-cut in plain, serrated, tipped and blunt and offered a variety of colors. Now we study reaction. Is there enough demand for additional models in which to invest? Like the "handle forward" lock-back, which offers some advantages, is being tested with the "Rock Jumper".

Talkin' Story:

We designed our first "Z-Cut" model back in the early 80's. Planned it as a "Pitch" item to compete with the Ginsu knife. It was larger, maybe 9", serrated. There was nothing quite like it at the time. We made samples, but didn't have the horsepower to go forward with it and the Santoku, which we found in Japan. Now, 40 years later, most companies make a Santoku and many also make a Z-Cut of some type. My mother always told me that, "Necessity was the Mother of Invention". Hope that helps?

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sal, Sir, Your answer is all I could hope for, and more! :) Thank You!

@ araneae: I'll talk to the wifey, let her draw a line on our Z-Cut where she thinks her ideal Lil' Z-Cut blade should end, and post a pic. ;) I may take you up on your kind proposal. Many Thanks!
Michael
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’ve had a Z-cut for a few months. I’ve had trouble really deciding what I think about it. I have the serrated version. It feels a little too thin and flimsy. But far better to be too thin than too thick in a kitchen knife.

It takes some concentration to keep it from wandering in the cut. This is due to the chisel grind of the SE being on the wrong side of the blade (for righties). This makes it not very natural to use for quick tasks. If it were symmetrical or chisel ground on the other side it would work better.

The offset design seemed strange initially but it works fine.

I’d rather see this a bit longer as it makes a killer bread knife. There’s little else I prefer SE for in the kitchen. The points of the teeth snag on the cutting board.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hi Sal. I've bought about 15 Z-cuts over the holidays to give as gifts and of course I kept 5 for myself :D

I didn't buy any of the blunt tip, didn't see the need to not have a pointy side for opening food packaging.

All of the gift knifes were serrated because no one knows how to sharpen a knife, with the exception of one to my chef Uncle who Does know how to sharpen a knife and hates serrations. He loves the Z-Cut, he travels alot and it's a great travel knife, and at it's current price point easily replaceable. He likes the steel, said he'd never seen a 20 dollar knife that could hold an edge like that. He likes that the z-cut is similar to a chef knife in the handle to edge relationship. And likes the thin geometry as it works well for fish.

My self I prefer the serrated for my kitchen use. I really like the aggression of the thin blade with serrations. Even cutting up squash and zucchini I like the serrated. However carving meat, only plain edge will do for me. Much cleaner cuts with PE even at max sharpness for the SE.

Bottom line at the design, price, made in the USA, BD1N.... this is a big hit with me, and with everyone I have gifted one to.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

The z-cuts really do hold an edge well. My SE goes much longer between sharpenings than my PE Victorinox paring knives.