Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by JRinFL »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm
The long wait and the over-hype by the community is amplifying these issues, well for me at least. If this were a regular stock item it would be less of an issue, but a special one-time only piece will get extra scrutiny. I don't think I'm alone in this. Am I?

While I agree that these are special knives and everyone wants theirs to be perfect, I don’t think any knife that costs upwards of $200 should have these issues. Even my maxamet PM2 that I bought at last years seconds sale has a smoother action than my shaman.
I probably was not clear enough. I am in agreement with you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Allright keep in mind I can only comment on my knife but...

Do you guys have any other shamans?

Mine does have a slight scratching noise as well. It doesnt bother me. In fact I will bet that it goes away with use.

The QC is on par with all my other shamans and Golden made knives, as in its very good.

The compression lock pivot action is like that on all my other shamans. Its one of my biggest complaints about the design, they are a p.i.t.a. to tune perfectly. If you are off by a hair the action wont be right. I did notice on my older shamans once the knife breaks in more the action seems to be easier to tune.
My S30V model before and after the scale upgrade/change did not and does not have the same metal on metal sound. It does share the same sensitivity to pivot adjustment, however. Neither issue is going to make me send either one in for warranty repair. As you said, it will likely go away with use. It's just, disappointing.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
blues

Post by blues »

The M4 version I purchased from a member on another forum was essentially perfect in every regard, without a trace of side to side, or vertical movement. Plus it was dead on centered and exhibited no squeaking, binding or any of the other issues reported regularly to plague this version.

I very much wanted one of these, and was one of the early proponents...but am glad I didn't purchase one. It's not that any of the issues would prevent the knife from being useful or fully functional, only that it would bother me that Spyderco could have done better...and has done better in the past, even with knives offered at lower cost.

It is my opinion that they should have done a better job with QC before bringing them to market. This doesn't mean that I have less respect for the Glessers or Spyderco as a brand...or the Spydercos in my collection. It is simply my observation on this particular run of knives.
- Retired from the chase -
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for the best wishes!

Sorry for bad language, I apologize. I was so frustrated... nontheless, I should control myself.

The wife has picked up the Shaman from Post Office (not Customs Office) a few minutes ago. She'lI send me pics later. ;) I hope the docs approve that I can go home before Sunday, so I can FINALLY finger this beauty........ :eek: :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 am

Sorry for bad language, I apologize. I was so frustrated... nontheless, I should control myself.

The wife has picked up the Shaman from Post Office (not Customs Office) a few minutes ago. She'lI send me pics later. ;) I hope the docs approve that I can go home before Sunday, so I can FINALLY finger this beauty........ :eek: :D
Sending good healing vibes your way!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Oh boy... oh boy...
IMG-20210303-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20210303-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20210303-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20210303-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20210303-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20210303-WA0016.jpg
I wanna go home..............
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am
archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 am

Sending good healing vibes your way!

Thanks Julia, that's very sweet of you.
Michael
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm happy to see at least some of our European friends are getting some. Despite the difficulties getting Sprints in the States, it is relatively easy compared to how much harder it is to get them over there.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:28 pm
I'm happy to see at least some of our European friends are getting some. Despite the difficulties getting Sprints in the States, it is relatively easy compared to how much harder it is to get them over there.
I think the demand has been quite low here in Europe. Several shops had it in stock for days. Made me suspicious so I ordered it from two different retailers and canceled when the first one got shipped.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mine arrived today. No play, no unusual noises, no complaints. It’s a beaut!
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

I received mine today. Braced myself and was prepared to be dissatisfied with quality control/fit and finish due to quite a lot of negative posts here.

Guess there was no need. Action was amazing and 0 blade play. Was able to front flip it out of the box with almost no wrist. First time handling a Shaman. I’m almost worried it too smooth 😂
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mine is super smooth, no play, just like Sal intended it to be. My first Micarta knife, too. Feels really good!

The blade is a beast, thick and wide and perfectly shaped, totally down my alley! Could very well become my new personal best Sal design. :)

Comp Lock is as perfect as ever. My fav lock type!

It's hard to say which one I like more, the straight spine Millie family blade or the leaf shape of the Native family. I think it's a tie. :) Both are truly iconic!! Well done Sal, and thanks!!
Michael
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:28 am
Mine is super smooth, no play, just like Sal intended it to be. My first Micarta knife, too. Feels really good!

The blade is a beast, thick and wide and perfectly shaped, totally down my alley! Could very well become my new personal best Sal design. :)

Comp Lock is as perfect as ever. My fav lock type!

It's hard to say which one I like more, the straight spine Millie family blade or the leaf shape of the Native family. I think it's a tie. :) Both are truly iconic!! Well done Sal, and thanks!!
This is pretty much how I'd describe my Cruwear/Micarta Shaman. It's about as good as it can be

And I agree about the straight spine Millie family models and leaf shape Native family. I really like both
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
visionloss

Post by visionloss »

I'm glad to hear several others complaining about action grit/scratchy/screach issues. I'm dissapointed with my z-wear. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as my stock g10 model. QC should have noticed the poor action if they opened/closed it even a couple times. Unless this falls within their allowable range, which I can't imagine because all my other spydercos are super smooth. For this reason it is probably my least favorite out of my collection. Pretty dissapointing lack of quality for a really hyped sprint. I hope this isn't the direction spyderco is headed.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

visionloss wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:41 am
I'm glad to hear several others complaining about action grit/scratchy/screach issues. I'm dissapointed with my z-wear. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as my stock g10 model. QC should have noticed the poor action if they opened/closed it even a couple times. Unless this falls within their allowable range, which I can't imagine because all my other spydercos are super smooth. For this reason it is probably my least favorite out of my collection. Pretty dissapointing lack of quality for a really hyped sprint. I hope this isn't the direction spyderco is headed.

It will break in with use. Give it some time...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Danvp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:10 pm
visionloss wrote:

Or be impatient like myself and immediately tweak the pivot :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TJB

Post by TJB »

Both of mine have had similar issues to others on here. I took 1 apart and noticed a significant burr on the liner where the pivot goes through. I deburred it with a small file and it seems to be about perfect. I have not taken the second one apart to see if it has the same burr. If i do take it apart i will remember to take pictures!
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

It has arrived. One of the best NKD ever.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Danvp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:10 pm
visionloss wrote:

Ya I have noticed my shaman has already broken in some and is less scratchy then when I first unboxed it. I feel like whatever was causing the scratching is finally getting worn down. What is strange is that my blade centering seems to be correcting itself over time.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:21 pm
Or be impatient like myself and immediately tweak the pivot :p
Right, it can't be that hard to fix. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to mess with something brand new in this price range. I totally agree but, if it were me, I'd have it sorted out already.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!