Spyderco app new knife announcement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hvarcz

Spyderco app new knife announcement

Post by hvarcz »

Hi,

just suggestion - what about notification for Spyderco Sprint run in mobile app?
I think Z-Ware Shaman wasnt in app.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco app new knife announcement

Post by Evil D »

It most likely wouldn't be fast enough for some releases. It's probably better to know the release date and time and just be logged into that website ready to pounce.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

And the Sprints trickle out in batches, so all the app will tell you is that they are shipping to dealers at the initial release.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I second this. It would be nice to have a reliable source to know when Sprints are shipping out.
•• Beau
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I agree. One retailer has the Red Phoenix in stock, and eBay has at least one. Still nothing in Spyderco’s online store.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hvarcz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:44 am
I second this. It would be nice to have a reliable source to know when Sprints are shipping out.
Dude, you ARE the reliable source. We need a Buddafucco app. :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:44 am
Dude, you ARE the reliable source. We need a Buddafucco app. :D
L :D L ... It would still make it easier for me! I know there is probably a reason the app doesn't do sprint notifications, but I can't figure out what that reason is.
•• Beau
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

Thanks for welcoming Sal.

The think is that I live in central Europe, so when app give me notification, I have planty time to contact my vendors.
Best source for Eu availability is boker.de and youtube. Should be nice having notification from app. But I can live without it.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

hvarcz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 am
Hi,

just suggestion - what about notification for Spyderco Sprint run in mobile app?
Hi, hvarcz:
Welcome to our forum. We haven't included Sprint Runs in app notifications for many of the reasons others have shared. We're willing to reconsider, but we'd like to discuss it a little more. Sprint Runs tend to sell out rather quickly, and the notification could be seen as a negative thing if someone isn't able to get one. Some folks don't follow us quite as closely as others, and the app notification is sometimes the first time they're hearing about a Sprint (or even a new standard production model). Then when they try to find one and can't, the disappointment is palpable.

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on Sprint Run notifications in the app.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 pm
hvarcz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 am
Hi,

Hi, hvarcz:
Welcome to our forum. We haven't included Sprint Runs in app notifications for many of the reasons others have shared. We're willing to reconsider, but we'd like to discuss it a little more. Sprint Runs tend to sell out rather quickly, and the notification could be seen as a negative thing if someone isn't able to get one. Some folks don't follow us quite as closely as others, and the app notification is sometimes the first time they're hearing about a Sprint (or even a new standard production model). Then when they try to find one and can't, the disappointment is palpable.

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on Sprint Run notifications in the app.

Kristi

If there could be some way the app could notify us of which vendor has what sprint releasing on what day and time, that would at least consolidate it all into one app and make it easier for everyone to follow especially those who aren't glued to the forums or social media all day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:04 pm
If there could be some way the app could notify us of which vendor has what sprint releasing on what day and time, that would at least consolidate it all into one app and make it easier for everyone to follow especially those who aren't glued to the forums or social media all day.
Hey, David:
I wish we could do that, but the logistics would be immense. We don't have insight on when a dealer decides to release new product. Some release products immediately, and others tend to wait until the rush dies down. We also have dealers who purchase our products solely through our distributors. We don't know who has ordered what or how many. And we don't know how many a dealer may make available online or how many they've committed to customers through preorders. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not easy.

It's a complex challenge, but I'm happy to continue the discussion.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The new model notification stopped working in my iPhone Spyderco App. I tried removing it and reinstallling it but the issue persists.

It would be great if the app at least kept a log of when the notifications were sent.

Are the dates of these notifications the date the new model are shipped by Spyderco to dealers?

Obviously, it takes at least a few days (2-7) for these to arrive at dealers. Also, it seems like at first Spyderco sends a few to each dealer which has ordered that model and then the rest of their order a week or so later?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:02 pm
The new model notification stopped working in my iPhone Spyderco App. I tried removing it and reinstallling it but the issue persists.

It would be great if the app at least kept a log of when the notifications were sent.

Are the dates of these notifications the date the new model are shipped by Spyderco to dealers?

Obviously, it takes at least a few days (2-7) for these to arrive at dealers. Also, it seems like at first Spyderco sends a few to each dealer which has ordered that model and then the rest of their order a week or so later?
I don't think it's ever worked on my iPhone, at least not that I can recall. I just checked my notification settings in both the phone and the app. They're both set to allow the notifications. I also looked at the notification center in the app and there's none. It's my work phone so not a big deal. My personal phone is an Android and I do get the notifications with that and the notification center does show all previous notifications.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:09 pm
RamZar wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:02 pm

I don't think it's ever worked on my iPhone, at least not that I can recall. I just checked my notification settings in both the phone and the app. They're both set to allow the notifications. I also looked at the notification center in the app and there's none. It's my work phone so not a big deal. My personal phone is an Android and I do get the notifications in that and the notification center does show all previous notifications.

On my iPhone, in the Spyderco App under Settings, Notifications is ON.

On my iPhone, under Settings > Notifications > Spyderco > Allow Notifications is ON.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The notifications have been sporadic for me. I definitely haven't received a notification for every new model.
-Nick :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 pm
The notifications have been sporadic for me. I definitely haven't received a notification for every new model.

iPhone or Android?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sporadic for me as well on an iPhone.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I get the release notifications in my app on iOS, I just didn’t know sprint runs didn’t get posted in the app. Thank goodness I’ve been refreshing the Spyderco webpage for the Red Phoenix every hour or thereabouts. Uh, you guys WILL be getting it in stock eventually, right Kristi?

I don’t know the answer to this particular predicament, except to say that from PC graphics cards to Rolex watches to obscure Japanese imported toys, to Sprint runs, it seems that if you blink you miss them all. Nothing is more disheartening than seeing something you’ve wanted for a while come up for grabs, and you actually grab one, only to be “cart-jacked” in the very next screen and the item be sold out forever. Even pre-orders may not help, since those go just as quick as the item itself.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

So it's either people get upset that they weren't quick enough or they get disappointed that they miss out entirely. That's a tough call. I think i would rather have a chance by being notified rather than finding out that I'm late to the spydiehunt or missed the whole thing entirely. The notifications are the biggest appeal of the App to me. I'm on Android. For the most part I'm notified about regular production models. The variants slip by often.
•• Beau