There's something that's a little overdue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Re: There's something that's a little overdue

Post by TazKristi »

Thanks, Vivi for the nudge! Sometimes, it's hard to keep up. ;)

For those not seeing the new banner (or all of the new banner), refresh your page or clear your cache. You'll see it then.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:04 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 pm

:D

Well, Vivi... :)

I am confused, when I browse the forum it still shows the old “nearly twenty” banner.
Like Kristi mentioned you need to clear your cache. Same thing happened to me.

In your web browser click the menu.
Look for something like "clear private data"
Uncheck the boxes for saved passwords etc., and check cache and saved images
Clear them then refresh the forum

I had to do this too.
:unicorn
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Can confirm, clearing the cache did the trick.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Same here. I like the new banner. Helps that the Police is my favorite model.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Can I say that I find the bullets and gun magazine misplaced? This is a Spyderco knives' forum. No need to display weapon equipment.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm
Can I say that I find the bullets and gun magazine misplaced? This is a Spyderco knives' forum. No need to display weapon equipment.
The model is called the Police, so it makes sense to me.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sorry but that is a poor excuse to display weapon equipment....
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

There's a huge amount of overlap between people who purchase guns and people who purchase Spyderco. I think its just knowing their market. In the US just about every shop that stocks Spyderco and other high end knives also stocks guns.

I don't see how bullets are offensive either way. Maybe it comes down to cultural differences. Where I live most adults own a gun or 20, and many of them carry one day to day.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Same here. I like the new banner. Helps that the Police is my favorite model.

Funny, on my laptop I just see the bullets, but not the Police (only the tip of it) - see pic 1

On Mushrooms screenshot though all of the banner can be seen... see pic 2 :confused: :confused:

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

I won't complain further, as I am aware that I'm a minority, apparently. Just one last time: Spyderco could easily display "100% pain free" content next to their brilliant brilliant knives.
Michael
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deleted
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure I will have an opinion when I finally see the new banner. I probably won't share it though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:17 am
I'm sure I will have an opinion when I finally see the new banner. I probably won't share it though.

Whatever your opinion might be and if it may have anything to do what I wrote up in my comment above or not :)

What I am saying is: Regardless of personal opinions:

This banner will certainly be seen as kind of a statement for many - and perhaps as one that emphasizes the US market and US Spydie-folks more than the international ones. Just what it imho will be perceived for example here in Europe by many, and not at all reflecting necessarily my single, personal opinion.

BUT: Actually really not a big deal ;)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Don't want to get political, but to me, as a statement it says to me that we do not have to apologize for being an American who is protected by the second Amendment nor should we feel compelled to hide that fact.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:39 am
Don't want to get political, but to me, as a statement it says to me that we do not have to apologize for being an American who is protected by the second Amendment nor should we feel a need to hide that fact.

I totally get what you mean!! But this is not at all about "hiding" or "apologizing" (it sometimes IS INDEED in inner US discussions though!)

What I was saying is just: In Europe many don't know AT ALL that the "gun culture" in the US is strongly related to a constitutional right.

I personally watch a lot of US news, so I fully see and respect the background of this.
But many other Europeans don't keep being informed about the US. And so it is just a fact that many will find the connection "knife/gun" a bit weird and actually perhaps a bit as a statement for violence or an overall martial approach. Again, this is NOT about my personal opinion at all (!). Just a neutral report how it is here in Europe, regardless what I personally think of it.

Just saying that for the world wide community there'd be more neutral sujets. If Spyderco as a proud US company should care about that or if it is even good to give the banner a very US focused background: I can't tell!

And important: These are just general thoughts, I personally don't have a problem with the banner at all.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:13 am
archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm
vivi wrote: .....
I don't see how bullets are offensive either way. Maybe it comes down to cultural differences. Where I live most adults own a gun or 20, and many of them carry one day to day.

Tbh, I am not sure either if I think displaying bullets and magazine at the very top of the forum is the best choice.
It certainly is a bit controversial and kind of a statement too.

To be clear: I personally don´t mind it at all!!
The following are just general thoughts, and US forum brothers and sisters: Don´t underestimate how very different Europe is to most of the US concerning guns! In the US gun rights and so on are a rather huge issue, while in Europe not at all. In middle Europe really almost no one carries a gun, and there is practically no gun violence, at least no (mass) shootings)

- Yes, there certainly ARE cultural differences and many people in Europe will find that a bit unapropriate and unconnected, and it even might make them shy away a bit from Spyderco.
- So the banner could lead to people in Europe thinking that "Spyderco is not for them" but too much focused on US customers
- I think the banner perhaps is not really helpful concerning knife rights especially here in Europe: Knife restrictions are always argued with that "a knife is a weapon" while for most it is just a tool, but the connection to guns drawn in the banner could make people focus on the former (Again: This is about European cultural background!)
- All in all the banner could be seen as going a bit in the "political direction" already - something this forum generally avoids

Yeah europeans are less confortable with guns. Personally I don't mind, I always loved the gun culture from the US. It's amazing how much passion there is around the market and as a very passionate guy, I can feel it. Wish it was like that in Europe tbh.

Long life to Sal by the way. Always appreciated him and I've probably watched all of his interviews. A genuine great guy, even if we have our disagreements sometimes. I've always felt like I could speak to him honestly without holding back BECAUSE he's a great person. It also reflects on Eric. Maybe we could work on the Delica 5 together one day =P. I plan to visit when corona stuff settle a little, I hope we'll be able to meet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:28 pm
Sorry but that is a poor excuse to display weapon equipment....

Knives aren't weapons? :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

I like to think of them primarily as tools rather than weapons. Don't you?

Try cutting with a bullet. Bullets only have one purpose.
Michael
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Unreal... Spyderco crew, the update looks great and more modern! Coming from an American that doesn't even own a gun.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 am
I like to think of them primarily as tools rather than weapons. Don't you?

Try cutting with a bullet. Bullets only have one purpose.

I do, but you can also just as easily be murdered by a hammer, screwdriver, rock or stick. I could beat you to death with a textbook if I tried hard enough. An object isn't a weapon until it's used as one. Shooting is even in the Olympics and nobody does. I take my family to the range to shoot and we have a blast shooting targets, it's literally wholesome family fun. My guns have never been used as a weapon just as your knives haven't but if either of our lives are threatened I bet we'd use whatever it takes to stay alive, and if you say you wouldn't then maybe I just value my life more than you do yours.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David