Caly3: my favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by kennethsime »

I agree, the Caly 3 is perhaps one of the best pocket knives ever designed. It's comfortable, capable, and carries well. I always wanted one of the ZDP/420J laminate models with carbon fiber, but those are discontinued now I believe.

If you're interested, there's a Green G-10 Hap40 Caly 3 over at Bento Box Shop. I've been tempted a few times, but have yet to pull the trigger.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
attila

Post by attila »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm
attila wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am
I really like the aesthetics and ergonomics of the Caly 3, but of the 3 that I have owned, they have all had too much lock-rock.

Despite the flaw, I do miss my HAP40 version and still have the Superblue version.

I still hope that we get a HAP40 Caly 3.5 someday.
I think we've probably discussed this before but...I just checked my Caly 3 & 3.5 by pressing the edge in a block of wood. No real issues with either. I can feel a tiny bit of movement but it's not enough that I see the lock bars moving up and down. I have Seki lock backs that have more movement than either of my Calys. None of them or so bad that I detect the lock rock in use. I've never even felt movement when whittling wood. Non-issue for me
I definitely feel movement even when cutting regular cardboard, but your account is certainly reassuring for future Caly models I might own! Thank you for taking the time to check.

I ended up nearly eliminating the severe lock-rock from my Superblue Caly 3 by adding a couple of pieces of cartridge brass into the pivot area to take up the slop in the D shaped pivot/pivot hole. So, if I get another sloppy Caly, I now know how to fix it.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Caly 3 is great! Despite all the newer models in circulation, I still carry one of these often.

The UKPK is another winner from the same family. With its thin 2.5mm blade I actually like it even better than the thicker Caly 3. For my usual EDC tasks the lack of a lock has never been an issue.

My two Caly’s have minimal blade play, but that is not even a possibility with the UKPK’s! :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My older Caly3 never had any blade play. There is only the tiniest amount of lock rock and you have to be looking for it. These knives went through a lot of qc problems in the last years of production, which is why I never bought another one, thought I dearly wanted to do so.

The fit and finish on these older ones were so good it was hard to believe. There is zero gap between back spacer and liners and between lock bar and liners. Without a glass, you cannot tell where one begins and the other ends. Amazing. Not only that, but everything has had the sharp edges buffed off. There was nothing, nada, that I needed to do with the knife to make it just right.

Sal, please bring back the Caly3 and 3.5 with that level of quality. I'd like forest green G10 and 204P.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think my liking the Caly3 so much is what makes me like the thinner bladed UKPK and Urban so much.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome knife for sure. I carried the Superblue version for a few years. Amazing ergos

My issue with the knife is that after A LOT of sharpening, the tip starts to get exposed from the handle when closed.

The tip of mine I just barely inside the handle so I sadly dont carry it anymore
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Holland you may be able to fix that by filing down the kick on the ricasso. Used to be done all the time on slip joints back in the day.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I love my "Caly" family.
IMG_20210113_115014_copy_1024x768.jpg
The CF version is a little bit slippy.
The HAP40 G10 is perfect.
I whish there will come a new sprint someday.
The UKPK is also perfect as slipit.
The Calypso Jr. is also very cool, it whould be perfect whith jimping on choil and at the back (thumb rest).

ASF
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm okay with new designs, but some of the older ones like the Caly3 are superior designs that need CQI-ing and brought back out new, fresh, better.

The Caly3 would be better as a Golden knife with a Golden back lock. But the Japanese knife is clearly a great knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Thread needs a toothy Caly 3

Last edited by PSquared on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Agreed; Caly 3 (and 3.5) are my favorites. My most frequently carried EDC is a Caly 3 in VG10. The 3 is a bit more pocket friendly than the 3.5 so sees more usage. Here are a few "pre-need replacements" lined up for the unhappy day I lose my main carry...but knock on wood, I've not lost my first one yet (top left).

Really looking forward to the upcoming LW Caly with screw construction...

Last edited by Bolster on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Double post
Last edited by PSquared on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

finger trouble editing typo in previous post
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:56 pm
Agreed; Caly 3 (and 3.5) are my favorites. My most frequently carried EDC is a Caly 3 in VG10. The 3 is a bit more pocket friendly than the 3.5 so sees more usage. Here are a few "pre-need replacements" lined up for the unhappy day I lose my main carry...but knock on wood, I've not lost my first one yet (top left).

Really looking forward to the upcoming LW Caly with screw construction...

One of these things is not like the other :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

What about a Crucarta Caly3 ?! Pure awesomeness :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That would be sweet!

I still like stainless for a knife that sees a lot of pocket time because of sweat and junk that get into pocket knives. I'd still like that uber dark forest green and 204P/M390. But, CruCarta would be pretty cool, there is no denying that.

When the LW comes out I am going to buy a back up.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Never held a Caly or UKPK. I do, however, have an Urban. The lines look similar between an Urban and a Caly. Could the Urban be a mini Slipit Caly?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Definitely one of the greats. Still my go to if I need to dress up.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:36 am
Never held a Caly or UKPK. I do, however, have an Urban. The lines look similar between an Urban and a Caly. Could the Urban be a mini Slipit Caly?
For my urban life style the Urban is superior to both the Caly3 and the UKPK being way thinner behind the edge and more compact
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:58 am
That would be sweet!

I still like stainless for a knife that sees a lot of pocket time because of sweat and junk that get into pocket knives. I'd still like that uber dark forest green and 204P/M390. But, CruCarta would be pretty cool, there is no denying that.

When the LW comes out I am going to buy a back up.
I could get behind a dark forest green 204P. Love green!!