Manix 2 Chop????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Manix 2 Chop????

Post by vivi »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
Seems to be a lot of threads about making particular models "lil" and "mini" I really don't get it. A certain knife is designed to be exactly as it is, the Manix is a great seller...why would they change it or make another variation when they already have 30+ models of other knives in that "lil" "mini" size as it is with a 2.75"-2.97" cutting edge. Granted anything with the cbbl is a rare find, but that size range in question, pretty sure Spyderco has their bases covered ten fold. Another 2.93" cutting edge on a 6.9693" overall knife *yawn*. Keep em big and beautiful :p
But some people have lil pockets or lil hands. #lilknivesarecooltoo #mostspydercomodelsarenotlil #waitingforpeopletochimeinaboutneedingmorexlknives
Can't argue that, especially for all the ladies out there with their "pockets" you can squeeze a couple fingers into if you're lucky!

Just saying I'm not a fan of downsizing knives into a size range that there are already plenty of other options readily available. Though I know there have been some MAJOR hits (lil native ;) )

I don't think every knife has to be big and murdery, but it seems a lot of knives from all sorts of companies seem to be going smaller again?? Could be another trend. I'm no business man!
I'm sure next year it will be a trend of all the knives going xl. Sal did mention a major change to the Police model in the future. That's a pretty big knife...
One could only hope. That's a trend I could support :p
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm
I'm sure next year it will be a trend of all the knives going xl. Sal did mention a major change to the Police model in the future. That's a pretty big knife...
One could only hope. That's a trend I could support :p

Same here.
Can´t think of any model right now I´d want to see as a smaller version
But of quite some I´d like to see "grow" - my number 1 here, no surprise: Chaparral XL! :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Actually the "base" S30V Manix still comes with full liners. :)
Yes, you’re right. I’d forgotten about that.

Strange that the base model continues to be made with full steel liners.

I’ve never felt my 52100 or Cruwear Manixes suffered from any lack of strength or rigidity from having skeletonised liners.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Actually the "base" S30V Manix still comes with full liners. :)
Yes, you’re right. I’d forgotten about that.

Strange that the base model continues to be made with full steel liners.

I’ve never felt my 52100 or Cruwear Manixes suffered from any lack of strength or rigidity from having skeletonised liners.
Yeah, right?

I really like S30V, it's a pretty much perfect folder steel for me.
But I'd prefer the lighter weight all the other G10 Manix versions have.
Perhaps they don't drill out the "base" Manix liners in order to keep production costs lower?
Though, thinking about it: Sometimes bit more "heft" feels nice in hand too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 am
I really like S30V, it's a pretty much perfect folder steel for me.
But I'd prefer the lighter weight all the other G10 Manix versions have.
Perhaps they don't drill out the "base" Manix liners in order to keep production costs lower?
Though, thinking about it: Sometimes bit more "heft" feels nice in hand too.
Seeing this made me think of a reply you sent to my post the other day, and I don't think I responded. When I said I wasn't always the biggest Manix fan that I am today back when I got started with Spyderco knives. That was because I wasn't really sure what I was looking for in a folder and wanted to try the different locks, models, materials. The DLC Manix LW with BD-1 was my first Manix and 2nd overall Spyderco knife. After having the Sage 5, PM2 and Chaparral...the Manix LW felt expendable, I wasn't really carrying it much besides for when we were camping. I liked the ergos, but didn't like that frcp material.

Fast forward another year or so and DLT dropped their 20CV exclusive. I liked the red scales and decided to give the Manix another shot, because I knew I loved how the ergos were a fit for me and was hoping a G10 version was the answer for me...and boy was it ever ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
StrawberryRocketFuel

Post by StrawberryRocketFuel »

Love the style and ergos of the Manix 2 but I don't need a blade that big. Most folks don't need a blade that big (usually just use a few inches of it). Just seems extra for me to have it that big.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StrawberryRocketFuel wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:25 pm
Love the style and ergos of the Manix 2 but I don't need a blade that big. Most folks don't need a blade that big (usually just use a few inches of it). Just seems extra for me to have it that big.

I would really not say "most" folks... a longer blade, especially a longer cutting edge has many advantages. More than one might think of at first.

I love my two Manix LW, but tbh: The only thing I don´t like are their (for me!) rather short cutting edges.

/ And as I´ve elaborated before in this thread: If you hold your Manix always with one finger in the choil anyway, a smaller version in the exact shape will be fine for you!
But if you grip it on the actual FRCP or G10 handle: A shrunken version in the exact same shape will have pretty dramatical different ergos, since your hand will not fit between "guard" and "rear hook" anymore.
For me personally this would even ruin the great ergos of the Manix 2.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can get by with a blade that size but not a handle smaller than a mini manix. The handle already feels too small gripped behind the index choil, which is why I prefer the XL version.
:unicorn
StrawberryRocketFuel

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:13 pm

I would really not say "most" folks... a longer blade, especially a longer cutting edge has many advantages. More than one might think of at first.

I love my two Manix LW, but tbh: The only thing I don´t like are their (for me!) rather short cutting edges.

/ And as I´ve elaborated before in this thread: If you hold your Manix always with one finger in the choil anyway, a smaller version in the exact shape will be fine for you!
But if you grip it on the actual FRCP or G10 handle: A shrunken version in the exact same shape will have pretty dramatical different ergos, since your hand will not fit between "guard" and "rear hook" anymore.
For me personally this would even ruin the great ergos of the Manix 2.
Def didn't mean to say a longer blade has no use. I guess Im coming from the "open a box/letter" crowd. But f your doing light house work or mowin down cardboard the longer blade is preferable. The Sage 5 is a perfect size for me but I like the manix look and cbbl more.
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Hey Strawberry, took me a while to find this post but is this maybe what you want? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59100
StrawberryRocketFuel

MMGRenovations wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:16 pm
Hey Strawberry, took me a while to find this post but is this maybe what you want? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59100
Thanks MMG! I had come across this before but its actually too small for me. Im looking for more of an ever so slight downsized version, proportionally in all areas. I guess im too picky haha or maybe what im envisioning won't actually work :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Def didn't mean to say a longer blade has no use. I guess Im coming from the "open a box/letter" crowd. But f your doing light house work or mowin down cardboard the longer blade is preferable. The Sage 5 is a perfect size for me but I like the manix look and cbbl more.

Yes, a Sage with CBBL would be great... So essentially a "Sage 6". Not totally unrealistic, since the Sage series was meant to display various lock types.
Till then, the Sage 3 is the closest to a CBBL Sage you can come right now... :)

/ And sure, if one carries a knife primarily or almost exclusively for "box/letter" opening a smaller size is the sensible choice! :)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I thought I posted on this a few days ago but apparently not. I would love more CBBL locks. But I don't think we need a "chopped" Manix. A redesigned Q-ball with the CBBL and an option of a leaf shaped blade would fill that niche nicely (yes, I keep bringing this up I know). I would be satisfied with the bolt lock though. And a Sage 6 would work for me also since that may be my most carried model.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

If you are interested in a CBBL Sage, let Sal know by quoting him in this other thread.
sal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm
We have "Button Lock" planned , but capacity is an issue.

What other locks would you like to see on Sages?

sal

Enactive wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm
We have "Button Lock" planned , but capacity is an issue.

What other locks would you like to see on Sages?

sal
CBBL would be cool.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Here's a Manix chop I just did for a customer, w/ 2 alt blades:

izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

That looks so awesome. You shortened the blade and the handle. Very classy. I really like the shape and feel of my standard Manix 2 but I feel as though it is a bit on the heavy side and a little long to use as an EDC. If I had a Manix that size, I'd use it as an EDC. Thanks for sharing.
StrawberryRocketFuel

DigDug72 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Man that looks great!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

DigDug72 wrote:

Bravo!

As usual, excellent work. Both look great.

:cool: :cool: :spyder:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Maybe Spyderco will license or do a collab production run of DigDug72's "bobbed" Manix 2.
StrawberryRocketFuel

DigDug72 wrote:

Sweet!! What are the new dimensions?