Spydercos for steak knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywalker

Spydercos for steak knives?

Post by Skywalker »

I'm looking at getting a new set of steak knives and was considering some Spydercos for the task.

Specifically, I'm thinking maybe the
- K05 4.5" utility
- Z-Cut (pointed)
- Bow River

Counter Puppy seems a little small, and I'm not sure about being able to cut on a plate with it given its legs. Bow River is borderline just because it's so thick compared to the 1.5mm or less K05 and Z-Cut. The wife already said she was fine with the Z-Cuts looking weird as long as they're kept sharp, so no issues there. I'd probably be leaning strongly towards the K05 but the Z-Cut being US-made with BD1N for $20 makes the decision a lot harder. My wallet would much rather pick up 6 of those...

So, any thoughts/feedback on the above models as steak knives?

Also, should I go with serrated models if they're going to be beat up on ceramic plates, or is it possible to keep the plain edge versions in decent shape and sharpness with diamond sharpmaker rods and a little attention?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Spydercos for steak knives?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Z cuts are phenomenal for the price! We have one of each in PE and SE, my wife just about always reaches for the SE. These have become our two most used kitchen knives since I got them a couple months ago. Great steel that is so easy to get crazy sharp too.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

We got a couple of the K05s for Christmas to use as steak knives. They’ve worked well so far.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'll second the z-cuts! We have both edge types and they do great work and work great on the cutting board. After about a years work I probably should touch them up....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Funny this subject would come up. Because recently a friend came over with some super good Kansas City Bar BQ. He brought some ribs and brisket along with an ocean of great Bar BQ sauce :cool: Just in case most of you aren't aware we consider our home town of Kansas City, Missouri the Bar BQ capitol of the World :cool: Well we're up there in any case.

I happen to have my full SE Catcherman handy and I used it to cut up all this divine food and I got to thinking that the Catcherman also makes a superb steak knife when needed. Actually I think I'm now going to keep one of my Catcherman models handy in case this were to happen again any time soon. The FULL SE Catcherman from the AUS -8 era is a super food cutter for sure.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Z-Cut makes a great steak knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

You don't need the pointed zcut, it'll just get blunted cutting on a plate. I'd vote serrated blunt tip.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The only Spyderco I'd intentionally use as a steak knife is the K05 serrated.
Never handled a Z cut, they seem awkward to use on a plate with a fork.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I too am looking for new steak knives. Don’t want to spend $$$ on a set, but want to avoid Chinese junk. That’s what we have now. I’ve been considering Wusthof, Mora and Spyderco. The K05 went up in price, it’s far too much to go for a set of 6. Or maybe it was on sale when I ordered one for my mom.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:15 am
The only Spyderco I'd intentionally use as a steak knife is the K05 serrated.
Never handled a Z cut, they seem awkward to use on a plate with a fork.
I own and use a couple of K-05 Spyderco kitchen models and they are nice. But even as good as they are they don't compare to the functional aspects of the Catcherman in full SE. But having a pair of K-05 models would be ideal for most meat cutting chores at meal time. No argument here :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'm kind of a minimalist. I've got a S90V mule team knife in the kitchen that I use as a paring knife and a steak knife. No handle but still works fine. Can't say I recall ever sharpening it. I really should one of these days. Full disclosure, I don't slice a lot of tomatoes.
sal

Post by sal »

Serrated K05 or serrated Z-cut. I don't think anything would work better as a steak knife. We're working on a serrated Counter Puppy that's the next size up that I designed to be steak knife for commercial Steak Houses, but it won't be out for a while.

sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

A larger Counter Puppy seems nice.
I’m fond of the design, so I’ll be looking forward to it.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Awesome, sounds like K05 or Z-Cut is indeed the right way to go if the man himself is onboard.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I use an SE Aqua Salt, and it works perfectly. I love being able to put it in the dishwasher without any worry. If you’re buying multiple steak knives, though, I’d go with the SE Z-Cuts.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Quick update for those who find this thread searching in the future - I did grab both a SE K05 and a SE/pointed Z-Cut about a month ago. Been used on plates for red meat a couple times and chicken a lot, as well as on cutting boards occasionally for prep.

They're both great as steak knives but the Z-Cut has seriously impressed me and I'll be getting more, to round out a set of 4 or 6. Thin serrated edge cuts very well (as expected), offset shape works as well to keep fingers clear of plates as it does cutting boards, and my wife likes it as well (I've been encouraged to get some more colors). For that performance, half the price of the K05, and US-made, I'm all in.

My only caveat would be that in harder foods, the thinner Z-Cut does flex noticeably and doesn't cut quite as straight as a result. Noticed this more in prep than on plates. So, maybe stick with the K05 if you like your steaks burnt and full of gristle.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Skywalker wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:10 pm
Quick update for those who find this thread searching in the future - I did grab both a SE K05 and a SE/pointed Z-Cut about a month ago. Been used on plates for red meat a couple times and chicken a lot, as well as on cutting boards occasionally for prep.

They're both great as steak knives but the Z-Cut has seriously impressed me and I'll be getting more, to round out a set of 4 or 6. Thin serrated edge cuts very well (as expected), offset shape works as well to keep fingers clear of plates as it does cutting boards, and my wife likes it as well (I've been encouraged to get some more colors). For that performance, half the price of the K05, and US-made, I'm all in.

My only caveat would be that in harder foods, the thinner Z-Cut does flex noticeably and doesn't cut quite as straight as a result. Noticed this more in prep than on plates. So, maybe stick with the K05 if you like your steaks burnt and full of gristle.

Thanks for the follow-up.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pm
I'm looking at getting a new set of steak knives and was considering some Spydercos for the task.

Specifically, I'm thinking maybe the
- K05 4.5" utility
- Z-Cut (pointed)
- Bow River

Counter Puppy seems a little small, and I'm not sure about being able to cut on a plate with it given its legs. Bow River is borderline just because it's so thick compared to the 1.5mm or less K05 and Z-Cut. The wife already said she was fine with the Z-Cuts looking weird as long as they're kept sharp, so no issues there. I'd probably be leaning strongly towards the K05 but the Z-Cut being US-made with BD1N for $20 makes the decision a lot harder. My wallet would much rather pick up 6 of those...

So, any thoughts/feedback on the above models as steak knives?

Also, should I go with serrated models if they're going to be beat up on ceramic plates, or is it possible to keep the plain edge versions in decent shape and sharpness with diamond sharpmaker rods and a little attention?
I have the Z-Cut and Bow River both with the plain edge. The Bow River makes a good steak knife. The Z-Cut would work for that but the Bow River is much stouter. The Z-Cut is excellent for light dicing/chopping etc. I keep them both in the Kitchen and they have done great.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Z Cuts basically are steak knives, they're the exact same size and work quite well for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When my wife and I are eating casually (plate in lap in front of TV), as has long been usual, I’ve taken to using my SE Pacific Salt. Nothing resists it, no matter how little I try.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”