Caly3: my favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly3 is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. I was looking to replace a Leek because it kept opening in my pocket, even after torquing the safety down so tight it became a two handed knife. Me criteria were simple. It had to be the same size, good steel, as thin, and a back lock. I stumbled upon the Caly3 and took a gamble. Well, I was wowed! It is the same basic size as the Leek and very thin. You can see below it has the same thickness as a Dragonfly. It had great steel, had a strong backlock, and a stouter blade that still cut well. The huge pivot and thicker stock let me know this was no sissy knife.

Classy lines.

Only slightly longer than a Chaparral.

Looks good with accessories.

Slightly shorter than a Delica and thinner.

As thin as a Dragonfly.

I carried it for years but now it is sadly no longer in production. I am hoping for a new version. This is one of the best knives Spyderco ever produced, I believe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JMM

Re: Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by JMM »

That's super cool to see / hear, thank you! I'm not a fan of pinned knives & as a rule I've completely steered clear of them, but I have a Caly3 w/a SE FFG VG-10 blade OTW to me right now. I just looked at every possible characteristic (which you cover beautifully above) I could from a half dozen photos and decided it was worth the plunge... Can't wait! (actually right now USPS is sorta mandating that I wait)

I'll post a follow up when it arrives. ;)

:D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice write up an pics, Doc!

Never had a Caly 3 myself, but it has a lot to like!

And I think people who miss a choil on the Delica (though I personally do not) could love the Caly 3: Backlock, as you said even a bit shorter (by 5mm) and thinner than the Delica, choil, and still a bit more cutting edge.
What I don´t like: Deep carry clip. But on such a short folder I could live with it or replace it with a NON deep carry wire clip (like the Manix has).

The "problem" of the Caly 3 for me is: The Caly 3.5! ;)

THIS thing has the exact closed length as a Delica (according to the specs of the CF version) - 4.25", but packs the cutting edge of a PM2 in there - about 3.1".
I am not THAT much into perfect closed length / edge ratio as I was, but when I can have it I´ll take a longer edge and think it makes a folder more versatile. And so the 3.5, closed really not much longer than the 3, but offering clearly more edge (again, roughly like PM2 vs Delica!) "beats" the 3 for me. Can´t wait for the LW version of the 3.5, but hope of course a LW 3 will follow!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PS: Since you mentioned the DFly:
Never noticed that the Caly actually has a pretty "dfly-ish" looking thumb ramp. Not quite there yet, but closer than most other Spydies.
Just an observation, not saying this is either good or bad.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great thread. I often carry the 3 and the 3.5. Really fantastic designs. Could live you're whole life that with either of those.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I agree! My Caly 3 SE has long been a summertime BBQ & picnic favourite. It is so very capable but unthreatening. I do wonder how it will fare against the new UKPK Salt SE when that arrives, though.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bento Box still has the green g10 / HAP40 Caly 3, just FYI. I’ve been eyeballing it for some time.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Still patiently waiting for the next evolution of the Calypso family. I'll even take a G10 Urban (which is a chopped and channeled UK, which is a slip joint Caly3)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

My HAP40 sprint Caly 3 is the ideal version for me. The steel, and dark green G10 scales, perfectly complement Sal’s classic :spyder: design :)

I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is one of the few knives that I actually like the choil on. Genius design. The handle does not have any weird points or odd spots on it. It is super comfortable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Two words to getting as close to perfection as possible!!!

Caly 3 FRN / UKPK FRN Backlock

Then, an assortment in a dozen different steels and colors...

Heaven,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

Yes! The Caly is a comfortable and classy workhorse and feels like classic Spyderco to me. It also feels like a bigger brother to the Chap.

I have two back-ups of model C113CFPE that are intended as gifts when I find the right giftee.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The HAP40 Sprint was one of the most anticipated drops for me. The drop was delayed and when it finally happened I became anxious waiting for my pre-order to ship. So I ended up with two. I sold my back up in a minor purge awhile back and now I'm kind of regretting it. My user is starting to get a little beat up (the SS back spacer has some scars, etc) and it would be nice to have a fresh one to fall back on. A different version would be nice too ;)

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am
My HAP40 sprint Caly 3 is the ideal version for me. The steel, and dark green G10 scales, perfectly complement Sal’s classic :spyder: design :)

I never noticed that on the press photo of the C113GPGR the text under the Spyderco logo only says "HAP 40" instead of "HAP40/SUS410"
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I love the caly 3 and 3.5. I have two of each. The pinned construction is no big deal to me because the pivot is not pinned and the blade is super easy to remove to clean the pivot. No washers to worry about and no fitting of a backlock spring between two handle halves under pressure like with the endura and delica.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have the ZDP/CF version. It's an amazing knife, and one I'll never voluntarily get rid of. Super classy and non threatening, but still super ergonomic and high performance. I love it.
attila

Post by attila »

I really like the aesthetics and ergonomics of the Caly 3, but of the 3 that I have owned, they have all had too much lock-rock.

Despite the flaw, I do miss my HAP40 version and still have the Superblue version.

I still hope that we get a HAP40 Caly 3.5 someday.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

We will see more Calys, especially in K390 someday. I hope the lightweight version brings it back to the popularity it deserves. Hands down my favorite model.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

attila wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am
I really like the aesthetics and ergonomics of the Caly 3, but of the 3 that I have owned, they have all had too much lock-rock.

Despite the flaw, I do miss my HAP40 version and still have the Superblue version.

I still hope that we get a HAP40 Caly 3.5 someday.
I think we've probably discussed this before but...I just checked my Caly 3 & 3.5 by pressing the edge in a block of wood. No real issues with either. I can feel a tiny bit of movement but it's not enough that I see the lock bars moving up and down. I have Seki lock backs that have more movement than either of my Calys. None of them or so bad that I detect the lock rock in use. I've never even felt movement when whittling wood. Non-issue for me
anycal

Post by anycal »

Alex, I'll take 'Which :spyder: is part of my top 5 of all times' for 800, please.

Caly 3 and Native 5 I won't be without.

No issues with this one; no blade play at all. I was hoping to have a 3.5 by now, but the two I handled had too much lock rock for my taste. Still looking, or I'll just wait for the new one.

Peter